Leslie automation

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Leslie automation

Postby purplehayz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm interested in the Leslie kit. However, I have the Leslie 147 cab in AmpliTube Max and can't figure out how to automate start/stop/break from Logic Pro. That's a deal breaker for me - that's what gives Leslie it's soul.

Is there a way to do that for the full Leslie implementations?
purplehayz

Re: Leslie automation

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:21 pm

The new upcoming Leslie release has many more controls. You can find information at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/leslie
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby garfy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:43 pm

purplehayz wrote:I have the Leslie 147 cab in AmpliTube Max and can't figure out how to automate start/stop/break from Logic Pro.

Assuming you have Logic Pro X, the best way to automate the Leslie speed is by using Smart Controls. You need to assign a parameter number to the speed controller in AmpliTube and then have Smart Controls take over.

1) Open AmpliTube as an insert effect on your audio/MIDI track.
2) Choose the rotary cab you want (I’ll assume Cab A and Rotary 147-1 for the rest of this)
3) Click ‘Auto’ at the bottom right of the AmpliTube GUI and you’ll see a list of Plug-In Parameters on the left and DAW Automation Param numbers on the right, with instructions in the middle.
4) On the left scroll/click: Cab A>Rotary>Rotary 147-1>Speed and in the middle click ‘Add’ to add it as Param 1.
5) Now open Smart Controls in Logic and the first knob should be labelled Param 1 (caveat below). Fully to the left should now Brake, in the middle will be Slow and fully right will be Fast.

You will now be able to record the automation on the Automation lane using either Latch or Touch mode, or by drawing it in by hand.

Caveat: If you have already got other insert plugins or MIDI instruments instantiated on the track, the Smart Controls may be already pre-mapped to these. You will need to decide which one you don’t need (if any) and change it to Param 1 using the Parameter Mapping dialogue in the Smart Controls Inspector.

Hope that helps (and makes sense). It takes longer to read my instructions than actually do the mapping. :D
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby purplehayz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks - that worked, however, 0 appears to be break, 0.25 appears to be slow, and 0.5 - 1.0 appear to be fast. I didn't see that all possible cabinets showed up in the Auto window under the Cab A item - that's weird (I wonder what happens if I switch the main cab in the plugin w/ automation for a param setting for a different cab already programmed).

Speed is one of the most important live switches for me for organ for a Leslie, so I need access to that one to be useful (to me).

Thanks again!
purplehayz

Postby garfy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:15 am

purplehayz wrote:I didn't see that all possible cabinets showed up in the Auto window under the Cab A item - that's weird (I wonder what happens if I switch the main cab in the plugin w/ automation for a param setting for a different cab already programmed).

Glad you’ve got it working. I didn’t spend a lot of time changing cabinets after, but I would presume that you can only have Param 1 pointing at 1 cab/1 function and so putting a different cab in would mean you can’t use Param 1 without reassigning it. I may be wrong.

Experiment - it’s when all the good mistakes are made :D
garfy

Postby avocadostudios » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:49 pm

Garfy thanks for this thread. Is there a youtube I can view to control the Leslie within Logic Pro using a key command?
avocadostudios

Postby avocadostudios » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:51 pm

By the way I only use a Yamaha P125 as my controller, no buttons or data wheels. I COULD set up a second axiom keyboard if completely nessa. Thanks again.
avocadostudios

Postby garfy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:38 pm

Hi avocadostudios and welcome to the forum.

Someone may correct me here, but I think you can only use Key Commands to control elements and commands in the main Logic platform itself, but not things like plugins.

MIDI CC or automation is the way, so I think setting up the Axiom is the way to go. However, if you've got the Sus/Sos/Soft pedal for your piano, that might send out different different CC numbers depending on the pedal you push down, but I don't know for sure.
garfy

Postby avocadostudios » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:45 pm

Thanks Garfy, that IS how I trigger the leslie with the Logic B3 but no luck with the IK Hammond b3 so far. I wish there was a downloadable manual that was in depth. Also I don't seem to be able to find the new sounds set up by the B3 artists including Tom Breslin in the pre-sets. Definitely a newbie here but my experience is the IK software sounds amazing but automation and application is a lil wanky
avocadostudios

Postby garfy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:21 pm

avocadostudios wrote:no luck with the IK Hammond b3

Ahhh, we're talking at slightly crossed purposes. This thread is about the Leslie cabs in AmpliTube not the B-3X. But, I'll answer your questions and then I'll lock the thread to avoid confusion in the future.

The manual should have been installed when you installed B3X in Mac HD -> Library -> Documentation ->IK Multimedia -> Product Name, or you can get it via the Product Manager or in your User Area. The page to start for MIDI controllers is 23, chapter 2.6 but actually it makes things a little easier if you're already using a sustain pedal in LPX.

In B-3X:

1) Open the Settings menu (Gear icon)
2) On the right hand side you'll see the MIDI Controllers menu
3) Change "Leslie Speed" to CC64 (Sustain) and toggle "Latch" on.

This should now mean that you can switch the speed selector using your sustain pedal as a momentary switch.

avocadostudios wrote:Also I don't seem to be able to find the new sounds set up by the B3 artists including Tom Breslin in the pre-sets

Make sure you have version 1.3.2 installed. All of Tom Breslin's presets are there, marked with "TB" at the end of each preset name.

Hope that sorts everything out. Let us know and I can lock this thread after you.
garfy

Postby avocadostudios » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:12 pm

Thank you so much. We have lift off! Found all his presets. Last question, are there any factory presets on yours? Mine says Pres 0: Untitled
avocadostudios

Postby garfy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:19 pm

avocadostudios wrote:are there any factory presets on yours? Mine says Pres 0: Untitled

I'm guessing you are talking about the Logic dropdown menu in their 'wrapper' around the IK GUI?

Mine shows the same. Access the presets from the actual B-3X GUI.
garfy

Postby mhuss » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:12 am

I have the latest Leslie set for A5, but I can't figure out how to automate the speed control. Unlike the pedals and amps where you have right-click > assign automation, in the speaker section you just have 'Save Model Preset,' etc. (This seems to be true about for all the speaker cab settings in general). Has anyone figured this out?
mhuss

Postby livesforrap » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:43 am

It's tricky.

Go to the top right and click on the three bars. Then on the left, click on cab A. Then you see all the cabs available, click on the arrow for the leslie cab you are using. Select "speed" and add to the right column.

Now the rest is up to your DAW. In studio one, just click on the rotor control, move the controller on your midi controller and click the little triangle.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby livesforrap » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:44 pm

Oh, I forgot to say, I've picked my favorites and saves them as presets in studio one, that way all I have to do is drag/drop and then set my controller really quick not to have to go through that every single time.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling