Amplitube 4 and CPU

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 4 and CPU

Postby Elston G » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi guys, thanks so much for reading, all help and advice is seriously appreciated.

I'm building a music production PC for recording my band.
We record two guitars, bass and drums live all in the same room using Amplitube 4 in headphones so the drum mics have no guitar/bass bleed on them.
We've all been using Amplitube 3+4 for years and love it having gotten great results.

At the moment the computer we're using is a 2015 Macbook Pro i7 4870HQ 16GB RAM MacOS 10.12.6 running at 24bit/48kHz and 64 buffer size for minimum latency in Pro Tools 2018.7
We can only run two instances of Amplitube4 and no other plugins in Pro Tools at 64 buffer size without getting errors and 128 buffer size has too much latency for us.

In choosing a CPU for our build we want to be able to acheive at least 5+ instances of Amplitube to allow both guitar players record through different sounds at different parts of the song with also preferably the option at recording also at 32 buffer size to reduce latency further.

For anyone who records at 32/64 buffer size in whatever DAW or OS (we're willing to try anything for best performance) we'd greatly appreciate if you could tell us what system and particularly CPU you have and how many instances of Amplitube 4 you can record with without errors or any links to where people have given this information.

Thanks again!
Elston
Elston G

Re: Amplitube 4 and CPU

Postby LordObsidious » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm not a computer guy but I have a PC with an i5 processor and 8g of Ram and I can have multiple instances of amplitube (i have 8 of them on some projecs) and a ton of other vsts at a 512 buffer size and I have no noticeable input monitoring latency (im not at my computer but i believe its 8ms/12ms delay). Your computer seems vastly over qualified to run as many instances of amplitube as you could ever need. Perhaps its your interface?

I do not use protools however, I use reaper and according to it each instance of amplitube uses about 0.8% of my CPU
LordObsidious

Re: Amplitube 4 and CPU

Postby Elston G » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks for your reply :)

At 512 buffer I can run well over 10 instances of Amplitube 4 with a load of other plugins too.
I can even get around 4 going at 128 without errors. The problem with 128 is that it gives us too much latency. I've tried it with multiple interfaces (Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Apogee Duet 2. Focusrite Scarlett 2i4), driver revisions and OS versions and the latency on all is workable at 64 and not at all at 128.
Our other guitar player has an RME Babyface Pro that seems to have a great reputation for latency and he said he doesn't like the latency on his own PC at 128 so I think it just won't work for us.

I'd be insanely greatful if you could see how many instances of Amplitube 4 you can run while recording through them at 64 buffer size and what CPU, system and interface you have

Thanks again
Elston G

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling