Announcing AmpliTube 4! Out now!!!

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Rip off price

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:40 pm

chriswal33 wrote:I've only just bought Amplitube 3, and having noticed the latest version 4, presumed I could upgrade for a reasonable fee.
But no, it appears I have to fork out 149 euros.
No, don't think I'll be doing this. Or buying any other IKM products. Ever again.

Sorry to hear that. We had a long preorder period, also you could (and still can) use JamPoints to get a discount that new users do not get. If you are unfamiliar with the JamPoints loyalty program you can read more at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/jampoints/

Your reasonable fee would be up to 30% off with JamPoints (not to mention further discount on Gear Credits packs which give a great discount when purchased in bulk), a deal which others who are not previous customers cannot get.

The 149 euros gets you all of the great new features AND five new amps/cabs - all for the same price as just five amps and cabs that you'd get with AmpliTube MESA/Boogie as a comparison for the great deal - not to mention the up to 30% you can save as a loyal IK customer!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Re: Announcing AmpliTube 4! Out now!!!

Postby joflo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Are there no Patches in AT4 anymore or am i missing something? I want to save some Presets to Patches but that seems not to be possible?

And it also seems there is no "Reverb" in AT4 anymore? In AT3 the Amps had Reverb, in AT4 no.
joflo

Postby carlaz » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:47 am

joflo wrote:Are there no Patches in AT4 anymore or am i missing something? I want to save some Presets to Patches but that seems not to be possible?

I had just been wondering about this. I used to use the patches to save a "new default" preset of my choosing along with a handful of other commonly used presets for quick access, but patches are not obviously there anymore.
joflo wrote:And it also seems there is no "Reverb" in AT4 anymore? In AT3 the Amps had Reverb, in AT4 no.

Well, not all the modeled Marshalls had reverb built in to the physical amps: the 800, Major, Jubilee, all "no" (I think). Maybe the JMP-1, "no", too? Though the 900 "yes", as best I recall; perhaps it just got left out in an effort to reduce knobbage on the interface?
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby smata65 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:40 am

joflo wrote:Are there no Patches in AT4 anymore or am i missing something? I want to save some Presets to Patches but that seems not to be possible?

And it also seems there is no "Reverb" in AT4 anymore? In AT3 the Amps had Reverb, in AT4 no.

Patches were phased out, as they were only used with IKM older hardware controllers, and the last one of them (stealthpedal) was discontinued. iRig Blueboard does not use patches, just straight midi (i.e. Presets for AT3/4) :geek:

All previous AT models (AT2/3, Orange , Custom Shop, etc.) that had reverb, still have it, like the Carvin V3M, American Clean MKIII, or Metal Lead V.

As Carlaz pointed out, the only omission on the new british models, seems to be the JCM900 model. IKM Abandoned sometime ago, adding reverb to Amps that do no have one built in, like the JH Gold or the MESA Dual and Triple rectifiers attest :ugeek:
smata65

British Valve Pre Power Amp

Postby stateofepicicity » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:25 am

Hi there,

What power amp was modeled for the British Valve Pre? The JMP-1 had a speaker emulator, but that doesn't make sense of course to output to an actual speaker cabinet, as is the case in Amplitube 4. Although that may be in fact after what it's modeled! That would be interesting. But, assuming this unit was modeled as a preamp going into a power amp, do you have any info on what power amp was modeled with this unit? The GUI for the British Valve Pre does seem to suggest that the virtual preamp is sitting atop a black power amp with vents flanking the Amplitube logo. Just wondering what that is, since poweramps are so integral to tone! The other interesting question this raises is to what setting the power amp was set, since it is not actually adjustable in Amplitube!

I realize this is a question for the people doing the initial measurements with the source units, and it might be hard to get this answer, but I think it would be very cool to have that info. Regardless, of the answer, I'm greatly enjoying this model, as well as all of the British Collection.

Thanks in advance!
stateofepicicity

How do I get Full screen?

Postby arnold_v_guitar » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:28 am

Hi all,
very pleased with Ampl4, no doubt about that
Only major minor issue for me as I'm wearing glasses is ... :ugeek:
.. How do I get the Amplitube 4 standalone and plugin to work full screen in OSX?
kind regards, Arnold
arnold_v_guitar

Re: British Valve Pre Power Amp

Postby carlaz » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:12 pm

stateofepicicity wrote:The JMP-1 had a speaker emulator, but that doesn't make sense of course to output to an actual speaker cabinet, as is the case in Amplitube 4. Although that may be in fact after what it's modeled! That would be interesting.

That's an interesting question. Given how long ago the JMP-1 came out, I would guess that the original unit's speaker emulation was fairly rudimentary; perhaps little more than the application of the EQ that approximated what one would expect a speaker/cab to do. Probably AT4's current emulation of speakers/cabs is considerably more sophisticated! If I had to guess, I'd suspect that this has simply been ignored -- though presumably, in theory, IKM could compare the signals coming out via a real JMP-1's speaker emulation output with a regular output and create a "Brit Valve Pre" speaker emulation "cab" unit to represent it.

But, assuming this unit was modeled as a preamp going into a power amp, do you have any info on what power amp was modeled with this unit?

Another interesting question. Given the actual JMP-1 was just a pre-amp, my guess is that no power amp was modeled? Something like a 9100 or 9200 would probably be appropriate, but .... Presumably IKM could model power amps like these as "rack" units and then you could slap one after the Brit Valve Pre in the new AT4 insert slot.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:17 pm

The power amp is a custom-created “IK” power amp customized for and tailored to the preamp's behavior.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:18 pm

smata65 wrote:As Carlaz pointed out, the only omission on the new british models, seems to be the JCM900 model. IKM Abandoned sometime ago, adding reverb to Amps that do no have one built in, like the JH Gold or the MESA Dual and Triple rectifiers attest :ugeek:

I think the appearance of "spring reverb" controls in models of gear that didn't necessary have reverb was an artifact of the AT2-era modeling philosophy: with separate pre-amp, EQ stack, and power amp models. Inevitably, that meant reverb controls would end up in places where it had not historically been.
Post AT-3, IKM has gone the other way: modeling "whole amp heads" but sometimes ditching less "popular" controls. While no doubt some JCM900 users loved their reverb ... how many contemporary guitarists ended up using the reverb controls on any Marshall, head or combo or whatever? I suspect most just dialed it out and relied on pedals or racks (perhaps in the hands of the mixer anyway).
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby carlaz » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Peter_IK wrote:The power amp is a custom-created “IK” power amp customized for and tailored to the preamp's behavior.

Interesting again ... so perhaps this really means something like a 9100 or 9200 was quietly modeled in there?

I'm also intrigued by IK creating their "own" stuff again. I think it would be interesting if IK kicked out a few more models that were basically their own inventions: a "based on hot-rodded Marshall" or weird pedals or something. They might not be as popular as straight models of well-known famous gear, but they would be interesting. :ugeek:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Re: How do I get Full screen?

Postby DarkStar » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:02 pm

arnold_v_guitar wrote:Hi all,
.. How do I get the Amplitube 4 standalone and plugin to work full screen in OSX?
kind regards, Arnold

You don't - the GUI is a fixed size. You might be able to use some third-party magnifier tool.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby rbnc » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:41 pm

DarkStar wrote:
arnold_v_guitar wrote:Hi all,
kind regards, Arnold

You don't - the GUI is a fixed size. You might be able to use some third-party magnifier tool.

I just gave AT4 a try and the interface is a real let down..
At 2560x1440 the fixed gui is too small (its 1102x761 pixels).
I really hoped that the AT4 gui was scalable or at least the font size could be adjusted.

Every webdesigner makes their site use bigger fonts for better readability, the gui of AT4 is still stuck when 1280x1024 was mainstream.

I understand that redoing the amp graphics was too time consuming but why cramp everything in 1100 pixels when a PC has more space, its not an iPad :-).

Guitarr*g has a selectable height, not ideal but at least I can use my monitor' resolution better.
rbnc

Re: British Valve Pre Power Amp

Postby stateofepicicity » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:37 am

carlaz wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:The power amp is a custom-created “IK” power amp customized for and tailored to the preamp's behavior.

Interesting again ... so perhaps this really means something like a 9100 or 9200 was quietly modeled in there?

I'm also intrigued by IK creating their "own" stuff again. I think it would be interesting if IK kicked out a few more models that were basically their own inventions: a "based on hot-rodded Marshall" or weird pedals or something. They might not be as popular as straight models of well-known famous gear, but they would be interesting. :ugeek:

Intriguing, and surprising. At that point, I would think the developers would simply use the old style swappable power tube section, especially since the amp models with swappable components are still available in Amplitube 4; perhaps this a sign that those models may eventually be phased out. I far prefer the Brit 8000 over the British Tube Lead 1, regardless of the latter's flexibility. But, the decision might fall more in line with the new philosophy of whole head modeling: if you don't have a full head to model, you simply create an optimized poweramp to match the preamp. I've always wondered if the departure from swappable components came from the desire not compete with Revalver, which of course operates on the other end of the spectrum with regard to component swappability. I don't know, I never quite had the feeling in my gut from Revalver that I do from Amplitube models. Especially the Amplitube cabs. They really get me. But again, it's just what works for your playing.

Whatever kind of preamp was created for the JMP-1, the preamp / power amp combo sounds great. Tight as hell, and very responsive. Perhaps that's the point of an optimized poweramp. This is the developers' idea of what a rig involving a JMP-1 should sound like. I'd love to see some of the Voodoo Amps JMP-1 mods in Amplitube. Especially since this is not an official Marshall collaboration, who cares, why not use an enhanced version? Hell, isn't that how Boogie started, modding Fenders? Lee Jackson Metaltronix stuff, wasn't that started with modded Marshalls (if memory serves)? Anyway...

My current favorite is the SLO 100. I found a forum in which a Jet City employee was talking about the respect IK showed by approaching Soldano to create an agreement involving royalties for the use of the name, and the attention to detail in the modeling. I for one would completely love to see Soldano cab models! I realize Amplitube is utterly oozing with cab sounds, especially with the new swappable speakers (I imagine that was a very complicated modeling approach!), but still, there's a reason any Soldano is so sought after. And since there's already a partnership, it's a logical next step simply to model more of Mike Soldano's inimitable creations.

I imagine it would be endlessly fascinating to see how the speaker modeling was developed. I mean, how do you isolate the part the cab plays alone, aside from the speakers, perhaps you measure the cab with speakers, measure the speakers without the cabs, and use some sort of subtractive algorithm to approximate the effect the wood structure itself has on the sound. That's just awesome. Unless of course the devs simply installed all 29 speakers into each cab and measured them; the number of permutations would seem a daunting task to measure haha!

Thanks for looking into my question, Peter; always nice to peek behind the curtain to the thought process behind this software.
stateofepicicity

Postby emurphy94108 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:38 pm

jjguitar wrote:
emurphy94108 wrote:I've been doing some online research trying to figure out which speakers are modeled on which real speakers. Most of them are Celestions, naturally, and in many cases I've been able to infer which specific Celestions they're modeled on (e.g., G12M-25, Vintage 30, G12-80, etc.). The '65 Twin Reverb "American 12k" is probably the Jensen C12k, and the "California Red" is probably the JBL D120F Fender used in Silverface Twins from the late 60s. I assume the "EV Darkness" in the Boogie combo amps is probably an Electro-Voice EVM12L, since there weren't too many single drivers in the 70s and 80s that could handle the output from a 90-watt amp.

But this is mostly educated guesswork. I'd be interested to hear opinions more informed than mine, for such speakers as the "Metal V1200" in the 5150 cabs, and what Roland used in their Jazz Chorus 120s.

saw this on the gear page:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... 127/page-5

Thanks! Looks like I was right on some of mine, but this fills in a lot of the blanks. :-)
emurphy94108

Postby carlaz » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:07 pm

rbnc wrote:At 2560x1440 the [AT4] fixed gui is too small (its 1102x761 pixels).
I really hoped that the AT4 gui was scalable or at least the font size could be adjusted.

I was a bit surprised by this, too, considering the number of people who had mentioned it, and the relative ease with which one imagines it could be implemented. I am not sure that the Amp Designer or Pedalboard AUs in Logic Pro X are necessarily bigger at default 100% resolution, but you can at least scale them larger. They get pixelated, but at least are easier to read on a big, high-resolution screen. I would definitely encourage some kind of zoom capacity for a point-upgrade in 4.
--
carlaz
1K Club

PreviousNext

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling