Newbie Q re non-distorted rock sounds

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Newbie Q re non-distorted rock sounds

Postby W1tchseason » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 pm

Hi - I recently bought Amplitube 4 and am knocked out by the possibilities and range of sounds, but am struggling to get a 'clean' rock sound - nearly every preset has some kind of distortion in the chain.
Right now I'm trying to play along with Alice Cooper's 'Love It To Death' album - rhythm and lead - but can't find a preset that suits. The sound is 'hard' but not very distorted - any suggestions?
P.S. I'm really a bass player so don't understand a lot of the 6-string subtleties.
SG and/or Strat straight into Amplitube.
Thanks
J.
W1tchseason

Re: Newbie Q re non-distorted rock sounds

Postby Ad_Astra » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:42 am

If you've got Fender collections, the Champs are quite good and then add some Fuzz on them.
Ad_Astra

Postby carlaz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:37 pm

Love It To Death was recorded in late 1970, and I would guess that guitarists Michael Bruce and Glen Buxton were using Marshalls of some kind. If that guess is correct, then the JH Gold amp model in Amplitube would probably be the closest match to whatever was actually used. (Or, alternatively, the older British Lead S100 model.)

I suggest using the Custom Shop to get the JH Gold (and/or British Lead S100) and a matching cab model (e.g. the 4x12 Closed 25 C) as 72-hour trials (if your installation doesn't already give you these). I think there is a least one (perhaps a few) fairly clean presets for the JH Gold. Start with those (and also get any other gear necessary for the presets as trials from the Custom Shop, like mics, etc.) and see how you go. Be careful with the various input and output levels to make sure the signal isn't too "hot" anywhere.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:17 am

Agreeing with @carlaz here. Give those a whirl, set it where you think it is hard but not distorting - and then back off a bit more. Just like with reverb, gain on amps can be reigned in a lot more than your ears tell you it should if you let them deceive you. It's kind of like the whole AC/DC sound where those amps are actually not "distorting" as much as "assaulting you with force" if you catch my drift.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby W1tchseason » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:49 am

Many thanks for all your suggestions - I'm getting there :-)
I think my issue is that so many of the presets include a lot of distortion, which I don't want.
W1tchseason

Postby DarkStar » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 pm

... there is no need to use the presets :)

Just load up the gear models that you want to use and dial in the settings for the sound you want. (Yep, that's easier to type than to do ;))

Follow carlaz's suggestions. He really knows what he's talking about.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby carlaz » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:24 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Just like with reverb, gain on amps can be reigned in a lot more than your ears tell you it should if you let them deceive you. It's kind of like the whole AC/DC sound where those amps are actually not "distorting" as much as "assaulting you with force" if you catch my drift.

This is wisdom! "Less is more" (usually!) with gain. A lot of classic guitar tracks have less gain than one might think (especially on multi-tracked rhythm parts).

Keep an eye on the meters on the Input/Output bar (at the bottom of the GUI). Remember that the manual recommends: "Set your audio device’s input gain so that AmpliTube’s INPUT LEVEL meter is starting to go into the red, then back off just a touch." If you have hotter pickups and/or the level on your interface cranked up, then you can easily make the input level too hot for what you want. Also, whacking a big, low power chord will produce more level than if you are playing wildly leads high up the neck. Thus, as the manual more-or-less suggests, I usually aim to peak in yellow (around the final "L" in "INPUT LEVEL" under the meter, or not much higher). Likewise, keep an eye on the OUTPUT LEVEL, which can easily be driven into the red.

In fact, if I use the stock "Classic Clean" preset for the JH Gold, even with my input level where I want it (just peaking in yellow), the preset has the output gain set to +6.1 dB, and that puts me into the red on the output meter. I have to dial it back at least a couple of dB. In contrast, the stock "S Clean" preset for the British Lead S100 has the output gain set to -1.4 dB. I can crank it up to about +2 dB before I run into trouble.

But, in any case, too much on either the input or output will mess with an effort to get a good a cleaner tone.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby byron_dickens » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:14 am

Forget presets & craft your own tone using your ears.
byron_dickens

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling