Amplitube 4 and Stomp/Wah control?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 4 and Stomp/Wah control?

Postby normoxic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:29 am

Hiya all,

Right, I've just had a buddy show me around Amplitube 4 (as I was looking at getting a new amp). He mainly uses it for Amp modelling purposes only however I intend on using it more for stomp boxes.

What has left me massively stumped (and unwilling to purchase the software) is that I have yet to see a solution for controlling the stomp boxes and wah pedals.

I must make it clear at this point that I am on PC - Windows 10.

I am aware that the Blueboard exists (not compatible for PC).
Stealth Products were extremely expensive for what they do (IMO - YMMV) and as far as I can tell are discontinued anyway.

Other solutions seem to be setting up Behringer FCB1010 or Line 6 products, but I've yet to see this look slick and easy to do!!

So, really, my question is this - how does IK Multimedia actually suggest I control my pedal boxes and wah with my feet to make their product, Amplitube 4, useful? Or am I expected to stop playing and control effects using my keyboard or mouse?

This seems like a huge oversight in an otherwise great looking piece of software - I mean, I really want it, but not much point if I can't control the thing....

Thanks all
normoxic

Re: Amplitube 4 and Stomp/Wah control?

Postby carlaz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm on a Mac, and I've been a little leary of Blueboard! I mean, I'm sure it's great if you really need a portable wireless MIDI stomp-controller to which you would then have to attach a separately purchased expression pedal anyway to control a way ... :roll: So, it's a lot of money (especially in S. America, where I am) to buy a thing to which I have to attach another thing (that I also have to buy) and hope that Bluetooth does its job.

I'm not saying I'm adverse to wireless tech -- but I'm using AT 99.9% at my desktop, surrounded by various power, data, and instrument cables anyway, and I'd be fine with one more for an expression pedal.

Stealthpedal does seem to be at least "de-emphasized" these days. It seems like a great product for the newbie to computer-based guitar recording, but also I suspect a lot of people have an audio-interface for their computer anyway, and many home-recording hobbyists probably want an interface with at least phantom power for mics (which Stealthpedal does/did not have).

I actually wish IKM would simply put out a basic USB-connecting expression pedal that did basically nothing else at all but plug into my computer and let me control a software way in AT. If it also had a 1/4" output that allowed it to be plugged into Blueboard as regular ol' MIDI expression pedal, fine -- but I don't have much interest in that, honestly. I don't change or control AT's effects on the fly; but a way would be different.

Still, all the possible solutions seem rather expensive (and laden with features I don't need) or rather jury-rigged (such that who knows if they'd really work or not) or both. :P
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby normoxic » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:45 am

Agree with all of the above. I will hasten to remind though, at least they make something for mac - I mean, IKM are at least considering that user base. It just seems random to me that Windows based users are left with less options than an Android device (again, without going through the third party options).

Any official response from IKM regarding this? I would really like to purchase a full version of Amplitube 4 but this lack of hardware support makes it completely pointless for my purpose over a modelling amp or effects pedal (and all of that considering I would prefer Amplitube over these devices - for various reasons, again YMMV).
normoxic

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:29 pm

Any official response would be that AmpliTube has full MIDI control support including MIDI learn so you are able to choose and configure as you wish your choice of MIDI controllers that are available on the market today. This offers flexibility to have a setup that is precisely the way you like it, rather than in a predetermined on a controller that could become obsolete in a shorter amount of time.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby normoxic » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:30 am

Although it is a great political response from Peter (and it finishes the topic off really) but it still doesn't really it make clear why a product IS offered for Mac/iOs/Android users and not for PC users. I guess if that is the best IKM can come up with I will have to consider the product quite seriously before purchase. :shock:

This also flags up some concern over support for the product too :? . Way too many times we have seen software companies blaming the hardware companies and vice versa - certainly not going to put myself in that situation with a few hundred dollars worth of gear.

Thanks for the replies I guess :ugeek:
normoxic

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:53 am

The reason iRig BlueBoard supports Mac and iOS is because those platforms supported Bluetooth MIDI when it was released. WIndows did not have any - even limited - support for MIDI over Bluetooth LE on a version of their OS until VERY recently.

You have a huge array of MIDI controllers available to you that will work on Windows, so I don't see this as IK limiting your ability to control AmpliTube. Any standard MIDI controller will do, many come with or have available connections for expression pedal(s).
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby normoxic » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:47 am

iRig BlueBoard supports Mac and iOS is because those platforms supported Bluetooth MIDI when it was released. WIndows did not have any - even limited - support for MIDI over Bluetooth LE on a version of their OS until VERY recently.

Uh, this turned exactly the way I expected it, very quickly.

See what I mean about one blaming the other.....Let's be fair here - a USB port on the Blueboard would have gone a long way into selling a lot more. I understand if there were reasons for not implementing it (such as being a bluetooth only device) - but it does mean IKM has left a user base behind in terms of native support by providing it's own peripheral for it's own software.

Agreed there are other options out there, however they are not without their various caveats. And when a customers are looking for a native peripheral it seems odd not to sell them one. I can imagine the demand from Windows based customers to be relatively low in comparison to the mobile device and Mac markets.
normoxic

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:34 am

I'm not blaming anybody else. It was always meant to be a wireless controller, and was released supporting platforms that were possible at the time.

For a wired controller, there are as pointed out many options available since AmpliTube supports the MIDI standard that has been the mainstay for control in wide consumer use since the 80s.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:09 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Any official response would be that AmpliTube has full MIDI control support including MIDI learn so you are able to choose and configure as you wish your choice of MIDI controllers that are available on the market today.

Yeah, I know; I understand the decisions. And, yes: people do make MIDI controllers that connect to a computer etc. directly via USB (or USB adaptors for existing MIDI pedals) though these are are weirdly difficult to find and then also very difficult to get in my neck of the planet. I'm reluctant to go to a lot of trouble and expense for something that I cannot really trust will work. In contrast, IKM has pretty good channels these days -- I've actually seen BlueBoards and various iRigs in local shops -- and so I have some confidence that an IKM USB MIDI expression pedal would not only 1) work (as maybe many of the others do, but who knows), and 2) be locally available! :mrgreen: (And then, if for some reason it didn't work, I'd have a chance to taking it back -- which I wouldn't, realistically, if I ordered some niche product from overseas.)

So it's great that IKM makes the BlueBoard. If I needed that as a solution, yes, I could at least go out to a few shops and have a chance of finding it. But just I wish I could do the same with a dumb MIDI/USB expression pedal!
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby normoxic » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:49 am

So what options do we realistically have here....

As far as I can tell the FCB1010 works but requires an UNO chip and a lot of programming.....and is a bit confusing as to what it can and can't do. Seems a stock one is a bit limited. Oh yeah, and add to it the need for a MIDI to USB adaptor.

Behringer FCB1010+UNO+MIDI2USB+programming it all....

Line 6 Fvb Express mk2 has 4 pedals and a expression controller. That limits a lot of controller when I have 5 stomp boxes on the board. Can't assign anything to tuner either.

Sorry Peter....what are the options that are compatible out of the box with Amplitube?
normoxic

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:13 pm

I don't believe the FCB1010 absolutely requires a new chip. Others that used it can chime in, but it is a standard MIDI footboard and should work fine with AmpliTube as far as I can see. Again, others can chime in here or there's likely information at other sites about using that controller.

Many/most of these or similar listings at other retailers should do the trick: http://www.guitarcenter.com/MIDI-Foot-Controllers.gc
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby smata65 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:11 pm

You don't need the UNO Chip in order to control Amplitube. It s nice to have (as it gives you on/off status of stompboxes) but it is not required, and you don't lose any control capability by not using it.

The FCB can control anything that's MIDI controllable in Amplitube (Again, with or without UNO).

Any standard MIDI controller (even IKM's Blueboard) will require that you assign MIDI PC (Program change) to any presets that you want to change via MIDI, and CC (control change) to any FX parameters that you want to control with that preset. Asign the same MIDI channel to AT and the MIDI controller, and define the PC and CC numbers asigned to the MIDI controller Footswitches and pedals.

There are several users in this forum(including myself) that have been using FCB1010 and other midi controllers for years
smata65

Postby carlaz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:39 pm

However great the FCB1010 might be, it still has a bunch of footswitches in which I'm not interested and still requires a MIDI/USB adapter anyway. Is there any cheaper option that is just an MIDI expression pedal that connects directly via USB.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby amb945 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:49 pm

carlaz wrote:Is there any cheaper option that is just an MIDI expression pedal that connects directly via USB.

I would try the Logidy UMI3 USB foot switch board with an expression pedal attached.
https://www.amazon.com/Logidy-UMI3-MIDI ... B002YL81RW
https://www.amazon.com/Moog-ACCEP003-EP ... B00GG20DJ4

Much simpler than the overly complicated FCB1010 and it's $119.95 for both.
amb945

Postby jopedesousa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:03 am

I use ICON G-board http://iconproaudio.com/product/g-board/ for all my midi program change or stomp box change. You can program it anyway you want really. I have used it extensively with NI Guitar Rig 5 as well and works like a charm!
But no expression pedal though...
jopedesousa

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling