What are you using for sound output from Amplitube?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

What are you using for sound output from Amplitube?

Postby jdag » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:00 pm

I am struggling with my JBL LSR305 monitors via Amplitube. I can't achieve the desired volume I'd like without distortion. Sound is fantastic via my ATH-M50x headphones. So I am considering options...

More powerful studio monitors (such as Yamaha HS series)
Loudspeaker(s) (such as Alto TS series)
Guitar amp (such as Katana 50/100 or Orange 35rt)

My goals are to get both guitar and backing music through a single output device. I'd love to hear what you've had success with.

Thanks!
jdag

Re: What are you using for sound output from Amplitube?

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 pm

I would recommend better monitors, especially if you are mainly using AmpliTube in the studio. A guitar amplifier will further color the sound (like plugging one guitar amp into another... since AmpliTube replicates the whole chain which already includes a guitar amp, cab, etc).

Of course iLoud Micro Monitor is a great choice - don't let the size fool you. Even if I didn't work for IK I'd surely have these. They are in my home studio, alongside larger monitors and they are as loud and sound as good.

For live use, I'd recommend a powered speaker which is full range (instead of a guitar amp which is not full range plus will have the coloration issue as noted above).
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jdag » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks, Peter
jdag

Postby dakfat » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:00 pm

I have both the Iloud Micro Monitors and the Iloud speaker. I use the Micro Monitors for mixing and music playback and I use the Iloud speaker for Amplitube on my practice rig. I can't recommend both enough.

So in other words, I think you'll enjoy Amplitube through the Iloud speaker
dakfat

Postby jdag » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:13 pm

How would you rate the 2 versions of the speaker against each other?
jdag

Postby dakfat » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Micro monitors have a louder output, they can be distanced one from the other, thus more tailored to mixing. They have a built in mic stand flange, 3 input connections (1/8 and rca and bluetooth).

The iloud speaker is easier to carry around since it's a single unit but the left and right channels can't be distanced one from the other, for the same reason. It's got 10 watts less output, can be connected Bluetooth or 1/8. It has a built in irig if you want to use it with Amplitube and an IPhone without any other sound interface. I put mine directly on the ground on my pedalboard on a special angled riser I built to output the sound of my Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

If you plan on doing some mixing, get the micro Monitors, if you just want a high quality portable speaker for Amplitube for home practice, get the Iloud speaker
dakfat

Postby jdag » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:27 pm

Thanks a ton for the input!
jdag

Postby DarkStar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 pm

^^^^
NB: it would be best to change your Account Name away from an email address, to minimise the chance it being harvested by web bots and you receiving all sorts of 'special offers' etc from all over the place for years and years.

You can change it, here:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/account/
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby jdag » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks...I didn't realize it was set that way...nice catch!
jdag

Postby carlaz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:00 pm

While it is conceivable that IKM employees are obliged to recommend IKM products :mrgreen: I am not :lol: but I nevertheless definitely have the iLoud Micro Monitors on my shopping list for my next trip to the US. (I could get them locally, but the markup is ruinous.)

Sure, they're small -- so there are inevitably some limitations that come with that. But the pro reviews strongly suggest that IKM has done a very good job of designing them to get the most out of what they are, and you'll see them sitting unobtrusively in the rigs of more than one big-name mixer these days. (And, sure, those guys are surely still doing their main work on whatever monitors they've known and loved for the last 10-20 years, but at the same time the iLouds probably stay on their desks for a reason, even if that reason is no more than checking a mix or something.)

So, all that said, I likewise agree with Peter_IK's observations: in the studio environment, you want monitors rather than a guitar amp for using Amplitube, etc. (I also use headphones: AKG K240 Mk2) Live, you want a power speaker or a keyboard amp for onstage monitoring; otherwise, output from Amplitube can just go to the board. I'm very much a little home/office-studio guy these days, and perhaps in a more ideal world, I would go with bigger monitors from one of the other well-known makers -- and maybe that's a good solution for you. (Though, honestly, I have a small space and I need reliable sound reproduction more than I need power.) But certainly on a budget (or if portability is an issue), I definitely get the sense that the iLouds are no gimmick.
Last edited by carlaz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby jdag » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Excellent...thanks...will look into them.
jdag

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Note that triggerthehorizon is not an IK employee or affiliated in any other way (besides being a customer) just to be sure that's clear :)

Also, iLoud Micro Monitor negates said limitations of being smaller using the high-end DSP and other design factors. You can read more about how this works and why iLoud Micro Monitor is best for small studios and spaces at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... mm-thebest
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby videorov » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Im going into Mackie 14channel board and out to JBL powered speakers and its real clean
and plenty of power. I use the MBox for recording to Pro Tools 8. Some older stuff but working.
videorov

Postby carlaz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Yeah, I saw an interview with Dave Pensado recently in which he was asked about the iLouds (though the interview was not focused on them at all), and he said something like "I actually had to turn down the bass on these!" :mrgreen: which suggests they have rather more in the low-end department than one might suspect from use looking at them.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Robingardner » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:11 pm

I use Yamaha HS7, and AmpliTube4 MAX sounds good through those, imo anyway... But I have nothing to compare it with (when it comes to using studio monitors) other than my headphones (Sennheiser HD 203 = those are pretty cheap headphone compared to the more expensive ones) and it sounds good there too. //Robin
Robingardner

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling