Record Amplitube Standalone to Ableton Live

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Record Amplitube Standalone to Ableton Live

Postby utensil25 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:31 pm

I have the exact sound I want to record in Amplitube standalone and I simply wish to record it to a track in Ableton Live on my Macbook Pro (I know that it can be used as a VST plugin, but this is NOT what I want to do). I'm using the AXE I/O interface.

Can someone help? I can only get the clean/unprocessed sound into Live.
Thanks much

Amplitube 4.9.1
Ableton Live 10.1.9
OS X 10.13.6
utensil25

Re: Record Amplitube Standalone to Ableton Live

Postby garfy » Tue May 12, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi utensil25 and welcome to the forums.

Well, if you really don't want to use AT4 as a plugin (I'd be interested to know why) I guess you have two choices.

1) Find some way of routing an output from AXE I/O back into a Line In and recording it that way.

2) Finding another piece of software that can route signal internally, like Audio Hijack, but anything decent would cost you money I reckon.

If you go with 1, you would probably only be able to record it back in mono and the chances of a feedback loop are inherent in what you are trying to do.

Someone else might chime in with a solution that I haven't thought of.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby utensil25 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Thanks for the quick response

1) Find some way of routing an output from AXE I/O back into a Line In and recording it that way.

Can you explain what you mean here -- the only way I have to get into the computer is via the AXE I/O... Do you mean use a 2nd interface?

2) Finding another piece of software that can route signal internally, like Audio Hijack

I have hijack, but haven't been able to set it up correctly - anyone done this?
utensil25

Postby garfy » Wed May 13, 2020 11:31 am

utensil25 wrote:1) Find some way of routing an output from AXE I/O back into a Line In and recording it that way.

Can you explain what you mean here -- the only way I have to get into the computer is via the AXE I/O... Do you mean use a 2nd interface?

I don't have AXE I/O so I'm only presuming, but if your guitar is plugged into channel one could you output the effected signal back into the line input on channel two? You would have to fudge the signal flow in the software to avoid a feedback loop happening, so take care if you've got headphones turned up.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby utensil25 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:32 am

[Mod edit: duplicate post deleted]

I eventually got this working using the open-source Blackhole software (https://existential.audio/blackhole/).

Hijack does NOT provide this functionality, though the ($99) Loopback supposedly does (I haven't tested it).
utensil25

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling