Is a DI recommended ?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Is a DI recommended ?

Postby ben.sunderland22 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:03 am

I have a Bass plugged into Focusrite USB interface, using 1/4 inch.
then I listen using headphones mainly.

I sometimes get hissing depending on the amp in Amp Sim.
Would a DI such as Behringer BDI21 be recommended or does the Amp s/w mean I dont need. ?
ben.sunderland22

Re: Is a DI recommended ?

Postby garfy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi ben.sunderland22

A separate DI box is generally not required if you are using the Instrument input on your AI. This should present the correct level and impedance to the AI with the gain control then taking over.

Adding in a DI box (and switching to a mic input) is just doing the same thing via a different route. The DI box presents the AI with a mic level signal and the gain then takes over. What it will also do is change your unbalanced guitar signal to a balanced one, which often cleans up SOME noise problems that may arise with interference, although hiss is not normally that problem (think electrical interference etc).

So, while a DI is not generally recommended/required, if you can borrow one from a friend to try it out to see if you get a cleaner signal, then there's no reason why you can't do it that way. Bear in mind however, that certain amp/cab combinations, particularly those with higher gain, will exhibit 'hissing' as part of the emulation as that's what some real amps sound like.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby ben.sunderland22 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:55 pm

thanks for the brillian detailed answer - makes sense. Yes is was the amp cab combo that made the hiss...
ben.sunderland22

Postby dlgebert » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:16 pm

ben.sunderland22 wrote:I sometimes get hissing depending on the amp in Amp Sim.

One thing I'll add to Garfy's comments is if the hiss/noise gets too obnoxious on the high gain amps you can utilize the noise gate found in the lower panel on the left next to the [Input Level] knob and meter in Amplitube 4.

Below is from the Amplitube 4 User Manual, section 3.2:

Code: Select all
The Noise Gate allows you to minimize the amount of unnecessary noise, especially if you are using high gain.

Threshold
This sets the threshold level for the signal. When the signal drops below the set threshold level, the noise gate silences the signal. Usually, keep the threshold level at the lowest possible value (fully counterclockwise) and set it higher only when you need to activate the gate.

Release
It sets the gate release time. Higher values will result in a gate that takes a longer amount of time to close again, when the input signal drops below the threshold.

Depth
This control determines how much the signal is attenuated when the gate closes, from -20 dB to -100 dB.  Default is -60 dB, which is a strong attenuation that usually works fine in most cases. If you need to add more attenuation, increase this parameter.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:04 am

Another option if you have the collections in which they are included, the gates from Dimebag CFH, Slash, and Brian May collections are superb. I tend to go with them in that order (unless I'm using a chain of all/almost all gear from one of those collections then I like to "pair" the gate).
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:23 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Another option if you have the collections in which they are included, the gates from Dimebag CFH, Slash, and Brian May collections are superb. I tend to go with them in that order (unless I'm using a chain of all/almost all gear from one of those collections then I like to "pair" the gate).

+1 to this! I admit I've not yet figured quite how the Dime Noise Gate works when I've had it on trial fom the CS :? but I used the /Gate all the time after the Slash collection was released. I've more recently started to use the Star Gate everywhere. Fantastic.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:02 pm

carlaz wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:Another option if you have the collections in which they are included, the gates from Dimebag CFH, Slash, and Brian May collections are superb. I tend to go with them in that order (unless I'm using a chain of all/almost all gear from one of those collections then I like to "pair" the gate).

+1 to this! I admit I've not yet figured quite how the Dime Noise Gate works when I've had it on trial fom the CS :? but I used the /Gate all the time after the Slash collection was released. I've more recently started to use the Star Gate everywhere. Fantastic.

I would say I like them all for different reasons. The Slash Gate and Star Gate are easiest to just get going fast, and the Dime gate is very tweakable. The Dime gate into the Rockman is very cool. I know the Satch presets using the Rockman model also add his overdrive which honestly I didn't really need but I was going more for a Boston feel and some really trippy clean sounds with soupy delays/reverbs added.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:21 pm

Peter_IK wrote:The Slash Gate and Star Gate are easiest to just get going fast, and the Dime gate is very tweakable. The Dime gate into the Rockman is very cool.

Having stared at the Dime Gate a bit more, I suppose the low-pass filter just lets you decide where you want to start filtering, similar to but different than how the Slash Gate lets you choose whether to filter higher frequencies, mid frequencies, or the full frequency band. I should give it another try.

Peter_IK wrote:I know the Satch presets using the Rockman model also add his overdrive which honestly I didn't really need but I was going more for a Boston feel and some really trippy clean sounds with soupy delays/reverbs added.

Yes, I tended to pull out the overdrive from in front of the Rockman when playing with the Satch presets. If I wanted some kind of emphasis with it (to make it sit back in or jump out of a given track), I think would probably do it through post-processing EQ.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:45 pm

carlaz wrote:If I wanted some kind of emphasis with it (to make it sit back in or jump out of a given track), I think would probably do it through post-processing EQ.

Also play with that input gain that's on the Rockman interface itself. That really can enhance things though I think it might be maxed out by default. I found backing that off a bit could give great results, then you can really "lean into it" for some push.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling