Sound through the BassMan 59 Is too thin - help needed

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Sound through the BassMan 59 Is too thin - help needed

Postby overg1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:40 pm

Hello,

I am quite new to the amps simulators world, and I tried Sample Tank Cs ( btw if someone can tell me the difference between it and Amplitube 4 I will be greatful :))

Anyway I am using Gibson 335 pluged to Baby Face Pro audio interface and into a Mac.

When I load the new amp that I bought (the BassMan 59) I get few errors that tell me that some modules are missing ( like some microphones and cabinets) but the amp can play with some limitations. I approve the message and the sound of the guitar sound too thin.

My questions are:

1) There are so many volume knobs to turn, which one of them should I use when I want to make the sound better?

- The voulme knob at the guitar?
- The one at the Audio interface?
- The one in the Amplitube software?
- The one in the amp simulator of the Bass Man 59?
- The headphones volume?

2) How can I add the missing modules?

3) What amp is recommanded for Gibson 335?

4) How can I add reverb? Is there one implmented in Amplitube for all amps? Or do I need to buy speical effect pedal?
overg1

Re: Sound through the BassMan 59 Is too thin - help needed

Postby dlgebert » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:27 pm

overg1 wrote:I tried Sample Tank Cs ( btw if someone can tell me the difference between it and Amplitube 4 I will be greatful :))

SampleTank is a "Virtual Instrument" (VSTi) that has a collection of instrument libraries that allow you to play "virtual" instruments like a violin, synthesizer, guitar, choir, piano, etc. Even though you don't have these physical instruments, you can play them virtually with a keyboard. They also include effects like reverb so the core instruments can sound even better.

Amplitube is a virtual amplifier emulator and would be considered an effect (VST), since it doesn't generate sound on its own like SampleTank does. It's like having a studio full of expensive, vintage amplifiers, speaker cabinets, stomp effects and rack effects, but you still need an instrument like your guitar to play thru it, like you would with physical equipment.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby overg1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:22 pm

But I see that I contain Amplitube as well...
And what about my other questions? :)
overg1

Postby garfy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:33 pm

Hello overg1 and welcome to the forums.

overg1 wrote:1) There are so many volume knobs to turn, which one of them should I use when I want to make the sound better?

- The voulme knob at the guitar?
- The one at the Audio interface?
- The one in the Amplitube software?
- The one in the amp simulator of the Bass Man 59?
- The headphones volume?

Well, depending on how you want it to sound, it's a combination (although 'better' sound is subjective). As long as you are gain staging correctly you will get differences within the software, however first things first:

After plugging your guitar into your AI, check that the level going in is appropriate. Personally, I start with the volume on the guitar at its highest. Then increase the gain on your AI input until the input level showing on its meters averages around -12dBFS. Try and keep loudest peaks to -6dBFS. This is the important bit of gain staging as once it's gone through your AI it becomes a digital signal, rather than analogue.

After that, it's all down to a matter of taste and what kind of sound you are hoping to achieve. The input level control on the (bottom left) of the AT4 GUI can then be raised if required, but has no bearing on any recorded signal if you're using AT4 in a DAW. The volume on the amp module replicates the real world volume control so can introduce breakup on the speaker if required.

The headphone (or monitor) level is purely an analogue control of your AI and the only rule there is to set it to a comfortable level, but be aware of possible hearing damage should you push it too far.

overg1 wrote:2) How can I add the missing modules?

You're probably seeing this message if you try to open a preset that includes gear that you do not own. You can add missing modules by buying them via the Custom Shop app that would have been installed along with AT4. You can also use the Custom Shop to trial any module before you buy it.

overg1 wrote:3) What amp is recommanded for Gibson 335?

Really this will be a personal choice, depending on things like the style of music you're playing, what sound you want to achieve, your playing style etc.

overg1 wrote:4) How can I add reverb? Is there one implmented in Amplitube for all amps? Or do I need to buy speical effect pedal?

You can buy stomp effects and rack effects to add reverb into your tone, as well as some amp models including it if it was on the original unit. If you are using AT4 within a DAW, you can add reverb there as well.

Hope that answers your questions.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby carlaz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:50 pm

garfy wrote:
overg1 wrote:4) How can I add reverb? Is there one implmented in Amplitube for all amps? Or do I need to buy speical effect pedal?

You can buy stomp effects and rack effects to add reverb into your tone, as well as some amp models including it if it was on the original unit. If you are using AT4 within a DAW, you can add reverb there as well.

I tend to go very light on reverb, but I will say that (whether mixing or just messing around with the AmpliTube standalone app) one of my favorite things to do instead of adding "reverb" is actually just tweaking the level of the "room mics" in the AmpliTube cab room section.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby overg1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:04 pm

Thanks for the detailed replay. I will try to work with it and see if it gets any better :)
overg1

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling