Amplitube 4 and Stomp/Wah control?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Amplitube 4 and Stomp/Wah control? In a perfect world ..

Postby VanessaJ » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:41 am

In a perfect world a simple, straightforward expression pedal with a USB port would exist. I mean, this IS 2017, and most music these days is done on a computer using various plug-ins.
Pedals with 1/4-inch plugs or midi plugs all require the purchase of an interface, which is just another latency-adding piece of gear between your performance and the DAW.

In a perfect world, a manufacturer somewhere would see this obvious need and make a bunch of money filling it ...
VanessaJ

Re: Amplitube 4 and Stomp/Wah control?

Postby carlaz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Yes, you would think that some kind of company that had been putting a lot of effort into musician-oriented controller/connectors over the last few years might actually produce such a device (which besides being generally useful might also enhance functionality of one of that company's existing software products) ....

But ....

:roll:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby pat_geary » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:40 pm

At least I know I'm not alone now.
I need to put some Wah on a few tracks and really want to do this via an expression pedal rather than inputting midi afterwards. I don't want lots of buttons or a large board and don't need another interface, just a wah pedal that I can plug in via usb as and when it's needed.
Doesn't seem a lot to ask and when I started looking I thought I was going to find tons to choose from.
Does anyone know if I can control the Wah using a mod wheel on a keyboard? Then I could get the keyboard on the floor and get the toe out!!
pat_geary

Postby VanessaJ » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:36 am

You should be able to use your keyboard mod wheel.
Just right-click the wah pedal, select midi learn, and move the mod wheel until Amplitube 4 assigns it. You can then click on the "midi" option in the lower-right corner of the Amplitube 4 page to verify the selection.

Good Luck!
VanessaJ

Postby carlaz » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Ha! The workaround of trying to control Amplitube wahs by toeing the mod wheel of a keyboard set on the floor is so weird that I just have to try it! :lol: :mrgreen:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby pat_geary » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:39 am

Sadly though, it didn't work. Not yet anyway. The keyboard is inputting midi ok and Logic recognises this but I can't seem to get Amplitube to see the midi.

Gonna have another go today.
pat_geary

Postby garfy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:09 pm

pat_geary wrote:Sadly though, it didn't work. Not yet anyway. The keyboard is inputting midi ok and Logic recognises this but I can't seem to get Amplitube to see the midi.

By the looks of things, you can’t address the MIDI input directly to A4 in Logic, you have to use Smart Controls.

1) Insert A4 into an FX slot (you might already have done this), load the Wah and leave the window open.
2) Open Smart Control for that track
3) Right click Wah pedal>Assign Automation>Wah>give it a Param number (e.g. Param 1)

Now if you move knob 1 in the Smart Controls window the wah should move (you should just about be able to see a blue ring around the knob). Now you need to assign an external controller to the knob…

4) Click the Show Inspector in the Smart Controls window (i in circle)
5) Under Automatic Smart Controls click the Learn button next to External Assignment (the ring around Param 1 knob should turn red)
6) Move the mod wheel on your MIDI keyboard and it should assign it (and the knob + wah pedal should move)
7) Click learn again to take it out of learn mode.

It takes longer to type it than to do it, so sorry for being longwinded. Good luck with your toe on the mod wheel ;)
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby pat_geary » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:02 am

Garfy, thank you!
Please don't apologise for being long winded that was absolutely spot on and worked first time.
Even if I don't end up using the mod wheel I know how to set up something else.

Cheers!
pat_geary

Postby garfy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:42 pm

No worries Pat.

Although I’ve never tried one, I suspect that if you have an expression pedal and the relevant connection on your MIDI keyboard/interface this would be a more realistic solution.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Strangeleaf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:54 am

The Stealth products work just fine, since they can be set to control MIDI and Amplitube 4 has MIDI learn to be controlled by it.
Strangeleaf

Postby ElectricRay » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Guys - I had this exact question. But isn't this the puppy?

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/stealthpedal/

A Wah controller made by IK Multimedia for Amplitube!
ElectricRay

Postby carlaz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Stealthpedal is probably a good solution if you 1) have no other interface, and 2) only use a guitar/bass. But, for example, if you need phantom power for a condenser mic or something anyway, then you have to have another interface for that, and Stealthpedal becomes rather overloaded expression pedal.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby flavorgeneral » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:35 pm

Will this technique work with Ableton Live 9 or 10?
flavorgeneral

Previous

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling