Diode Overdrive reduces tone from the American Tube amp

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Diode Overdrive reduces tone from the American Tube amp

Postby jettison » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Hi All,

Last question today then I have to put this down for awhile :-) Thank you. Loaded the free version of Amplitube today (completed registration).

I noticed that once I dial in the most acceptable tone on the American Tube Clean amp and then add some very slight overdrive using the Diode Overdrive, suddenly my tone gets reduced slightly and lacks the depth it had prior. Also, I have the Diode Overdrive dialed all the way to the left to obtain just a slight overdrive and its still too much drive and sounds too potato-chippy. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.
jettison

Re: Diode Overdrive reduces tone from the American Tube amp

Postby d10221 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:51 am

I like the "Diode Overdrive" used as a booster, with NO drive, to make the AMP break/clip and use the AMP's overdrive.

But I found sometimes the "Diode Overdrive" its a bit too bright (great for darker neck pickups)
The default "tone" settings are 2 PM I think, ... that is +brighter because your leaning to the treble side.
... setting it back 12 O'clock makes it flatter

Lately been using the "Compressor" with zero compression for the same purpose, I think it does work quite well for the same purpose. And it gives no "Tone" change (it doesn't have a tone knob)

Also the "Tube Screamer" with little to zero to little drive does good job as a Booster, with the tone at 12' its bit darker compared to the "Diode Overdrive"

Alternatively Adding a compressor to the insert (like coming back from the fx-loop), with low-compression levels, pushes the power-stage nicely too, I do enjoy that overdriven-sound too.

Finally my current favorite is chaining the compressor => diode-overdrive => tube-screamer on top of a Fenderish Amp gives you 2 levels of boost +1 level of dirt

Cheers
D.
d10221

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling