Why does this sound so terrible?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Why does this sound so terrible?

Postby Milew6623 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:59 am

I bought the AXE/IO with Amplitube 4 delux and I feel like I have no options for heavy distortion, something I asked before buying becasue in the past I always needed an amp, and that is what I wanted to avoid. I saw video after video of people playing heavy ass riffs and they all said it was from ampitube. So what the heck do I need to do in order to have this sound like an actual heave distorted amp? I am bummed so far if all get was this "$1000" of free software that has NO PRESETS?! How do I load presets? I try to open a metal amp, and it says the presets are not there. If I have to pay anything more to get what I was told this can do I am returning it tomorrow. Support is awful, no one answers, the "tech support" option tells you to look at FAQ, it is a nightmare. Can anyone tell me what they have theirs setup like to get a heavy pantera/metallica tone. Again, I paid 400$ and better have access to this.
Milew6623

Re: Why does this sound so terrible?

Postby Milew6623 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:06 am

I word for word asked a rep on Instagram if all I needed was the axe/io package, a computer and guitar in order to get the heavy distortion I was seeing in videos, I was told over and over, yes. It comes with 1000 dollars worth of software. This is my first time using this, and was hoping 400$ would buy me distortion and not this week blusey laggy **** that sounds fake. I tried to open a amp and it said no preset...I googled presets and saw $179, I will **** scream if I have to pay more money to get an actual amp sound/ Why do they lie? I am pissed beyone beliefe at the crap sound, lag and lack of support (other than look at the FAQ ). So damned mad! I called 15 **** times today and no one ansered, tech support is non extistent - look at FAQ.

WHY was I told I would have access to all kinds of metal amps and sounds when I **** dont"?
Milew6623

Postby garfy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:24 am

Hello Milew6623

I'm sorry you appear to be frustrated with the products you have purchased from IKM. I will try to deal with some of your concerns, BUT I will also re-iterate what you have been advised in previous threads that have now been locked: this is a user-to-user forum NOT direct to technical support. Civility is expected in the language and tone you use in your comments, which includes self-censorship by using **** in your text as this still implies certain levels of language which are not tolerated on this forum. Please do not do this again.

Now, I take it from this thread that you have successfully got your AXE I/O installed and working (as per your previous threads), so this would suggest that you are having issues with using AmpliTube 4 after installation of the software.

Milew6623 wrote:How do I load presets?

There are 2 ways to load the included presets
1) using the Preset window at the top of the GUI. When you open the software it will say 'Default' but by clicking that window it will offer you a dropdown tree of the various collections and presets.
2) using the Preset browser, next to the Preset window. By clicking this, it will offer a library of all presets which includes a basic sound character description to help you choose. It is also searchable.
Caveat - as you have AT4 DELUXE some of these presets will either be unavailable or incomplete and the software will advise you of that, as they may include gear from collections which you do not own. Check the User Guide, chapter 4 (4.1 and 4.2) for more information on using presets.

Milew6623 wrote:I googled presets and saw $179, I will **** scream if I have to pay more money to get an actual amp sound

This may well be a third-party selling presets. IKM do not sell preset packages and you do not need to spend any more money just for presets.

Milew6623 wrote:I word for word asked a rep on Instagram if all I needed was the axe/io package, a computer and guitar in order to get the heavy distortion I was seeing in videos, I was told over and over, yes.

Whoever you spoke to was correct. BUT this obviously also depends on how you are listening back to the tones that AT4 can generate. You cannot expect heavy guitar sounds to be successfully reproduced if you are monitoring on laptop speakers or cheap PC speakers. Good quality headphones, studio monitors or a flat response amp/cab will always be better.

Milew6623 wrote:So damned mad! I called 15 **** times today and no one ansered, tech support is non extistent - look at FAQ.

Looking through the FAQ section is going to be the best way to quickly get answers to your questions. If there are issues that have been flagged up before, or problems that need a workaround, that is the place to look. Other issues however, i.e. ones which only appear to be specific to a single user and their own computer/hardware setup are best dealt with by Official IKM Support Team. This team however is not contactable by phone (so I'm not sure what number you have been calling). The appropriate method of communication is to open a support ticket using this link https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/ so your case can be tracked and formal one-to-one help can be given.

For completeness, I will remind you to check the rules about posting on the forum, which can be viewed here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19505" and specifically #3 "...please note that posts merely complaining about how long a support ticket is taking, IK Support in general, or similar will be locked or removed. You can send a private message to Ryan_IK with your ticket number if you feel a ticket is taking too long or is not being handled to your satisfaction."

I will not lock this thread yet as a courtesy to allow you a right to reply, but please refrain from posting multiple times about the same problem, or your views on Support. Follow the correct channels and they will help you.

Hopefully this has been of some help to you, so you can use AT4 as you want to. With the DELUXE package which you have, there are plenty of heavy guitar sounds that can be played through (obviously the term 'heavy' can be subjective :D )
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby carlaz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:10 pm

Milew6623, it's kind of hard to tell how you are trying to use AmpliTube, but it seems a bit like you might be using it "not as intended".

As most users could tell you, there are piles of factory presets included with AmpliTube (even the free version comes with a bunch), though of course they run a gamut of styles from clean to heavily distorted. If you are having trouble navigating the UI, to learn how to access the factory presets, the manual may be of use :geek: though there are also numerous YouTube videos (official and user-made) that explain this kind of thing.

As garfy notes, IKM does not sell preset-only packages (though various 3rd-parties do), so you may have confused yourself there. The IKM factory presets (or probably anyone else's) can be a useful way to get started, though I generally prefer to adapt them or make my own. There is a Facebook user group for sharing user-made presets.

By the way, there are various good YouTube videos on using AmpliTube to get heavy tones (though, frankly, if you basically just use the software as you would use any amp/cab/etc. setup in a studio, it will generally work the same way). For the moment, I'll point particularly to those by Ola Englund (who seems at least to be pretty well-known and respected in the heavy guitar tones department):

If good ol' Ola's results are still insufficiently heavy ... well, there are still plenty of good models of amps based on the actual gear made by Mesa, ENGL, Orange, Soldano, Marshall, and others, along with piles of cabs (though, if you like, in a DAW, you can always bypass the cab etc. sections of AmpliTube and put an IR loader after AmpliTube for added flexibility) and mic models.

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people who can tell (or, at least, who claim to be able to tell) the difference between a whole bunch of mic'd up amps and even contemporary digital modeling -- but, given that contemporary digital modeling is, realistically, not that bad, and most people (especially listeners!) probably cannot actually tell the difference between a mic'd up amps and digital modeling ... well, if you still can't get an acceptably "heavy" tone out of AmpliTube, then a studio full of actual physical gear might not help that much either.

In any case, my advice it to 1) get comfy with how the software works :geek: and 2) start using it to make music. 8-)
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:38 pm

Those aren't typed asterisks, they are actual profanity that is blocked automatically by the forum software.

Yes, this has been covered and the fact that this forum is not for direct support and it didn't seem to land, so this thread will be locked and this time there are further consequences.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling