Latency or crackling/popping: why?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Latency or crackling/popping: why?

Postby giovanni.stockholm » Sat May 30, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi everyone! Been using Ableton Live for producing indie/alternative rock since 2011, i.e. real guitar, bass and pedals, all the rest created in Ableton; I’ve recorded 2 albums and never had any problems whatsoever … until I decided to go almost all digital and tried out Amplitube 4 (Custom Shop) as a VST.

Now when I plug my guitar into the audio interface and I set the buffer size to 512, I have way too much latency to be able to play on the beat: sort of constant slapback delay and palm muting is totally impossible. If I go down one step to 256 (the Scarlett 214 device manager doesn’t allow anything in between), the latency disappears but I hear crackling and popping, so I cannot record. :roll:

The laptop is a HP less than one year old, Intel i5 7th generation, 8GB RAM, 120 GB free on C:, which I thought should be enough to run just Ableton 10 Suite and one single plugin. I also set the laptop for high performance, don’t have any other program running, have even tried being offline with disabled antivirus and firewall, also tried choosing “reduce latency when monitoring” in Ableton, but still the same latency problem or crackling and popping.

Note that the CPU meter in Ableton stays in the range 30-55 all the time, with only one simple midi beat and an audio track recording. What’s wrong? :?
giovanni.stockholm

Re: Latency or crackling/popping: why?

Postby garfy » Sun May 31, 2020 10:37 am

Hi giovanni.stockholm and welcome to the forums.

Have you tried opening AT4 as a standalone to see if the problem happens outside of Ableton?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling