Amplitube's Looper, do you use it ? how ?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube's Looper, do you use it ? how ?

Postby d10221 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi Anyone,

Do you use the inbuilt Amplitube Looper ?

What do you control it with ?
Midi pedal board ?
IPad and touch ?
Point and Click ?

Cheers
Daniel
d10221

Re: Amplitube's Looper, do you use it ? how ?

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu May 09, 2019 4:09 pm

d10221 wrote:Hi Anyone,

Do you use the inbuilt Amplitube Looper ?

What do you control it with ?
Midi pedal board ?
iPad and touch ?
Point and Click ?

Cheers
Daniel

Hey Daniel,

While I'm curious to hear what other users have to say, I figured I'd chime in! :D

I personally grab the iRig BlueBoard when I use the Looper at home. When I have more room to set up, I use the iRig Stomp I/O. They both link easily to the Looper.

The Looper metronome tool helps when using it without a foot controller. The count down gives you enough time to start playing and the Loop cuts in time to allow seamless playback. This option is at the bottom of the Looper page. Check it out if you haven't given it a chance.

Hope this helps!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby d10221 » Thu May 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi Ryan, Thanks.

Is it possible to use the Blueboard and the STMOPIO at the same time ?
It doesn't look like , but it could be great to leave the STOMPIO for stomps and *PC
....if the Bluetooth latency is not an issue, I have't tried my self

1) I've been using it with the STOMP-I/O in integration mode
Result: Good looper control , hard/slow to change presets or go to stomp mode

2) STOMP in Port 1 with an external MIDI patch changer connected to the STOMP's MIDI IN , to use the Looper and change presets without leaving the looper mode
Result: Kind of Ok, when manually mapping Loop#1 to Amplitube seems confused by the 2 MIDI events sent together (1 and 127) by the Stomp, control changes are OK as they are straight "program changes",

3) External controller via USB and the STOMP patched and routed to IAC Bus the Amplitube in IAC bus,
Result same as (2) but potentially could feed more controllers to Amplitube (it Should listen to All ports by default, to don't need to fiddle with extral Midi Apps)

To Try yet ....

4) VST/AU Host -> Amplitube -> Looper.
Expected: too much setup , not live friendly?

5) Ext1 from STOMP_I/O to Single Loop ( Loop#1), hoping the switch will send only 1 CCl, and EXT2 to Global Play
is there a way to Map Loop-Clear to MIDI events ?

6) Software Midi Patch Map Translate *PC top *CC with

7) A MIDI controller that can send *CC instead *PC

8) Give up and by a Looper pedal, ... but I'll be missing my virtual Rig :(

*CC 'Control Change'
*PC 'Program Change'

Cheers
Daniel
d10221

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu May 09, 2019 5:57 pm

d10221 wrote:Hi Ryan, Thanks.

Is it possible to use the Blueboard and the STMOPIO at the same time ?
It doesn't look like , but it could be great to leave the STOMPIO for stomps and *PC
....if the Bluetooth latency is not an issue, I have't tried my self

Glad I could help and thanks for the new interest. It is quite certainly possible on compatible systems.

This is something I use all the time at my desk here in the office for iOS and Mac use. It makes the controlling AmpliTube that much easier. No need to ever switch modes for control, you have everything right at your fingertips....or toes? :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, this would not work with Windows/PC systems, as these are not compatible with the iRig BlueBoard.

d10221 wrote:1) I've been using it with the STOMP-I/O in integration mode
Result: Good looper control , hard/slow to change presets or go to stomp mode

If you're not already doing so, make sure to load your presets into the MIDI page's Program Change section on AmpliTube 4 (Mac/PC). This should help with loading times compared to "Preset Next/Previous" style controls.

d10221 wrote:2) STOMP in Port 1 with an external MIDI patch changer connected to the STOMP's MIDI IN , to use the Looper and change presets without leaving the looper mode
Result: Kind of Ok, when manually mapping Loop#1 to Amplitube seems confused by the 2 MIDI events sent together (1 and 127) by the Stomp, control changes are OK as they are straight "program changes",

Interesting set up, I'd be interested to see it in action :geek:

d10221 wrote:3) External controller via USB and the STOMP patched and routed to IAC Bus the Amplitube in IAC bus,
Result same as (2) but potentially could feed more controllers to Amplitube (it Should listen to All ports by default, to don't need to fiddle with extral Midi Apps)

Another interesting set up! This one, I have to see. Feel free to share some photos or videos here. :ugeek:

d10221 wrote:To Try yet ....

4) VST/AU Host -> Amplitube -> Looper.
Expected: too much setup , not live friendly?

5) Ext1 from STOMP_I/O to Single Loop ( Loop#1), hoping the switch will send only 1 CCl, and EXT2 to Global Play
is there a way to Map Loop-Clear to MIDI events ?

6) Software Midi Patch Map Translate *PC top *CC with

7) A MIDI controller that can send *CC instead *PC

8) Give up and by a Looper pedal, ... but I'll be missing my virtual Rig :(

*CC 'Control Change'
*PC 'Program Change'

Cheers
Daniel

For (4), unfortunately, AmpliTube 4 does not offer the Looper in VST/AU instances. This is restricted to stand alone use.

In regards to (5), for a full list of MIDI controls in AmpliTube, use the MIDI menu in the lower right hand corner. This will offer some extra controls over the Looper and DAW section in stand-alone.

As for (6) and (7), I would suggest looking at different MIDI routing, filtering, and editing apps. There are quite a few out there on iOS, like MIDI Patch Bay, MIDI Flow, etc. For Mac/PC there are not so many, but they definitely exist. If you dig around and find anything useful, feel free to share with all of us here.

We would hate for (8) to be needed here, but in nor way would you need to ditch your virtual rig! Our iRig products can be connected with external guitar FX pedals. The iRig Stomp I/O would have no issues being used with a physical looper pedal. This mix of virtual and physical rig could have some unique opportunities of its own!
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby d10221 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:22 am

Thanks!

I forgot to mention I'm using a Mac Pro.

Software I've been using is Midi PatchBay, MidiPipe, and SendMidi
In particular "Midi PatchBay" to send "everything" to the IAC bus.

I did try Ableton Live Lite that came bundled with the STOMPIO to see if I can get Ableton as a looper.
But its not what I'm looking for, too complex, too much setup, I'm not try to do recording but to use Amplitube as the only thing between the guitar and "ANY amp/speaker" in LIVE mode

Also Ableton its not handling Amplitube as efficiently as Amplitube-Stand-Alone
, Amplitube achives lower latency without glitches in 96k, Not ableton.

I guess I'll need to try the Blueboard.
But I can't see how its going to work if you can't map the clear loop event
It seems to me that the only way to control the clear event is with Amplitube MIDI input set to "Stomp I/O Control" .
But then Amplitube ignores any other MIDI event, even what is sent to the Stomp MIDI input

Thanks again.
D.
d10221

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri May 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Nice! A Mac Pro sounds like a great machine.

Unfortunately, Ableton is a little bit tricky to set up with the looper tool. It's a great tool once you get it working though.

The iRig BlueBoard could be used for either Preset or Stomp FX changes (If not both depending on the set up), then your Looper could be the iRig Stomp I/O, as this offers the CLEAR function you prefer to use.

Hope this helps!
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby d10221 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:57 pm

The iRig BlueBoard could be used for either Preset or Stomp FX changes (If not both depending on the set up), then your Looper could be the iRig Stomp I/O, as this offers the CLEAR function you prefer to use.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
but ... I don't see how this could work, for Amplitube to listen to STOMPIO
it has to be connected to the "Stomp I/O Control" midi interface
And on that case it doesn't listen to anything else ...
Or at least I don't know how

... Unless Amplitube bypasses the MdiI input settings and listens to the Blueboard app/driver internally
d10221

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri May 10, 2019 5:17 pm

d10221 wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong
but ... I don't see how this could work, for Amplitube to listen to STOMPIO
it has to be connected to the "Stomp I/O Control" midi interface
And on that case it doesn't listen to anything else ...
Or at least I don't know how

... Unless Amplitube bypasses the MdiI input settings and listens to the Blueboard app/driver internally

My apologies, this would be an option for iOS only.

On Mac, you are correct, you would be limited to a single MIDI input in AmpliTube stand alone.

Perhaps using the iRig BlueBoard for your Ableton Live looper and using AmpliTube as a plug-in with the iRig Stomp I/O for Preset/Stomp control may be an option?

There are definitely some creative ways to accomplish this, so I am interested to hear if any other users chime in on the thread.

A physical looper can also be added to your set up, I use the following looper when I really need something 'outside the box'.

https://www.voxamps.com/vdl1
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby d10221 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks ...
Now I need an IPAD ? ... :roll:

In the meantime , I found a hack :D

If you don't mind I'll document it here for my own future reference

The Hack

Using MidiStroke I can map cc 28 to [meta] + [del] key stroke ,
That sends the Amplitube's harcoded shorcut to clear all loops, when control-change 28 in channel 1 is triggered by the monitored Midi port to whatever has focus on the screen.

The Recipe :

Connect your "prehistoric program-change only external Midi controller" to STOMPIO MIDI IN, that would change presets without the need to leave STOMPIO's LOOPER-MODE
Alternatively use your "Midi To Usb Cable" and connect it straight to the computer

Open "Midi Patchbay" and map
"Stomp I/O Control"
and "Stomp I/O Port 1"
and maybe the "Midi To Usb Cable Port"
All of them to "IAC Bus 1"

Note: Alternative to "Midi Patchbay" is "Midi Pipe", Patchbay is simpler than Pipe

Open midiStroke and set CC 28 on channel 1 with value 0 or 127 (irrelevant ... both values will be triggered) ....to trigger MacKey+Delete ( AKA: backspace)

Launch Amplitube

Say yes to "use STOMP I/O", this is important otherwise the LOOPER-MODE in the STOMP I/O is disabled and we can't send CC to the looper without changing preset or activating pedal's bypass

Then change the Midi input so IAC Bus,
if you change it "Stomp I/O Port 1",
Amplitube tell you to close the amp and power cycle the board,
don't do it ... or STOMPIO goes in DUMB mode
and the Looper-Mode is disabled, ergo no way to trigger the looper functions

Open MIDI
set Loop1 to CC 30 ( switch #3) (close to the original setup)
set "Looper Global Play" to CC 31 (switch #4) ( close to the original setup)
save changes

Completed:

Switch 1 = 'clear all'
Switch 2 = NADA
Switch 3 = Play / Record Loop #1 (remember to press and hold)
Switch 4 = Global Loop Play / Stop (Remember to press and hold)

Downsides :
Might be a bit unreliable :D
Because Amplitube must be in-front (focused window) otherwise the keystroke goes somewhere else

Need to press and hold ! , not just press and release the switch quickly !
Because STOMPIO send 2 CC midi events when in LOOPER-MODE , 0 and 127 , when the switch is pressed and released, that to Amplitube , currently means Start/Stop (or the other way round)
When press ad hold still sends 2 messages but next message is in another CC
And because is NOT mapped is ok

Resources:
MidiPipe : https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10541/midipipe
Midi Patchbay: http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/
Midi Monitor: https://github.com/krevis/MIDIApps
SendMidi: https://github.com/gbevin/SendMIDI
MidiStroke: from http://charlie-roberts.com/midiStroke/

Cheers
D.
d10221

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri May 10, 2019 9:59 pm

d10221 wrote:Now I need an iPad ? ... :roll:

Sorry! I misspoke originally :oops: I did not intend to suggest anything for iOS.

On iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, this would work. I'll just leave the information here for future user reference.

Thanks for posting all the in-depth information.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby d10221 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:44 pm

No worries , was meant to be funny ... :D
d10221

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri May 10, 2019 10:53 pm

d10221 wrote:No worries , was meant to be funny ... :D

Hard to tell sometimes! :D Thanks for letting me know.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby robertonp13 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi guys, sorry if this question has already been asked and answered:
How can you control the looper in Amplitube 4 for Mac with Blueboard?
Thank you!
robertonp13

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:18 pm

robertonp13 wrote:Hi guys, sorry if this question has already been asked and answered:
Thank you!

Use the MIDI button at the bottom right of the screen. Inside here go to the Control Change page and look toward the bottom of global controls to MIDI learn the looper.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby robertonp13 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:49 pm

Ryan_IK wrote:
robertonp13 wrote:Hi guys, sorry if this question has already been asked and answered:
Thank you!

Use the MIDI button at the bottom right of the screen. Inside here go to the Control Change page and look toward the bottom of global controls to MIDI learn the looper.

Thank you Ryan, you made my day! Is there any comprehensive tutorial for the Blueboard?
robertonp13

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling