VST Sample Rate Question?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

VST Sample Rate Question?

Postby snowdiver » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:32 am

Does the vst automatically adapt to the bit/sample rate of the host DAW? If I'm running a track that's 24/96 through the VST of Amplitube 4, will it run at 24/96?

The reason I ask, is that I'm always amazed by what my tones sound like in the standalone. But, when I record with my DAW, I'm less enthused (I still like it, but it seems to be missing a lot of character). Then, today, I got to thinking ... I probably have it set to higher Sample Rate (e.g. 96) when I run my interface straight into it. I typically record at 24/44. I don't see why I can't record at 24/96 and get a little more dimension out of Amplitube--IF it really works that way. Will it? I can't seem to find any adjustments in the vst--but I'm thinking that's because its dependent on the DAW.

Unfortunately, I can't test this right now ... so, hopefully, someone can get back to me.
snowdiver

Re: VST Sample Rate Question?

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:28 pm

Yes, the plugins will work with your DAW's sample rate set as you mention.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby stateofepicicity » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:30 pm

The best thing to do is to use the same sampling rate in the standalone that you use in your DAW. The reason being, as you've already experienced, is that your tones will sound different depending on the sampling rate. I've found bass frequencies really cut through the room at 96kHz with Amplitube, but at 44.1kHz all of my tones sound tighter. I used to use 96kHz all the time, but now I use 44.1. The difference in sound between sampling rates is a violently debated subject at forums like gearslutz, and I highly recommend doing some reading to make your best judgment as to what you most prefer, as it takes into account highly divisive theories.

In the end, I think the best think is just to use your ears. If the sampling rate at which you run the standalone is 44.1, I recommend recording at 44.1 for your guitar tracks only, and seeing if they sound good in your 96kHz mix. It might actually be great.

And how different plugins act at different sampling rates is another pandora's box. I wish you all the luck with this, as it is something with which everyone must make their own peace. :-)
stateofepicicity

Postby refreshener » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:07 am

[mod redaction - please do not spread misinformation based on an issue you are having. Please report this issue to IK Support and they will assist you.]
refreshener

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling