Need Help

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Need Help

Postby garystewart62 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi all, I’m a relative newby to AmpliTube. I have the new Brian May AmpliTube and loving it.
Can someone recommend what I need to purchase from IK Multimedia to get David Gilmour tones? Thanks in Advance
Cheers
Gary. (Ballarat, Victoria, Australia)
2019 Brian May Red Special
2007 Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
2004 Fender American Deluxe 50th Anniversary Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Yamaha P.A
Good headphones, can’t remember the brand
Focusrite Scarlet Solo 3rd Gen
garystewart62

Re: Need Help

Postby carlaz » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:20 pm

There is a lot of information available online about Gilmour's gear over the years; Gilmourish.com, and Kitrae.net, for example.

I'm not a Gilmour expert, but I did a little research a few years ago when doing some Floyd stuff for some guitar lessons I was taking. IMO, although Amplitube doesn't have the exact Gilmour gear, it has enough of the right sort of things to get you more or less in that zone. I've posted my own presets on the Facebook presets group, though others have posted theirs, too. You could go there and download a few that could serve as starting points.

IMO, the core of a "basic" Gilmour tone is going to be achieved with a Big Pig pedal model (i.e. "based on Big Muff") into the HiAmp (i.e. "based on HiWatT") amp/cab models, the amp to be set fairly clean.

For some Gilmouresque tones, that's practically all you need!

Obviously, though, delay is a thing for some Gilmour tones. Earlier on, he used the Binson Echorec which (sadly) is not (yet!) modeled in Amplitube. But you could use any of the variously modeled analog delays, like the EchoMan or T-Rex Replica or even the Fulltone SSTE. Gilmour has also used digital delays in his career, and Amplitube as a few options that would do the job, IMO.

Then, also famously, some Gilmour tones use one kind of modulation effect or another -- from either a Yamaha rotating speaker system or flanger or chorus pedals. Amplitube does model the Electric Flanger (i.e. "based on Electric Mistress", which Gilmour has used), though you could use other things like the Uni-V pedal model or the Leslie rotary speakers models or one or the other of the choruses.

If you spend some time researching Gilmour's gear and tones online (like at one of the sites mentioned above) you'll find all kinds of bits and pieces and details of information about gear and settings and how to emulate it. But I think the starting point is a Big Pig (a model which IMO could do with a refresh, but it does the job) that gets you your dirt, going into a clean but loud HiAmp. For a "Comfortably Numb" type tone, IMO that's basically all you really need, besides perhaps a touch of analog-style delay. (There may be some modulation in that tone, but I don't really find it vital. But you could put a touch of that in there, too.)

Mr Gilmour's fingers are, alas, less easily replicated! :lol:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby johnhines » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:42 pm

If you are on Facebook, john the Group "Amplitube 4 Preset Exchange". Lots of Gilmour tones have been shared there.
johnhines

Postby garystewart62 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:20 am

Thanks so much, you are a legend. I have joined the preset exchange Facebook group as recommended and have found some Gilmour presets. Quick question, how do I download a preset to use in AmpliTube ? Are there any instructions posted that you know of ?
Cheers
garystewart62

Postby johnhines » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:22 pm

garystewart62 wrote:Thanks so much, you are a legend. I have joined the preset exchange Facebook group as recommended and have found some Gilmour presets. Quick question, how do I download a preset to use in AmpliTube ? Are there any instructions posted that you know of ?
Cheers

I'm not sure if there are instructions posted anywhere, but this is how I do it.

1. Create a Gilmour folder under ..\Documents\IK Multimedia\AmpliTube 4\Presets\Legacy Presets with a folder name e.g. C:\John\Documents\IK Multimedia\AmpliTube 4\Presets\Legacy Presets\Gilmour
2. Go to the Files section of the Facebook group and download the *.at4p file that you want to this newly created folder location.
3. Startup Amplitube and you should see the new preset under Legacy Presets\Gilmour
johnhines

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling