Big, wide, 2 amp sound, without phase issues?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Big, wide, 2 amp sound, without phase issues?

Postby Kisame » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:11 pm

So if I want to make a "wide, big" guitar sound with 2 amps, without running to phase issues, how would I do that? Is it too ambitious to try run 2 different amps in stereo? I've been trying to get 2 different guitar amps sound nice, but even though I do some compromise (I match the cabinet settings for both), I still end up getting phase issues, and the middle channel of the signal suffers from this.

Are there some guidelines/tips I should follow, when trying to create a "usable" stereo sound with two amps? :D

EDIT: I wanna clarify, I've been trying to use the Chain #2, with Stereo In mode.
Kisame

Re: Big, wide, 2 amp sound, without phase issues?

Postby Taciturn » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:43 am

You could maybe try to add a short delay to one side of the chain. Doing this kind of magnifies the stereo effect, seperates the amps and can sometimes help with phasing. I've had some luck messing with this. I usually set the delay all the way to the shortest setting 1st. You might have to take the delay off the tempo sync to do that. Then slowly start turning up the delay in milliseconds until you get the stereo field your looking for. Make sure every cab/effect block & cab mic after the amps are panned more to the left and right sides, otherwise you'll still have bleed into the center.

Another thing you can mess with is maybe change one of the cabs. While keeping the same amps, changing one of the cabs to a different but similar cab can change the sound enough to get a better stereo mix.

Using different EQ settings for each chain can help seperate the amps, too. You can try sweeping an EQ frequency on one chain to find a better stereo mix. Sometimes I'll pull one band of the parametric EQ all the way down on maybe just Rack B, narrow the Q all the way and kind of sweep through the frequencies until I hear both of the sides split more. Then push that frequency back up so it's not so drastic and sounds more natural.

You could try any one or a combination of these ways to see if it helps your sound. I've had luck with using these tactics to get a more "usable" stereo sound. I know that's pretty subjective. I also only use the Mono In for Chain 2 when I use it, though.
Taciturn

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling