Newbie to Amplitube 3 seeks help

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Newbie to Amplitube 3 seeks help

Postby FerranW » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:41 pm

Hi fellow forum members,
I am having difficulty setting up my A-3.
Gear consists of HP dedicated laptop - windows 7 and Linux Tricia dual sys.
I have 2 interface devices - Alesis iO2-Express, and Steel Sound Card 5-Hv2 (usb)
Bluetooth wireless headphones
With Windows 7 as O/S and the 5-Hv2 I have been able to load and listen to an Mp3 file that I intend to loop as I learn to play it.
My problem is in being able to hear both the Mp3 file and a guitar plugged into the Hv2 device.
I have on occasion seen the guitar input led's bouncing and cannot yet figure out how to set up the sound settings that result in using the loop system to learn my song ... or for that matter, being able to use my A-3 simply to set up and play guitar.
So very confusing for me - a senior with limited tech skills.
If anyone knows about a formal tutorial video that steps me through the setup process I'll be so grateful.
Farren Wintrop
FerranW

Re: Newbie to Amplitube 3 seeks help

Postby garfy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:34 pm

Hi Farran and welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything about the Steel Sound Card 5-Hv2, but I think the Alesis iO2 Express is going to be the more appropriate interface for what you want to achieve. However, the biggest problem is going to be the bluetooth headphones. Because they are wireless in nature, you will always have a delay (latency) in sound being transmitted to them. Thus, whatever you play on your guitar you will always hear after the fact and won't be very conducive to playing.

Do you have any wired headphones or a speaker system that can be used instead?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby FerranW » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:03 pm

Hello Garfy and thank you for your reply.
I have a set of wired headphones - they are seriously cumbersome as the cable constantly gets in the way of playing - hits the strings - gets fouled up with my hands etc.
I'm 76 years of age, elected to quit playing on a television show I had back in the 60's.
I'm retired now living in Ecuador alone and am attempting to return to my youthful passion for guitar.
Though I'm not computer illiterate, I'm quite challenged to navigate the complexities of all the settings that simply installing and hooking up the devices I have available as interfaces.
It's been 6 weeks since I received Amplitube as a gift from a friend, and thinking version 4 might have addressed the interface and latency issues, I upgraded to 4.
Searching for a very basic tutorial that instructs with more details about installing and hooking up to it to this point has proven fruitless. All the video production I found on Youtube are prepared with knowledgeable musicians in mind - not newbies to the technical world of present day musicians.
In my frustration, I also purchased Amplion and am having the same issues resulting from lack of technical savvy.
So in honesty - I must tell you that offering me any form of assistance is tantamount to hand-holding and I won't be offended if you decline further correspondence.
Sincerely
Ferran Wintrop
FerranW

Postby garfy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi Ferran

FerranW wrote:So in honesty - I must tell you that offering me any form of assistance is tantamount to hand-holding

To be honest, I don't own any of these products (except AT4) and I work on a Mac so my knowledge of Windows is sketchy. But I'll try my best...

So, first things first

FerranW wrote:I have a set of wired headphones - they are seriously cumbersome as the cable constantly gets in the way of playing - hits the strings - gets fouled up with my hands etc.

You can buy headphone extension cables that help with this. I then sling the cable over my shoulder to get it completely out of the way.

Next, have you installed the drivers for the Alesis iO2 or connected it to see if it will work ie output audio from YouTube or similar?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:14 pm

At the risk of confusing things ;) ...

Yes, there are several steps to get you up and running.

I would go with the Alesis unit too. And put the Bluetooth 'phones to one side for the moment too.

It looks as though you can just plug the Alesis into a USB port on your PC and your guitar into a Line In on the Alesis. And your monitors (or wired 'phones, for the moment) into the Alesis. Golden rule: turn down all the levels before you start.

Now, for AmpliTube. The "AmpliTube Custom Shop" product is free and will give you access to the latest version of AmpliTube 4 ("AT4") with a few gear models. If you have Registered your old AT3, then you can get its gear in AT4 too.

Please download and run the AmpliTube Custom Shop" installer from here https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/. It installs three programs:
-- the AT4 standalone program and plug-ins,
-- the Custom Shop standalone program,
-- the Authorization Manager standalone program.

Start the Authorization Manager program and Authorize AT4 using the Serial number from your User Area (link above). Close the Manager.

Start the Custom Shop, login in you your User account, select the AmpliTube section, the select [Gear] then "Restore my Gear". This makes the AT3 gear models available in AT4. Close the Custom Shop.

Start up the AT4 program and in its Settings menu, open the Audio MIDI Set-up; there select the Alesis as the audio input and output devices. Details are in the AT4 User Manual.

Now you should be good to go. Turn off Direct Monitoring on the Alesis (so the signal path is guitar -> Alesis -> computer -> AmpliTube -> computer -> Alesis -> 'phones). Play your guitar and you should here it in the 'phones.

There will be some delay but we can deal with that later.

Now try selecting a different Amp or other gear model in AT4 and see how the sound changes.

Let us know how it goes. :)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby FerranW » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:42 pm

Goodness - step by step instructions - will print and follow them
Many thanks to you both.
FW
FerranW

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 pm

Take it one step at a time. If you get stuck or run into something, then stop. DOnt carry on, but come back here and ask.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby FerranW » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:47 pm

Definitely - will do many thanks
fw
FerranW

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 pm

... Any news?
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby FerranW » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:39 pm

Hello Darkstar - and fellow members,
A bit of indulgence - had a bit of a glitch with cardio condition and have just today returned to my humble studio.

I followed your super-easy-to-follow instructions and have guitar sounding marvelous with zero latency.

First issue is tuner - does not respond very well or accurately. So I tuned with my small Line 6 Amp.

Selected my preferred modules (I'm in Custom Shop) with Amplitube open and fail to grasp the manual's instructions as to how to "engage" the various modules I have selected - ie: Amp - Fender Twin - with digital delay. None alter the sound / effects I chose.

I loaded Neal Schon's "Why" onto the player and cannot figure how to listen to it through my crappy ear buds. I see the indicator moving across the screen w/o sound.

Getting past these hurdles might just get me started.

You are appreciated
Thank you.
Ferran
FerranW

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:13 pm

First of all, I hope that your cardio condition gets sorted out.

The Tuner should be doing a good job. If you have some specific issues it would be worth raising them with Technical Support who should be able to give you some good advice. Or other users may jump in here with suggestions.

To try out preferred modules
-- open the Custom Shop program, log in, go to the AmpliTube Section, find the gear and click [Try]
-- keep the Custom Shop program open (you can minimise it, I think)
-- run the AmpliTube program
-- in the appropriate section (e.g "Amp A") go to the area named "AMP MODEL" or "PRE MODEL" and select the gear model you want
That should change the sound - make sure that you have set the Alesis Monitoring to "USB". not "Direct".

That might resolve the player issue too.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby FerranW » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:34 pm

Darkstar seems a misnomer given the helpfulness you offer - Perhaps you have hidden your Light-saber? ... and thank you for your concern. I'll refrain from further exuberant texts - please know from here on I remain grateful for your advice.

Am printing out your latest post and will once again follow it closely.
Ferran
FerranW

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling