Absolute noob with questions

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Absolute noob with questions

Postby Lefty_that_shreds » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:59 am

Hey what's goin on y'all!?! So listen I dont mean to be annoying or a nuisance, but I am totally new to the whole computer studio/ guitar platforms world. I want to start setting a nice little set up, up for myself but have no idea where to begin. I dont NEED to be able to record but maybe would like to option. I mainly just want to plug into computer, set whatever amps and tones I want, and then just jam out... my question is what am I going to need to achieve that??
Do I need a guitar interface or MIDI, or can I just purchase and download amplitube 4 deluxe, and just be good to go with that? Please help I'm clueless, my knowledge is more non-computers, real amps, processors, clueless with computer based software and what not... thank you guys I appreciate it!!!! Rock on!!!
Lefty_that_shreds

Re: Absolute noob with questions

Postby garfy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:45 am

Hi Lefty_that_shreds and welcome to the forums.

If you are starting with just a computer, then yes you will need someway of getting your guitar into it and sound out of it commonly known as an audio interface (AI). Prices vary with facilities and quality, so if you let us know a budget then I'm sure people will chime in with suggestions. Without trying to hard sell, there are a number of IKM interfaces for guitarists that come complete with included versions of AmpliTube, so you could start there if you wanted.

If you have decent headphones already then these can be used with an AI, or you could invest in some studio grade monitors. Again, price is pretty much related to quality.

As for recording, depending on what computer you use you could already have a solution for this. Macs come with Garageband pre-installed and that is a good way to get started. If not, there are free Digital Audio Workstations (DAW) out there and I've heard a lot of good things about Cakewalk by Bandlab for Windows.

Finally, you don't need MIDI (Musicial Instrument Digital Interface) unless you want to control software via the means of hardware such as a keyboard or control surface but you will often find that AI come with MIDI connections which means you can have them in case the need arises in the future.

Hope that gets you started. Feel free to come back with more questions when you have them.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Lefty_that_shreds » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:58 pm

Thanks a ton brotha I really appreciate it, I have been researching all day and have learned a whole new world of guitar possibility lol... I've looked into programs for my Samsung (Android) note 10+ and found a interface ummm "irig UA" I think, not sure on the first "i" of that, def sure on the UA tho, says that connects to phone and also if I read correctly i can connect to computer as well with that same rig.....

...so I think to play smart I'll begin there as well as I am gonna order "ampli4max", install on laptop, get some bullet for my valentine IR's from "presets for all", said can load those into 4 max via a certain process but it works so I read... and honestly after all that there is NO reason why I shouldnt scream like a lil girl and be happier than a pig in sh***t haha

...just been craving for years that raw tube powered metal tone that's super clear as well while still massively distorted and raw, Bullet kills that exactly, I mean of course with massive tone cranked out of those peavey 6505+ ayyeeee!!!! To die for!!!! Anyway my dude thanks again...

I'll most likely be back with more questions as I'm def not afraid to ask, cuz damnit I dunno sh**t!!!!! Lmfao, have a great day brotha... rock on \m/

Thanks a bunch @garfy
garfy wrote:Hi Lefty_that_shreds and welcome to the forums.

If you are starting with just a computer, then yes you will need someway of getting your guitar into it and sound out of it commonly known as an audio interface (AI). Prices vary with facilities and quality, so if you let us know a budget then I'm sure people will chime in with suggestions. Without trying to hard sell, there are a number of IKM interfaces for guitarists that come complete with included versions of AmpliTube, so you could start there if you wanted.

If you have decent headphones already then these can be used with an AI, or you could invest in some studio grade monitors. Again, price is pretty much related to quality.

As for recording, depending on what computer you use you could already have a solution for this. Macs come with Garageband pre-installed and that is a good way to get started. If not, there are free Digital Audio Workstations (DAW) out there and I've heard a lot of good things about Cakewalk by Bandlab for Windows.

Finally, you don't need MIDI (Musicial Instrument Digital Interface) unless you want to control software via the means of hardware such as a keyboard or control surface but you will often find that AI come with MIDI connections which means you can have them in case the need arises in the future.

Hope that gets you started. Feel free to come back with more questions when you have them.
Lefty_that_shreds

Postby garfy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:28 pm

No problems Lefty_that_shreds

This is the iRig UA https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... php?p=info

I know next to nothing about Android I'm afraid, but this says it will work with phones and tablets running Android. And, yes, you can hook it up to a Mac or Windows PC with an additional USB to micro USB cable.

Lefty_that_shreds wrote:get some bullet for my valentine IR's from "presets for all", said can load those into 4 max via a certain process but it works so I read

This bit I'm not too sure about however. There is no IR loader in AT4, but it may well be that these are presets derived directly from AT4 - you should check with the third party to be sure though.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling