amplitube4 levels!

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

amplitube4 levels!

Postby pb.wavelengths » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:25 am

searched for a while but couldn't find what I was looking for...

so I'm trying out the free version.

If I set up my guitar DI so that it peaks around -18 (where I want it to be), I can't seem to hit the plugin with enough gain. If I turn up the gain on the DI so that the plugin is getting more signal and sounds good I'm clipping all the time with palm mutes.

Probably something simple I'm not doing.

disclaimer: I'm new to plugs like this, have always mic'd up my cab in the past. I want something like this plug when I'm recording DI tracks for reamping.

Thanks for any help.
pb.wavelengths

Re: amplitube4 levels!

Postby andreas.stueger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:29 pm

DI around -18 is perfect.

In the bottom left of Amplitube you have a Input gain knob. Raise this level until you get the desired volume. Remember that this raises the volume of the signal inside the plugin and does not affect your DI in any way.
andreas.stueger

Re: amplitube4 levels!

Postby pb.wavelengths » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:45 am

thanks for the response.

it's been a few days since I messed around with this so this may not be entirely accurate but this is what I remember.

I had my guitar plugged directly into the instrument input on my iD22 - the input gain is then controlled by the gain knob on that channel (channel 2 iirc)

I had already recorded some DI tracks before I started messing around with amplitube. those DIs were tracked so they peaked between -18 and -12 on the meter in reaper. I threw the plugin on the channel and I was getting very little gain in the tone (was looking for a high gain tone). I thought perhaps it was just limitations of the amps available in the demo version so I was trying all the different models and tweaking and so forth. I had the input (bottom left as you mentioned) cranked and there was still not very much gain on tap.

it wasn't until I recorded some hotter DI tracks that the plug started sounding ok (still limitations of the demo models I think). the hotter DI tracks though were peaking much higher than I liked though, between 0 and -6. iirc the plugin really liked seeing the hotter levels but with the gain on my DI that high I had to be really careful or I was clipping with palm mutes...concerning considering I was playing a standard E tuned 6 and I've got a couple 7 strings hanging on the wall!

since I'm new to this, some questions are what levels are people setting their DI tracks at to get good results with the plug? and also just trying to make sure I have my settings right on the plugin itself and I'm not making some dumb noob mistake.

thanks again
pb.wavelengths

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling