Satriani collection is available

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Satriani collection is available

Postby carlaz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Well, it seems the wait is over. The Satriani collection is available; you probably need to download/install the latest version of Amplitube (4.10.0, dated to today, 1 July 2020) and restore gear via the Custom Shop. But I have the new SJ50 amp model loaded up right now. 8-)

I'm curious about the new cab models. The Satch Green cab model sounds quite a bit different (and, IMO, pretty great!) in comparison with the good ol' 4x12 Closed 25 C model. Both presumably model Marshall 1960A cabs of some sort, but both cab models use the Brit Green speaker models by default ... so, I guess the tonal differences are effectively built-in to in the cab models, as such, rather than being in the speaker models? :ugeek:

Of course, the new Satch 60 cab model has the same Brit 75 speaker models as the Brit 9000 cab model, though as the latter models a 1960A and the former a 1960B, the audible difference in tone is more to be expected. Likewise, if you put Brit 75s into the 4x12 1960BV SL cab model (from the Slash collection), it also sounds different than the Satch 60 -- though the Slash cab does model a 1960BV, which had a different (higher) output than the 1960B.

But I do wonder about the Satch Green! (Though I am actually liking it more than the good ol' 4x12 Closed 25 C). I've never had the luxury of sitting down with a bazillion different physical cabs of the same actual model -- or at least quite similar models -- and checking how different they are. :lol: Are we really hearing that kind of difference here with the digital models? :ugeek: Are tonal differences between different real-world cab/speaker configurations on which the models are based being exaggerated in the "cab shell" models to accommodate the relatively limited range of speaker models (which, presumably unlike "real-world" speakers, are all awesomely consistent)?

It's all good. I'm digging the new toys (with which I have only just begun to play!). Worth the wait. But the übergeek in me does wonder. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Re: Satriani collection is available

Postby carlaz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:36 pm

Oops, through some mysterious computer glitch I don't understand, this post ended up duplicated. :? The Mighty Forum Moderators should probably kill off one of the copies/threads! :D
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:19 pm

... done :)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:44 pm

For this collection we modeled Joe's actual gear, and yes we model the cabinets not just the speakers. AmpliTube 4 brought huge improvements with the interaction of components and that included (in a big way) the interaction between cabinets and speakers.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:53 pm

And -- OMG! -- the Rockman is "instant Def Leppard"! 8-)
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby bugzapper » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:58 am

Peter_IK wrote:For this collection we modeled Joe's actual gear, and yes we model the cabinets not just the speakers. AmpliTube 4 brought huge improvements with the interaction of components and that included (in a big way) the interaction between cabinets and speakers.

Please clarify. From what you wrote here, it sounds like you are saying that you modeled Joe's gear, including both his cabinets and his speakers. But, the OP observes that the cabinet models in Amplitube Joe Satriani use the same speaker models as other Amplitube models.

Or, did IK put the company's own speakers in Joe's cabinets during the modeling process? Or, does the process work some other way?

I'm mostly just curious here, and I don't think the answer will have a dramatic effect on my buying decision. At the same time, I'm surprised at the possibility of new cab models making use of older speaker models, since it's pretty common, IIRC, for new cab models to have new companion speaker models.
bugzapper

Postby dlgebert » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:25 pm

So far, it's looking great, I didn't get a chance to really sit down with it yet. I'm looking forward to trying out the "JVM" model with the distinctive gold front panel. I've been waiting to try out the Boston 100... :)

If IKM can get a branding deal with Marshall and VOX like they did with Fender and Orange, that would be amazing! :D

Dave
dlgebert

Postby carlaz » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:28 pm

For my part, I care less about the branding. Those deals start and end; yesterday it was the "German Gain", today it's the Powerball; yesterday it was "Ampeg", today it's not; but it all sounds great both days. In recent years (perhaps especially in the higher-gain guitarospheres), amp-sim opinions are becoming about as polarized as opinions about real amps, with people asserting blindly that everything by a given manufacturer sucks or rules :roll: but, IMO, the recent stuff from AmpliTube is very good, especially for the price, and we all know of "name" guitarists or bands who have used even the earlier versions on commercial records, so ... there could be no licensed branding or no artist tie-ins, and I'm sure the resultant models would get their jobs done.

Anyway, I spent a fair bit of time on the day of release messing around with the new amps and cabs. (I dived less into the pedals, except insofar as noting what was used where and how as I flipped through the various presets. Most of the discographies of the artists with AmpliTube collections are not really that well known to me :lol: though they do have nice hardware toys that I'd like to try out. :geek: So I can't tell anyone how much this will make them sound like Joe Satriani 8-) but I can say there is very useful stuff here.

The Satch VM (i.e. Marshall JVM410HJS) is very powerful and flexible -- just as the physical amp is clearly intended to be. It is really a bunch of amp models in one. I probably spent more time playing with it than with anything else, and I've barely scratched the surface. And once you start pairing it up with further cab models outside the Satch collection, the tonal palette expands even more.

The SJ50 is much less complicated -- of course -- but, also as expected, you can dial in great hard rock and classic-modern metal tones very easily. The old Metal Lead V also approximated a 5150 (and is currently available free with the Metal collection to newletter subscribers); that's still a decent if somewhat elderly model, but the SJ50 is both different and (though tone is always subjective) better. It's probably more accurate, though I haven't got a real 5150 to crank up and test out! :lol: I have a few presets that used the old Metal Lead V, and I'm going to be slowly tweaking them around to use the SJ50. Overall, this is a bit like the old British S100 vs. the JH Gold; the S100 is OK in its way, and technically more flexible, though (IMO) the JH Gold smokes it, tone-wise, and I've used the JH Gold steadily since it came out. I expect I'll use the SJ50 more than I've used the Metal Lead V.

I know of many people who like pairing a 5150/6505-type amp with a Marshal cab with G12T-75s, exactly as presented here; I think I actually like other cabs or even just speakers with the SJ50, but even so, the Satch 60 cab makes another useful variant to the collection, as does the Satch Green (regardless of which speaker models it has). I do a lot of classic-rock voiced stuff, so I look forward to messing around with the Satch Green cab shell model and messing around with speaker models. (The cab room and all its parameters is AmpliTube's secret -- but probably poorly understood and poorly utilized -- weapon! I think one of the reasons people keep asking for a built-in IR loader is that it takes a fair bit of experience messing with the cab room before you even start thinking you begin to understand how to use it! Not unlike learning to mic actual cabs in actual studios ....)

Speaking of which, the Boston 100 is certainly the simplest amp model in the collection -- perhaps the simplest in AmpliTube :D -- but it does exactly "what it says on the tin": delivers you tones that Tom Scholz considered "fully produced" in 1984. So they are, of course, hugely dated tones in that sense 8-) but there are only a few controls, and so there's no messing around at all. You plug-in, flip a couple of switches, and you are suddenly awash in hairspray and carefully ripped jeans. :lol: The presets that use the Boston 100 tend to have various stomps and racks in the picture to coax out some more tonal variety, or sweetening. I'm sure producers like Mutt Lange poured additional EQ etc. on everything; the EQ racks in AmpliTube (I'd surely instead use my T-Racks etc. stuff in the DAW) may help you optimize things for your guitar.

I haven't jumped into the pedals much yet. Many of the presets combine the two Boss-type dirt pedals (Satch Overdrive and Satch Distortion) in interesting ways that bear further study. I've already tried dropping the Tube Overdrive into one of my Gilmour-style presets to see how I can make it work out there. :mrgreen: The Satch Octave looks interesting; I haven't used octave pedals much, though I recently had a hankering to try some things out. I didn't really get along with the one in the Slash collection (a somewhat divisive pedal, it seems), but the Satch Octave looks like an interesting and more flexible take on what the old Octav stomp does, so I will need to mess with it some more.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby DarkStar » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:40 pm

Another brilliant, clear and informative post.

Kudos :)

Maybe IK Multimedia will offer you a book deal. ;)
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby carlaz » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:47 pm

carlaz wrote:The SJ50 is much less complicated -- of course -- but, also as expected, you can dial in great hard rock and classic-modern metal tones very easily. The old Metal Lead V also approximated a 5150 ....

OK, I only realized this after writing the above, but I did eventually figure out that although the old Metal Lead V only modeled the 5150 lead channel, the SJ50 models the rhythm channel as well. But if you are looking at an SJ50 preset with the lead channel engaged, you don't see the rhythm channel controls at all. You have to click the red square above the "CHANNEL" label to switch to the rhythm channel, and then you'll see the additional "CRUNCH" and "BRIGHT" controls for that channel flanking the "CHANNEL" label.

So, having been used to the single channel of the Metal Lead V, the SJ50 is more complex than I originally realized :roll: (though not as complex as the Satch VM!).
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby carlaz » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:18 pm

DarkStar wrote:Another brilliant, clear and informative post. Kudos :) Maybe IK Multimedia will offer you a book deal. ;)

:lol: I think, though, I should caution that I have little-to-no experience with most of the real equipment being modeled. (In fact, other than the "based on Boss" dirt pedals, I don't think I've every actually played through any of the physical gear modeled in the Satch collection.)
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby HappySpaceInvader » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:12 pm

I can't get this thing working... it's been a long time since I've added a collection to Amplitube (the last one was the Brian May collection).

I've added the code to Authorization Manager, but the collection doesn't appear in Amplitube. What have I missed?
HappySpaceInvader

Postby emailmikenewingham » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:18 pm

@HappySpaceInvader Make sure you have the right version installed. Click the "Info" button at the bottom of the Amplitube window (left of center below the Input Level). If you are not running 4.10, you need to download the new version of AmpliTube from your User Area.
emailmikenewingham

Postby aaronaardvark » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:19 pm

Glad this product finally came out. Would love to try it, but I can't currently. Where are the mp3 or video demos? What I'm hoping for most? The "Surfing With the Alien" lead guitar tone. Though I wouldn't have a way to use the wah-wah without using a mouse. Unless there is some auto-wah. I do have a real Dunlop Cry-Baby wah pedal that I use a lot. I wonder if the IK wah sounds much different.
aaronaardvark

Postby DarkStar » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:21 pm

emailmikenewingham wrote:@HappySpaceInvader Make sure you have the right version installed. Click the "Info" button at the bottom of the Amplitube window (left of center below the Input Level). If you are not running 4.10, you need to download the new version of AmpliTube from your User Area.

And I think you will need to run Custom Shop, login, go to the AmpliTube tab and click [Gear}, then "Restore my Gear".
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling