Anyone use Amplitube as a DAW plugin??

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Anyone use Amplitube as a DAW plugin??

Postby Ronnycharlas » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:32 am

I use Amplitube to record some scratch tracks at home, and when doing so, I use it in Logic Pro (either 9 or X). There seems to be a huge difference when using it as a plugin vs standalone though. For instance, when choosing a high-gain preset like a Metallica clone, it sounds weaker or much less saturated in Logic, and I have to add gain to make it sound like what one would expect from a Metallica high-gain preset. The same preset is fine without any adjustments when Amplitube is run in standalone mode. Does anyone else find this?

[Mod Edit: suspicious link removed; please do not do that again]
Last edited by Ronnycharlas on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnycharlas

Re: Anyone use Amplitube as a DAW plugin??

Postby supanorton » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Ronnycharlas wrote:I use Amplitube to record some scratch tracks at home, and when doing so, I use it in Logic Pro (either 9 or X). There seems to be a huge difference when using it as a plugin vs standalone though. For instance, when choosing a high-gain preset like a Metallica clone, it sounds weaker or much less saturated in Logic, and I have to add gain to make it sound like what one would expect from a Metallica high-gain preset. The same preset is fine without any adjustments when Amplitube is run in standalone mode. Does anyone else find this?

Hey man! I'll check this out later on today. I don't use AmpliTube in stand alone, so I'm very curious to see if there's a difference in Logic Pro X.
supanorton

Postby garfy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:04 pm

Just tried it and, if anything, it's a little louder in LPX compared to the standalone. But not by much.

Comparing the meters for both input and output in the plugin vs the standalone they're fairly equal, as far as I can tell by eye.

Maybe a ticket with support could shed some light on it. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/sw/
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby supanorton » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:43 pm

I just tried it with the AmpliTube Lead Metal W amp, no effects. Like garfy, I hear a little more volume in LPX, and I think the tone is also a bit brighter, almost harsh. This brightness may be because of slight volume increase. In stand alone, the sound is definitely warmer/darker. It sounds better to my ears.

With a slight decrease to the output and input signals in the plugin in LPX, I was able to dial in what I think is the same tone I heard in the stand alone.

I didn't notice less saturation in LPX. What version are you running? I'm running 10.5.1.
supanorton

Postby dmitch » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 pm

I use both Standalone and as a Pro Tools plugin. I usually find that for any given preset, the levels coming in to AT are off by 2-4 dB when comparing the DAW vs. standalone side by side. I haven't found a consistent workaround; I have to set the input level for each preset in the DAW. But once I get that right, I find that the each tone sounds identical - DAW vs. standalone. That is, all the difference in the way they appear to sound - the difference between DAW and standalone for a given preset - is solely due to the input level difference.
AmpliTube 5.7.0 MAX; 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, macOS 14.1; Logic Pro 10.7.9; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
dmitch

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:34 pm

The OP has copied the text directly from another thread and added some suspicious links.

The thread will remain open for the moment as it is a useful topic.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling