Why are the preset output levels so inconsistent?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Why are the preset output levels so inconsistent?

Postby craigik » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:03 am

I am using a new installation and the preset output levels are all over the place. For example, just in the default programs, the #3 Big 800 Rhythm output level is so low that I can hardly hear it and when I switch to #4 Crystal Planet it is pushing the red on the output meters. Is there some logic to this inconsistency?
craigik

Re: Why are the preset output levels so inconsistent?

Postby carlaz » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:38 pm

I think at least some of it is simply how much gain/volume the given models in the presets put out. Some amps are very much louder than others, and of course turning the master volume or gain on a given model up or down affects things (as can mic levels, rack model levels, etc.).

I find that I generally have to crank the master output back considerably to keep levels hovering around -18 dBFS in my DAW, though those same (fairly low) levels are a little less convenient when just playing through the standalone app and noodling around.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Michael Dees » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:34 am

I have this issue as well. Even if you turn all the volumes up the levels are quite low. I experience this with presets from the Orange Collection and the Slash Collection as well as some others. Most of the presets levels are fine but there are some with levels so low they’re unusable. Is there a way to fix this issue?
Michael Dees

Postby carlaz » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Set the levels how you like, and re-save the preset?
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby DarkStar » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:10 pm

^^^
Remember to save them with a slightly different name as factory presets may well be overwritten by the next update.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby carlaz » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:14 pm

Good point. I usually save my own version of the "Default" preset, but software updates do tend to overwrite it. I usually take that as a cue to update my preferred "Default", but it would be less fun if I had customized a whole bunch of factory presets and then they got overwritten.

Frankly, I would leave all the default factory presets as-is. Make a new folder at the top level for your own presets, and save anything on which you adjust the levels or any presets you otherwise adapt and make yourself in there. Your own custom folder will be safe from overwrites.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Ramses2ii » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:14 am

Hello,

this is an old thread (and I'm new to Amplitube), but this "problem" still seems to be in Amplitube 5 MAX. And I guess it will not go away, as it is not really a problem of Amplitube.

I'm pushing AXE I/O + Amplitube 5 MAX preset sounds through my PA and I can say that the output levels are very inconsistent.

When I'm just running through those hundreds of presets for testing which ones to choose for my own preferred presets, they keep me close to my PA mixer and volume sliders, as some presets break my home studio walls and my ears, while some presets are very low on volume.

So my question is how to "normalize" them the right way before saving them to my own preset folder with a changed name?

I mean what would be the best way to make presets equal in volume without ruining the original sound of the preset? Volume knob of virtual amp? Volume pedal somewhere in the chain? What else?

Thanks.
AXE I/O - AmpliTube 5 MAX - Tonex MAX - Behringer FCB1010+EurekaPROM3.2
Ramses2ii

Postby carlaz » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:44 pm

Ramses2ii wrote:I mean what would be the best way to make presets equal in volume without ruining the original sound of the preset? Volume knob of virtual amp? Volume pedal somewhere in the chain? What else?

Probably the simplest way is to adjust the output volume.

However, I don't think it can be said enough: presets are made by someone with a particular guitar (with its particular strings, pickups, body, etc.). If you have a Strat, but the preset was made by someone with a Les Paul, you're never going to hear the same thing that the preset maker did. Or if you and the preset maker both have a Strat, but you have high-output pickups and they had low-output pickups, again, the input levels they need and that you need are likely going to be quite different (and the output sound will, again, also be different).

So there is really not too much point in worrying about the output levels of the various presets. They could really only possibly be consistent if just one person, with one guitar, and one audio interface were making all the presets -- which is probably not practical (or even desirable).

The most practical thing to do is to just adjust any presets you're trying out and, if you want to, save your tweaked version in your own folder of "homebrew" presets. It's not like they take up a lot of disc space.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby CraigBenstock79 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:15 pm

carlaz wrote:
Ramses2ii wrote:I mean what would be the best way to make presets equal in volume without ruining the original sound of the preset? Volume knob of virtual amp? Volume pedal somewhere in the chain? What else?

Probably the simplest way is to adjust the output volume.

However, I don't think it can be said enough: presets are made by someone with a particular guitar (with its particular strings, pickups, body, etc.). If you have a Strat, but the preset was made by someone with a Les Paul, you're never going to hear the same thing that the preset maker did. Or if you and the preset maker both have a Strat, but you have high-output pickups and they had low-output pickups, again, the input levels they need and that you need are likely going to be quite different (and the output sound will, again, also be different).

So there is really not too much point in worrying about the output levels of the various presets. They could really only possibly be consistent if just one person, with one guitar, and one audio interface were making all the presets -- which is probably not practical (or even desirable).

The most practical thing to do is to just adjust any presets you're trying out and, if you want to, save your tweaked version in your own folder of "homebrew" presets. It's not like they take up a lot of disc space.

I bought the full version in the sale and there's over 900 presets which can range from almost inaudible to blowing out your eardrums. I wanted to skim through them but had to put a limiter on my track to stop from going deaf. That's nothing to do with pickups or strings. It would make sense for one person at IK Multimedia to at least sanity check the levels rather than pass the issue on to thousands of customers.
CraigBenstock79

Postby 4vientos » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:54 pm

Even if it was too hard for IK to adjust the presets, or even undesirable regarding the designers intent, a little creative labeling and install routing would help. Prepending the troublesome preset titles with L- or Q- is easy intern work . Preset designers could be told prepend Strat- or LP- or PRS- etc to help those who understand the differences in guitars.

As presets don't hog disk space, including extra folders containing extra-loud and extra-quiet sounds would be helpful, and customer$ could add to those, as desired.

Communicating a protocol to preset designers so they follow a more precise naming convention would save time and ears, and maybe monitor speakers.

Reaper daw has a configurable 'auto-mute' that kicks in, a screenshot and useful levels info are in this thread:

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=197474

When that automute feature kicks in, it always surprises me with silence, but I'm glad it's there and easy to un-mute. Could that be added to Amplitube itself?

Cheers
4vientos

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling