Satriani collection is available

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Satriani collection is available

Postby HappySpaceInvader » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:58 pm

emailmikenewingham wrote:@HappySpaceInvader Make sure you have the right version installed. Click the "Info" button at the bottom of the Amplitube window (left of center below the Input Level). If you are not running 4.10, you need to download the new version of AmpliTube from your User Area.

That was the problem... I was on 4.9.1. I was a bit worried about uninstalling before reinstalling, but there was an option to keep my presets.
HappySpaceInvader

Postby carlaz » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:29 pm

aaronaardvark wrote:What I'm hoping for most? The "Surfing With the Alien" lead guitar tone.

In the "Discography" presets, there is a "Surfing with the Alien rhythm", while in the "General" presets, there's a "Shred With The Alien" -- not sure how similar that might be to the lead. I must admit that I have not attempted to shred with any aliens, since my fingers are not nearly so nimble as are the good Mr Satriani's! :lol:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby tubemarker » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:38 pm

Is there fitting preset for Chords of life intro guitar sound?
tubemarker

Postby aaronaardvark » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:29 pm

carlaz,
Thank you for replying!
aaronaardvark

Postby jjguitar » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:17 pm

The Marshall JVM410HJS sounds awesome, IK´s best work so far :!:
That´s my favorite amp model now.
Load the amp with it´s default setting and move the 2nd mic towards the center. If it´s too dark choose the SM57. Place the yellow Satch overdrive pedal in front of the amp and adjust the drive to taste and you will get an amazing Hardrock / Metal rhythm tone. :D
The 69 Marshall cabinet is phenomenal :!: Try it with all the other Marshall amps and you will be surprised how good they sound now 8-)
Gear: Amplitube 5
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Postby dlgebert » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:16 pm

jjguitar wrote:The Marshall JVM410HJS sounds awesome, IK´s best work so far :!:

I agree 100%. As usual, IKM's attention to detail not only sonically, but visually as well keeps me coming back. :) Their Hammond B-3X for example is pure perfection.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby aaronaardvark » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:52 pm

I did find a video with a very good guitar player, though I don't think it was direct recorded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWTfVPl ... io=1&t=376

There is also a video on youtube with the IK Multimedia Joe Satriani Rockman vs a real Rockman (not by me though I used to own a Tom Scholz Soloist, a probably cheaper Rockman):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ELnb2P3wKI
aaronaardvark

Postby carlaz » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:47 pm

jjguitar wrote:The Marshall JVM410HJS sounds awesome, IK´s best work so far :!:
That´s my favorite amp model now [....]

Yes, there are honestly a huge number of good tones packed into that. It's like 3 or 4 amps in a single model -- and they're all quite good amps. If you like Marshall-style tones from various points in history and were going to get just one amp model, it should perhaps arguably be the Satch VM.

jjguitar wrote:The 69 Marshall cabinet is phenomenal :!: Try it with all the other Marshall amps and you will be surprised how good they sound now 8-)

Also "yes" to this. :mrgreen: I've been dropping the Satch Green cab model straight in to many of my "classic rock" type presets that use an otherwise similar Marshall-type cab and the Brit Green speaker model, and I almost instantly like stuff better with the Satch Green. 8-) I need to try it with some other speaker models besides to stock ones to see how it reacts.

I think the Cab Room -- with its various cab and speaker models -- remains AmpliTube's least well understood and appreciated feature. It's complex (and the UI could be altered to make accessing and using its features a bit more user-friendly, I think), but once you start getting your head around it, you start (in my case, perhaps only "start"! :lol: ) to realize how powerful it is for tone shaping.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby aaronaardvark » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:03 pm

I've watched this video a bunch of times in the last couple of years, and noticed Joe is using a Cry-Baby wah pedal at 0:57. I wonder if it would sound much different with the Vox wah pedal. Regardless, you guys should find this entertaining if you've never seen it before ("Surfing With the Alien" live):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0khAA ... qg&index=1
aaronaardvark

Postby jjguitar » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:46 pm

I think the Cab Room -- with its various cab and speaker models -- remains AmpliTube's least well understood and appreciated feature. It's complex (and the UI could be altered to make accessing and using its features a bit more user-friendly, I think), but once you start getting your head around it, you start (in my case, perhaps only "start"! :lol: ) to realize how powerful it is for tone shaping.

I agree. The cabinet choice with its micing is very important to achieve a very good sound. It makes the difference between an average to a superb tone.
I can recommand to buy Amplitube presets made by "choptones". I own several packs because they are very good starting points for creating your own presets.You can store his mic settings and use it with other cabinets for example. I like the "Panther Vol. 1" very much. It´s great for Hardrock / Heavy Metal.
Another huge factor is of course the guitar and the input volume of your audio interface.
I like to keep the input very low ( 0 - 3 ) even with PAF pickups for high distortion sounds.
Gear: Amplitube 5
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:20 pm

aaronaardvark wrote:I've watched this video a bunch of times in the last couple of years, and noticed Joe is using a Cry-Baby wah pedal at 0:57. I wonder if it would sound much different with the Vox wah pedal. Regardless, you guys should find this entertaining if you've never seen it before ("Surfing With the Alien" live):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0khAA ... qg&index=1

I don't know how huge a difference it might make (especially live) but I just can't do a thing with a wah pedal with my left foot. I sat there watching uncomfortably from the moment I noticed that. :D
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby aaronaardvark » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:52 am

Peter_IK,
I'm not very good with Talk Boxes, I've owned 2 of them, but I'm not bad with a wah pedal. I am right-handed. I pump the wah pedal with my right foot to the beat of the music. Not sure if that might work better for you. It does take a bit of practice.
aaronaardvark

Postby carlaz » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:57 pm

jjguitar wrote:I agree. The cabinet choice with its micing is very important to achieve a very good sound. It makes the difference between an average to a superb tone.
I can recommand to buy Amplitube presets made by "choptones". I own several packs because they are very good starting points for creating your own presets.You can store his mic settings and use it with other cabinets for example. I like the "Panther Vol. 1" very much. It´s great for Hardrock / Heavy Metal.

It's also no bad thing to go find some YouTube videos about mic'ing (real) guitar cabs; I find it all works very much the same way in AmpliTube (except that you're never really sure how far back from the modeled cab you are -- you just have to "use your ears" there.

I have a few little "test" projects in my DAW where I've just recorded some short passage of rhythm-guitar riffing that I can loop, with simple accompanying bass and MIDI drums (so I can hear things in a "mix" or "band" context), and then can mess around with AmpliTube etc. and see how things sound. One could set up something like that for one's self, pop your favorite amp and cab in there as starters, and then simply use one Dynamic 57 mic model crammed up against the speaker model's virtual cone or very slightly off the center of the cone. That replicates probably the most basic cab/speaker/mic set up in the last few decades of any music using electric guitars.

Then, you just playback your looped riff through AmpliTube and the rest of whatever chain you have, and move that mic around to see what happens in different positions. Compare how that works to what you see/hear in online videos about mic'ing guitar cabs.

Then you can move to the next level: try the Dynamic 57 crammed against the cone, and a Dynamic 421 off at the edge of the modeled speaker. That's probably the next most common guitar cab/speaker/mic configuration of recent decades. Now there are additional things to try besides just moving either of those mics around in relation to the speaker, like balancing their relative levels. Now things are becoming more complicated -- and we've only just scratched the surface! :geek:

Anyway, in lieu of piles of tutorial videos on the Cab Room from IKM, people could do worse than spending some time learning about mics and their placement when mic'ing cabs. A lot of "real world" tips transfer over to AmpliTube's Cab Room reasonably well (assuming you make the obvious allowances). Even if you end using IRs, you'll still be better off, since those all have particular mics and positions "baked into" them, and they often tell you what those mics and positions were. A little knowledge here can go a long way.

jjguitar wrote:Another huge factor is of course the guitar and the input volume of your audio interface. I like to keep the input very low ( 0 - 3 ) even with PAF pickups for high distortion sounds.

Gain staging matters! One has to watch levels from guitar into the interface, and then from the interface into the DAW and/or into AmpliTube.

If you are in a DAW, you also have to watch the levels coming out of AmpliTube into the rest of your chain. Assuming that you often want to be hovering around that -18 dBFS mark when hitting other plugins downstream, I often find I need to dial back the output from AmpliTube in my DAW fairly considerably. Of course, the output level is directly affected by what you are doing within AmpliTube as well; cranking volume and gain is going to lead to higher output. For some of the "louder" models in AmpliTube (I'm looking at you, Thunderverb 200! :lol: ), I sometimes have to bring down the levels from the mixer in the Cab Room section, as well as the master output knob, to keep things from blowing up. :shock:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby jschrade » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:40 pm

Is there any manual or guide on the amps and effects? Specifically on the channel and features switches and buttons. There are plenty on the JVM.

BTW, I spent some time with the JS Collection. Very inspiring! Absolutely crazy how realistic, they just keep getting better. Sustain and feedback, simply amazing!
jschrade

Postby DarkStar » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:05 pm

If the updated Gear Models manual is not installed when you update to AmpliTube 4.10.0 then go to your User Area / My Products and under your AmpliTube section click [Download Resources] to see the links.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

PreviousNext

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling