Surf Rock Sound with Fender Collection 1

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Surf Rock Sound with Fender Collection 1

Postby kj8791jz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Can anybody give me some advice on how creating a good surf rock sound with the Fender collection? I use Logic with the plugin surfing stereo which is quite OK. Can I do better with AmpliTube fender? Thx!
kj8791jz

Re: Surf Rock Sound with Fender Collection 1

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi, I asked someone on the IK team who is into surf rock and he suggested that you go for the Fender Deluxe with the Fender tape delay plus Fender ’63 reverb for that type of sound.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Re: Surf Rock Sound with Fender Collection 1

Postby LocoGhoul » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:55 pm

Hi there! My chain settings for classic 60s surf are, for instance (using the Fender Collection series 1):

1) Fender Tape Echo > Amp > Compressor > Tape Echo (Rack)
2) '63 Reverb Tank > Amp > Compressor > Tape Echo (Rack)
3) Tape Echo > Amp (Reverb onboard) > Compressor (Rack)
4) '63 Reverb Tank > Fender Tape Echo > Amp
5) Compressor > 4) '63 Reverb Tank > Fender Tape Echo > Amp

The Amps: I find that Deluxe Revb., Twin Revb., Vibroverb Custom (Stock mode ON) and Princeton Revb, fit perfectly for this style. Also, I use other amps like the Vibro-King, the '65 Super Reverb (a real beast; try it with a fuzz in front if you're inclined to Davie Allan's style), and the American Vintage D (the Dual Showman), "rigged" as a Single Showman (EQ: American Tube Clean 1; Amp Model: 50w 6L6 + '64 Vibroverb cab).

Reverb: When I'm using the Reverb tank, I hardly use the onboard reverb (only 1-2, no more than that). I think you might sound so "drippy" if the amp's reverb is above 2 while the Reverb tank is on.

Compression: For me it always has to be low, very low.

Tape Echo: Classic slapback, more or less (115 ms to 250 ms; 1-2 repeats. My range is 135-165ms).

And the most essential thing: a single coil guitar! And some of technique would not come bad either ;)

My advice: just experience and innovate, pal! Try other amps, pedals, settings... Surf rock has evolved a lot since the 60s :D

I hope I've helped. Surf on! ;)
LocoGhoul

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling