Will the e.guitar affect the sound through Amplitube?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Will the e.guitar affect the sound through Amplitube?

Postby takaliuang » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:34 am

I am keyboard player, just try Amplitube free from SampleTank Max bundle.
I realize I need electric guitar and need to buy one.

Quick Question:
Will the quality of the e.guitar that I use affect the sound quality through Amplitube?
Or I can just use any cheap e.guitar for audio input only

Thanks for helping!
takaliuang

Re: Will the e.guitar affect the sound through Amplitube?

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:37 pm

Different guitars can and do sound different in any guitar amp/effects software like AmpliTube. Even without opening the classic debate about the quality differentials in more expensive guitars vs cheaper guitars and all that, you also have different types (and quality) of pickups and other tone-affecting factors that will indeed differ from guitar to guitar.

However, if someone tells you to go for a super-expensive guitar from the go (especially when it isn't your main instrument) that is probably not very good advice. There are many "budget" guitars that will sound great through AmpliTube. I would recommend looking at it from the perspective of "what kind of guitar sound do I want?" and check out examples of typical differences in types of guitars. A Stratocaster and Les Paul, for example, may have different purposes yet they also have a lot of tonal variety on their own. Check out how a guitar with humbucker pickups will have an overall different sound than a guitar with single-coil pickups.

I probably led you to the rabbit hole, and if so I apologize. You can still find guitars with a good tonal variety on their own and for not too much money, and if you'd like a personal recommendation I like a Stratocaster-style guitar with a humbucker at the bridge as a good compromise. But you could be looking for a general overall tone that is achievable with a completely different type of guitar.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:11 pm

In other words: "Yes."
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 pm

carlaz wrote:In other words: "Yes."

Perfect synopsis. Now, OP, please let us know what you're after and I'm sure the guitarists of the IK forum can likely give some sage advice.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby takaliuang » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:31 am

Peter_IK wrote:Different guitars can and do sound different in any guitar amp/effects software like AmpliTube. Even without opening the classic debate about the quality differentials in more expensive guitars vs cheaper guitars and all that, you also have different types (and quality) of pickups and other tone-affecting factors that will indeed differ from guitar to guitar.

However, if someone tells you to go for a super-expensive guitar from the go (especially when it isn't your main instrument) that is probably not very good advice. There are many "budget" guitars that will sound great through AmpliTube. I would recommend looking at it from the perspective of "what kind of guitar sound do I want?" and check out examples of typical differences in types of guitars. A Stratocaster and Les Paul, for example, may have different purposes yet they also have a lot of tonal variety on their own. Check out how a guitar with humbucker pickups will have an overall different sound than a guitar with single-coil pickups.

I probably led you to the rabbit hole, and if so I apologize. You can still find guitars with a good tonal variety on their own and for not too much money, and if you'd like a personal recommendation I like a Stratocaster-style guitar with a humbucker at the bridge as a good compromise. But you could be looking for a general overall tone that is achievable with a completely different type of guitar.

Thank you so much for clear explanation PEter! And your personal recomendation!
takaliuang

Postby carlaz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Yes, to go a little deeper, all kinds of factors affect the tone of a guitar, though body/neck(-joint) type and electronics are two big ones. As Peter_IK suggested, consider guitar-players who produce the kinds of guitar sounds that you want, and look at what kind of guitars they use.

Is it a set-neck violin-body-shape type of guitar, e.g. Les Paul types and SG types? Is it a "swept-forward" body with bolt-on neck, e.g. Telecaster and Stratocaster types? Is it a hollow-body? Does it have 2 or 3 thinner (i.e. single coil) pickups, or does it have a couple of wider pickups (double coil/humbuckers)?

You can readily find cheaper guitars of the SG, Strat, and Tele types (or derivatives); even some types of Les Paul guitars (clones of the Studio, or whatever) can be had without breaking the bank. Many of these can be quite well built (get a guitar-player friend to go with you to see what they think of the physical construction quality), but the electronics are often cheap or or lower quality. If I were getting a new guitar on a budget, I would look for a well-built but cheap construction of the type I liked, and then replace the electronics with 3rd-party options. However much it costs to buy new pickups., pots, wiring harness, etc., and get it all installed, it will cost less than buying a higher-end guitar that already comes with all those things.

So, if you wanted a Stratocaster-type guitar, get a Squier or a Yahama or something, and put in (or have a luthier put in) some new Seymour Duncan or whatever pickups and associated wiring. You can readily end up with a very fine guitar that cost you a lot less, in the end, then many more expensive guitars that might easily sound worse!
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby takaliuang » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:11 am

carlaz wrote:...
So, if you wanted a Stratocaster-type guitar, get a Squier or a Yahama or something, and put in (or have a luthier put in) some new Seymour Duncan or whatever pickups and associated wiring. You can readily end up with a very fine guitar that cost you a lot less, in the end, then many more expensive guitars that might easily sound worse!

Thank you for enlighten me, realy help, appreciate it!
takaliuang

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling