Amplitube Plugin - Bad Latency - Logic Pro X (Mac)

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube Plugin - Bad Latency - Logic Pro X (Mac)

Postby Ashton.britnoirlondon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Anyone else experiencing bad latency with the Amplitube plugin on Logic Pro X?

I'm running an i7 Macbook Pro (2017) with 16gb ram (OS Sierra) - it literally runs everything flawlessly, except the Amplitube plugin it would seem. I'm using an iRig Pro i/O.

Even with the buffer size reduced to 32 samples (the lowest in logic that I have ever used) the latency is terrible! Almost 1 second, and completely unusable. Logic's amp designer (modeller) works fine (just sounds like crap), and other plugins work fine too.

Very unhappy - I was hoping to use the plugin as a quick solution to rough cut an album before going into the studio.

If anyone has any ideas to improve things that would be fab!
Ashton.britnoirlondon

Re: Amplitube Plugin - Bad Latency - Logic Pro X (Mac)

Postby garfy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 pm

In your Logic Audio Preferences:

1) What does it report as the latency at 32 samples?
2) What have you got your processing threads, process buffer range and multithreading set to?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby carlaz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Should it be assumed that you have just once instance of Amplitube running on one track, with no other plugins on any other tracks (or the mix bus, etc.)? Have you experimented with Logic's Low Latency Mode to see if that makes a difference?
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Ashton.britnoirlondon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:10 pm

i7 Macbook Pro 16GB ram (OS Sierra)
iRig Pro I/O

Logic/Preferences/Audio/Devices:
32 Samples - 15.9 ms
64 Samples - 17.4 ms
128 Samples - 20.3 ms
Processing Threads: Automatic
Process Buffer: Medium
Multi Threading: Playback & Live

Only one instance of Amplitube running on a single audio track. Logic's low latency mode doesn't appear do anything either. Latency terrible.

After playing around on Amplitube (via Logic Pro X), switching between amps, trying different pedals etc for 5 minutes (eventually settling on one amp only) - the latency gets even worse to completely unusable.

I've always stayed away from virtual instruments - I'm an analogue guy and will take a micd up cranked tube head over software any day. I was mad to think that Amplitube for Mac and iRig Pro I/O could help me. This stuff sucks, is over hyped, clunky to setup, and clearly not built by creatives. Feels like developers just hacked it together. Such a shame!
Ashton.britnoirlondon

Postby carlaz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:11 am

OK, I don't have this problem even when running multiple instances of Amplitube on multiple tracks, even with other plugins. Well, OK, sure: if I've got most of a mix together, especially with some very hungry stuff on the mix bus, for example, yeah, I can certainly create a situation with that much latency! But that much latency on a single instance on a single track suggests some technical problem with either how the plugin is installed/configured or how Logic is installed/configured (or something along those lines). Sounds like one for Support! Meanwhile, do you get this latency with the standalone Amplitube app?
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Ashton.britnoirlondon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:07 am

I can hear very slight latency on the stand alone app for mac (Amplitube 4), but is totally playable. In fact, their is less latency on Amplitube 4 for tablet which is just crazy.

I play literally every day through high powered rigs and have done so for over 20 years. Latency for me is a complete mojo killer.

if I have to contact IK support or Apple to get to the root of the problem (also not good for the mojo) - hell, I'll just mic up my rig instead. Writing music should be fun and creative, IK (iRig & Amplitube 4) has been a head ache from start to finish. I certainly won't be delving any further into their product range.

Might be worth checking out if MacOS Sierra has something to do with it though...
Ashton.britnoirlondon

Postby garfy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 am

Although your reported latency is higher than I get reported in my setup, it still shouldn’t be audibly obvious and, as you say other plugins sound fine, I’m with Carlaz that it’s an AmpliTube issue rather than iRig. But, this will sound a weird thing to try, in Logic audio device prefs:

Uncheck Core Audio and hit Apply Changes
Recheck Core Audio and hit Apply Changes

Sometimes the Core Audio driver can get screwy and this just clears it out. Probably won’t make a difference, but worth a shot. Also, I know it’s a very 20th century, but have you tried rebooting the Mac?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby carlaz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Yes, restarting Core Audio does often help solve weird latency problems on Mac. But, also, if you are using High Sierra, I don't think that's yet an officially supported version of macOS for Amplitube, so it's not impossible that something is going on there.

I'm on Sierra (10.12.6). I can certainly load up enough stuff in Logic that it creates plenty of audible latency, but likewise I certainly don't notice any particular issues if I'm just tracking on a few tracks with relatively minimal plug-ins (including AT4) and I keep the buffer size to 128 or below. So this sounds like some software/config issue somewhere (though that could include High Sierra issues).
--
carlaz
1K Club

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling