Wet level on delay/reverb too extreme???

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Wet level on delay/reverb too extreme???

Postby josephbarnesss » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:44 am

Am I the only one who experience this : the "wet" level of some fx, such as reverb and delay, need to be "one tick" above 0 before being too loud ?

I have such a hard time getting a reverb and delay (using the rack digital verb in a amp loop) who sounds natural... I have to put the level at maybe 0.5 / 10.. The range 0.5 to 10 is unusable.. (way too loud)

I purchased the (t-rack) tape echo and Fulltone ss delay and I experienced the exact same thing.. And the upper high end completely dissapear when I use the echoplex post amplitube.
It's a cool effect but I find this strange. Is that the effect of the preamp?
josephbarnesss

Re: Wet level on delay/reverb too extreme???

Postby jjguitar » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:55 pm

I have to put the level at maybe 0.5 / 10.. The range 0.5 to 10 is unusable.. (way too loud)

It depends what you are after. I have set it at 0.8 for my style of playing.
Gear: Amplitube 5
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Postby Dr Wang » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:54 am

jjguitar wrote:
I have to put the level at maybe 0.5 / 10.. The range 0.5 to 10 is unusable.. (way too loud)

It depends what you are after. I have set it at 0.8 for my style of playing.

May I ask what style is it?
Dr Wang

Postby jjguitar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Mainly 80s Hardrock / Metal & Blues. Sometimes I set it even lower (0.3 - 0.5)
Gear: Amplitube 5
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Postby carlaz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:41 pm

josephbarnesss wrote:And the upper high end completely dissapear when I use the echoplex post amplitube. It's a cool effect but I find this strange. Is that the effect of the preamp?

That's strange; the original Echoplex units were famous for slightly cutting the low end and boosting the high end -- an effect of the preamp circuits built into them. The Fulltone SSTE replicates this effect, though I believe it also allows you to bypass it. Likewise, for the sound of the repeats themselves, the Fulltone SSTE lets you switch between "Vintage Highs" (which actually rolls off the highs, mimicking the use of a capacitor to damp down hiss in the original Echoplexes) and "Brilliant Echoes" (which, in contrast, does not do that). So, anyway, if you have the Preamp set to "EP-3" and also the "Brilliant Highs" setting selected, you should end up with slightly more high-end (and less bass) than in your unprocessed guitar signal.

That said, remember that "old school" guitarists usually used the Echoplex before their amps -- not in an FX loop or as a post-cab-microphone effect -- and so that may also affect how it is sounding for you. (I always use the SSTE model in the "pedal" section of Amplitube! I kind of understand why it is presented by default as a "rack" unit, but I also kind of don't.)

All that said, I also tend to use very low settings on delay and reverb units in Amplitube. I think this accurately models the real units, though, for the most part. Most any physical delay/reverb pedal etc. will cheerfully let you dial in some crazy-extreme sounds. :mrgreen: You might well want to do that, for some fabulous artistic reason or momentary special effect, but I think most players probably keep that stuff fairly tame in most circumstances.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling