Footswitch control and live performance

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Footswitch control and live performance

Postby Powersof10 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:02 pm

I'm using AT5 right now to do some basic tracking, just first steps.

How can I branch out to solo live performance?

What kind of foot pedal board would I use and how would one go about monitors and amplification for a live performance?

Thanks!

P10
Powersof10

Re: Footswitch control and live performance

Postby Peter_IK » Wed May 26, 2021 6:54 pm

I would recommend iRig Stomp I/O as a floorboard controller and audio interface.

It has outputs that you might want to send to a mixer if you want a proper monitoring setup (I'm assuming you mean a monitor wedge/speaker but obviously in-ears could work well in this setup too). Then the mixer can be used to set up the main and monitor mixes. You could use powered speakers out from the mixer or of course a PA that has both the mixer, amp, speakers all taken care of.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Powersof10 » Fri May 28, 2021 3:17 pm

Thanks Peter.

if someone has bought AT5 max on their PC, can they also use that license on their iPad? Or does that require a separate purchase?
Powersof10

Postby Peter_IK » Fri May 28, 2021 3:21 pm

Powersof10 wrote:Thanks Peter.

if someone has bought AT5 max on their PC, can they also use that license on their iPad? Or does that require a separate purchase?

AmpliTube for Mac/PC and AmpliTube for iOS are separate products and they do not transfer gear, etc between them.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Powersof10 » Fri May 28, 2021 3:26 pm

Ok got it, makes sense.

But if I wanted to use say, a laptop instead of an iPad, could I reuse my current license (installed on a PC) for that? Or would that require another license? Thanks.
Powersof10

Postby peterswa » Sat May 29, 2021 12:34 am

I am using a Dell Latitude 5290 windows 10 tablet with detachable keyboard. Let’s me reuse my license on both my main computer and the one I gig with. I am also using the stomp io.

I found it cheaper and cleaner to get a used windows tablet than have to re-buy the gear for an iPad.

Works like a charm and recommend this approach versus windows and iPad.
peterswa

Postby obispojoe » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:47 am

I've used a iRig HD 2 and a Blueboard thru a macbook pro for live performance. Works great for me. Also, I run the output of the iRig HD 2 to an active DI box whose outputs go to a floor monitor so I can hear myself and the other out to the PA.
obispojoe

Postby juic3maN » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:58 am

peterswa wrote:I am using a Dell Latitude 5290 windows 10 tablet with detachable keyboard. Let’s me reuse my license on both my main computer and the one I gig with. I am also using the stomp io.

I found it cheaper and cleaner to get a used windows tablet than have to re-buy the gear for an iPad.

Works like a charm and recommend this approach versus windows and iPad.

Awesome, thanks for that. I've got a Surface Pro 3 so that was going to be my setup as well, assuming it worked.

Have you got the Dell on a stand or is it on the floor? I can see the only possible outcome of leaving the Surface on the floor being a complete disaster :o

Now I just need to get the Stomp I/O. They're kinda exxy down here in Australia.
juic3maN

Postby peterswa » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:58 pm

I have it on a Samson LTS50 Laptop Stand (SALTS50). It is a more stable sheet music stand, which would also work. I have the laptop stand height set for easy reach. I set my tone for each song in a separate pre-set and quickly tap the needed "button" to make the change on the tablet between songs. Yes, you could rest it on the Stomp IO like it is pictured with an ipad (when you get your Stomp IO), but I find it easier to see and control at standing height.
peterswa

Postby juic3maN » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:32 am

peterswa wrote:but I find it easier to see and control at standing height.

Sweet, thanks for that info, much appreciated. That was my thought as well.
juic3maN

Postby Powersof10 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:04 pm

Following up on the above:

how much RAM does one need on a tablet or laptop to work without the system being slow or running risk of freezing etc?

My PC which has 16GB of RAM patches tend to be complex, use dual amps, stack a bunch of effects, also use reverb/delay, post processing in AT Max. So I'm wondering if a laptop with 8GB would be able to handle?

Signal chain I had in mind to try: strat -> stomp i/o -> windows tablet/laptop -> FRFR speaker

Thanks!
Powersof10

Postby juic3maN » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:12 pm

Powersof10 wrote:how much RAM does one need on a tablet or laptop to work without the system being slow or running risk of freezing etc?

My PC which has 16GB of RAM patches tend to be complex, use dual amps, stack a bunch of effects, also use reverb/delay, post processing in AT Max. So I'm wondering if a laptop with 8GB would be able to handle?

I bought a Surface Pro 7 - i5, 8GB, and as long as it's plugged in and set to max performance, it seems to cope fine (using the Stomp board).

However, I've had Amplitube 5 lock up a few times when using it live with this setup (several different tablets/laptops), so I just bought a Helix Floor for live use. Not had any issues with the home PC, so I don't know what was causing it.
juic3maN

Postby Powersof10 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:12 pm

juic3maN wrote:
Powersof10 wrote:how much RAM does one need on a tablet or laptop to work without the system being slow or running risk of freezing etc?

I bought a Surface Pro 7 - i5, 8GB, and as long as it's plugged in and set to max performance, it seems to cope fine (using the Stomp board).

However, I've had Amplitube 5 lock up a few times when using it live with this setup (several different tablets/laptops), so I just bought a Helix Floor for live use. Not had any issues with the home PC, so I don't know what was causing it.

Hmmm, that's precisely what I am fearing... that's not good, must have been pretty frustrating. Probably RAM related!

Helix floor is not comparable to AT5 Max though right? AT5 Max a lot more sound/features?
Powersof10

Postby juic3maN » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:27 am

Powersof10 wrote:Hmmm, that's precisely what I am fearing... that's not good, must have been pretty frustrating. Probably RAM related!

Nope, plenty of spare RAM, and happened with a 16GB machine as well.

Helix floor is not comparable to AT5 Max though right? AT5 Max a lot more sound/features?

They're quite different (especially the interface, where I like the Amplitube 5 UI more, but I've used it for a year, so I'm probably just used to it), but no, you can get an amazing array of sounds out of them both. Each will do things the other doesn't do as well. But the Helix was designed for live, and it shows when using them both that way. Helix and Kemper both have massive communities and subsequent numbers of third-party vendors, and instructors on Youtube, so that's massively helpful as well.
juic3maN

Postby Powersof10 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:20 pm

I've had a new idea: instead of getting a laptop, I can just get a portable monitor to hook up to my small PC desktop. I'm confused though as to where my audio interface would fit into this. Is the chain then like:

guitar -> irig -> UAD apollo interface -> desktop + portable monitor -> PA speakers?

or can I bypass the UAD apollo and just do:

guitar -> irig -> desktop + portable monitor -> PA speakers?

I'm thinking that keeping my small PC desktop in the chain would reduce the risk of having cutouts or other mystery issues that others have had with laptops.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Powersof10

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling