Amplitube 4 and Focusrite latency, cracking, popping, static

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 4 and Focusrite latency, cracking, popping, static

Postby ADClope » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:30 pm

I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm a total noob with running my guitar signal into my computer, so bear with me.

I picked up a Focusrite Solo Gen 2 and am obviously running Amplitube 4.

Got the everything installed, registered, Focusrite ASIO controller/drivers, etc...

The issue that I'm having is that Amplitube gets the audio signal from the Focusrite interface, and I can hear it coming through the computer speakers, but it's delayed (latency from what I understand) and I get random cracks/pops/static/echo etc... It sounds awful.

I've spent some time researching this issue and best I can tell, it's probably a latency/buffer related issue?

Currently I have the Audio MIDI Setup in AmpliTube set for Windows Audio (Exclusive Mode), which I recently read is probably wrong...

Input device - Focusrite USB

And then Output device - Speakers (Realtek (R) Audio so I can hear it.

I'm assuming I have this set up all wrong?

My options for "Technology" are Windows Audio, Direct Sound and ASIO. I've read that I should be using ASIO, but then I cannot hear the the sound from my PC Speakers. Is this not an option or the correct way to have this setup?

Is my only option to run dedicated speakers out the back of the Scarlett Solo?

If the Technology is set to ASIO and then both the Input and Output devices are the Scarlett Solo, how would Amplitube come into play? Wouldn't the sound just come into the interface and then right back out through the monitors unprocessed?

Like I said, I'm a total noob, so I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!
ADClope

Re: Amplitube 4 and Focusrite latency, cracking, popping, st

Postby garfy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi ADClope and welcome to the forum.

Yep, I think the issues you're having are because you're using the Windows Audio drivers.

ASIO would be required for both input and output to keep latency to a minimum, although this is also connected to your computer's specs.

ADClope wrote:If the Technology is set to ASIO and then both the Input and Output devices are the Scarlett Solo, how would Amplitube come into play? Wouldn't the sound just come into the interface and then right back out through the monitors unprocessed?

No. On the Solo there is a switch marked Direct Monitor. Switch that to Off and you will be listening to the output post-processing by the computer.

You could check that ASIO works as hoped by plugging some headphones into the interface and listening via those. If this stops the latency/crackles you could then decide if you wanted to invest in some speakers to run from the line outputs of the Solo.

However, if your computer speakers have a stereo-mini jack you could get a converter to change that to stereo 1/4" and plug that into the headphone out on the Solo, although this is a bit of a workaround.

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Re: Amplitube 4 and Focusrite latency, cracking, popping, st

Postby ADClope » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:24 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. I had entered a support ticket as well with IK Multimedia, they pretty much mirrored what you'd mentioned.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain, thank you!

I have not tried yet, but will, and I'll update this thread with what I find.
ADClope

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling