References to preset data from project

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

References to preset data from project

Postby dmitch » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Hello, I'm run into something that's making for an awkward workflow, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something, or if someone knows a way to do what I'm trying to do.

My setup: Amplitube 4 on a Mac. Sometimes I use it standalone via the Amplitube 4 app; sometimes I use it as a ProTools plugin (current 2019 ProTools). I want to share rig presets between the two environments. (For an example of why I want to do this: When I'm practicing I just want the standalone app; it's quicker to launch and it has lower latency than ProTools. When recording - e.g. after I've learned a part - I record it with ProTools. I want the same sound, the same rig when I record as I use when practicing. When I change the rig preset when practicing, I need that new rig preset in ProTools when I get around to recording the part I've been practicing.)

The problem is in sharing presets between the standalone app and ProTools. When I'm working with the standalone app, every time I change a rig preset, I have two save two different things: the preset (an .at4p file), and the Amplitube project (an .at4prj file, so I can easily launch into the guitar sound I want with a single double-click). If I only save the .at4prj Amplitube project, the rig preset doesn't get updated. And if I do that, the newly modified preset is not available to my ProTools session.

Then I have to restore two things when I switch to using ProTools: I have to open the ProTools session, which loads an older version of the Amplitube guitar preset. Then I have to load the newly modified guitar preset into the ProTools session. (Then typically I have to save the PT session to include the new AT preset.)

The basic problem is, both the Amplitube app and the ProTools plugin save their own, (possibly) modified version of a preset. There is no way, using either one of these, to say "Always use the preset that's on disk". In programming terms this would be using an "indirect reference" to an Amplitube preset file.

Many document editors let you do this kind of this with embedded images: you can say "always use the version on disk; don't embed the image in the document".

Does this make sense? Is there in fact a way to use preset data from a .at4p preset file implicitly when loading an Amplitube project or ProTools session using an AT plugin? Thanks.
dmitch

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling