Amplitube through speakers or tube amp?

AmpliTube 4, AmpliTube Custom Shop, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, Ampeg® SVX, Preset XChange, more for Mac/PC

Amplitube through speakers or tube amp?

Postby johnmickenzy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:26 am

Hello everyone,,
I currently run my MJT through Amplitube and iRig HD2 to headphones. I would like to have either speakers or a tube amp so I don't have to always wear headphones (apartment). I don't play at loud volumes and don't need to break-up the sound on '10', I simply don't want to always fumble with the headphones.

[Mod Edit: links removed]

Is it worth it to have both good speakers (for the iRig and amp sim) in addition to a tube amp (such as a tweed Blues Junior)? Or, will a blues junior sound good enough with the iRig or on it's own? Will good speakers sound better than the Blues Junior?
Last edited by johnmickenzy on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnmickenzy

Re: Amplitube through speakers or tube amp?

Postby garfy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:53 am

Hello johnmickenzy and welcome to the forums.

It's a good question. The amp and speaker sims are primarily designed to be played either through studio monitors/headphones or perhaps direct into a PA. By playing it through a guitar amp such as the Blues Junior you will be imparting another set of sounds on top of what you already have in AT4.

For example, you could set up a chain of a Tiny Terror into an Engl 4 x 12 in AT4. But when you play it out through the Blues Junior you will be adding another set of tubes, amp and speaker on top of the sound. I'm not saying it will sound bad, just different so you would need to take that into consideration.

If user Carlaz reads this he might chime in with useful pointers, as he's very knowledgable in all things guitar amp-wise and a jolly helpful chap too.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.13.6
Logic 10.4.5 Reason 8.3
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:25 pm

garfy is correct, it is best to send AmpliTube out through powered speakers (and full-range, not something like those in a guitar amp which will have a limited frequency range) because AmpliTube will output a full-range sound as if you had recorded your guitar in a studio basically.

Also, just a side note: Isn't the Blues Jr a great little amp? I'm a huge fan of lower-wattage amps and my current hardware setup is a Blues Jr on the clean side, Tiny Terror on the dirty side (again, both are the real amps) and an A/B/Y splitter to change between either (or both). I have a minimal pedalboard setup in front of the Tiny Terror which is mainly boosts or EQs (used not only to shape tone a bit but also to boost to push the TT) which can be similar to having multiple channels by driving the amp harder and changing tonality. They both can get quite loud, too, and even on a 15W amp like the TT with a 7.5W setting I still have an attenuator when I really want to crank it to get massive gain without busting eardrums. For that I use a Weber Mini Mass. OK, the side note was longer than the main reply! :)
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Garfy is unjustifiably kind about my questionable knowledge, but he and Peter_IK have already put you on the right path to escape from your headphones.

The best option is, no doubt, getting (powered) monitors and running sound from your computer into them (probably via the same audio interface you use to connect a guitar to the computer for using Amplitube. This seems to be the preferred option for many musicians using Amplitube in a home-studio-type set-up. IKM makes the iLoud units, which are small and portable -- and seem to be very well received. There are, of course, other manufacturers providing a variety of options. I'm not sure there is a limit on how much one could spend on powered monitors! :shock:

(Myself, admittedly, I have some awful consumer-grade [for a very broke consumer!] computer speakers hanging off my computer :? ; I usually stick to my slightly less embarrassing headphones when I need to hear things better. :mrgreen: )

Alternatively, in theory, you could also use a keyboard amp -- if you had one hanging around, and it had a line-in to which you could run sound from your computer. Keyboard amps are intended to have relatively flat EQ curves, and so would color the sound far less than running the simulation of a guitar amp (from Amplitube) out into another actual guitar amp! A keyboard amp would also be a sensible way of using Amplitube in a live situation where there was no house sound/PA. Really though, for home-studio-type use, a set of powered monitors is much to be preferred (though, obviously, if you had a suitable keyboard amp hanging around already, at least you could try it out without dropping any cash!).

Peter_IK: How does the (physical) Tiny Terror take your pedals? I love Oranges, though I've heard that the smaller ones, though sounding great on their own, might not have the headroom that one would want for pedal platforms. I kind of wander back and forth between using amps as pedal platforms -- particularly to pile fuzz onto! -- and wanting them for their own preamp gain tones! In Amplitube, I love dumping fuzz etc. onto the OR120 (or JH Gold models), but I love the Rockerverb model's tones pretty much as is. 8-)
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:29 pm

The TT takes the booster and EQ pedals I have in front of it well because they are basically pushing the amp harder (and/or at specific frequencies/ranges), but I don't use other pedals with it.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby BobF3 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Nearfields (Event PS8s) work great as do my Alto TX210s
BobF3

Postby 650thunderbird » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:44 am

Don't laugh, but I am using these:
They were supplied with a Compaq CRT monitor I bought new, some years ago. They sound great, believe it or not :o
I will use them until I can afford a pair of half decent monitors (I just purchased AT4 Max so money is a little thin, ATM).
650thunderbird

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:02 am

No shame in that game! Make music with what you have/can until you can improve your system. I remember the kind of garbage I started making music on.

Speaking of upgrades, though, people should definitely consider iLoud Micro Monitor as they really pack a punch for their size.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Peter_IK wrote:The TT takes the booster and EQ pedals I have in front of it well because they are basically pushing the amp harder (and/or at specific frequencies/ranges), but I don't use other pedals with it.

That makes sense! Thanks for the tip.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby nhenho » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:31 am

I'm thinking of getting a start-up amplifier for beginner which would be better
nhenho

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:14 pm

nhenho wrote:I'm thinking of getting a start-up amplifier for beginner which would be better

iRig Micro Amp
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling