Really Boomy Audio in Amplitube 4

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Really Boomy Audio in Amplitube 4

Postby travis.laack » Tue May 19, 2020 5:44 am

Hello,

I have been playing with Amplitube 4 but can't seem to get a good higher gain tone from it. When I add an amp (using the Metal V and a few others) and a cab the sound is really muddy and boomy. If I add an OD it cleans it up but I would prefer to try to capture just a straight up 5150 type high gain tone straight to cab then mic and add effects later. Any tips?

Should I just bypass the Amp room and use an external IR loader? I would like to avoid that an learn how to get a good cutting cab sound using the AT4 software but am running out of ideas without adding an EQ in the rack or the front end.

Thank you for the help!
travis.laack

Re: Really Boomy Audio in Amplitube 4

Postby FrThib » Tue May 19, 2020 7:49 pm

I would try a different cab, why not use a 1x12? they can be great even for metal. I really like the orange one.
of if you really like the cab you''re using, you can change the speakers..

You can back the Mic to remove some of the bass..

Or you can just ignore the issue since any recorded guitar will need postEq to fit in the mix.

If you want to just play-along, I would use a ParaEq with the 100hz pulled down a few Db as a "temporary fix".
FrThib

Re: Really Boomy Audio in Amplitube 4

Postby cybermaster » Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 pm

The default settings are a good starting point. I haven't found any of them to be overly boomy with metal tones. Start with some default high gain "Lead" setup. Then go to the cab section and deselect "Match", so that the cab models don't change when you switch amps. Then start switching different amp models until you find one with the gain you want. This is the easiest way I can think to start without too much fiddling required. Swapping different individual speakers is a good way to make a drastic tone change without getting lost in the madness of fooling with the mic placement.

The one drawback of Amplitube's versatility is that it is really easy to dial in bad sounds if you aren't careful. But this is pretty accurate to real life! I've driven myself crazy more than once fiddling around with a mic in front of a 4x12 cab trying to find the right spot. Like I said, most of their presets are decent and good starting points for making tweaks to fit your taste.

Which room you've chosen can also have a big affect on how boomy it may sound. Try tuning the room mics down all the way and see if maybe that helps.
cybermaster

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling