Tonex Pedal Help

Forum for ToneNET - AmpliTube TONEX and AmpliTube 5’s preset sharing community.
Together we rock nonstop

Tonex Pedal Help

Postby sshaheen041 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:42 am

Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting my Tonex pedal to sound the same as the Tonex app. I have my presets dialed in on the app and they sound perfect. After I drag the exact same presets into the pedal they sound dirtier and are not as pure as they are on the app. Is this a common problem?
sshaheen041
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:11 pm

Re: Tonex Pedal Help

Postby michaelapk » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:58 pm

I've had this issue as have a number of others posting here and on FB.

First, you need to make sure that you switch the pedal back and forth between interface and live modes. In live mode, the pedal ends up mixing the signals coming back from the software with the signal coming through the pedal - so you hear both. When playing the software, you want it in interface mode. When auditioning the pedal, out it in live mode. This toggling is something you ought to be able to do from software which would improve workflow a lot.

Second, I've never been able to get what audibly sounds like a perfect match. You can get lose but there is always some difference that needs to be dialed out on the pedal itself. Trying to match things using the input trim on the pedal and the input trim/gain on the software gets you a lot closer. Similarly, matching the output levels can make a difference too. Different gains going in will make the tone models perform differently. Different loudnesses coming out will also make the tones sound different even if they are otherwise identical.

If you are hearing big differences, it is most likely the device mode (interface vs live) and next most likely, an issue with different input trims.

It can be an exercise in frustration and my workflow has shifted to doing the adjustments on the pedal once I do a rough audition in the software - a real pain. IK needs to release a real editor similar to what I have with my other pedals. It would make the pedal immensely more practical to use.
michaelapk
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:05 am

Re: Tonex Pedal Help

Postby davidaustin777 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:42 pm

Have you tried to adjust the INPUT TRIM on the pedal?
davidaustin777
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:42 am

Re: Tonex Pedal Help

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:56 pm

This video and another Jason Sadites video before it may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FaQM5mIHFQ
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
User avatar
Peter_IK
Kingpin
 
Posts: 19646
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: Tonex Pedal Help

Postby sshaheen041 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:29 pm

davidaustin777 wrote:Have you tried to adjust the INPUT TRIM on the pedal?


I left the input trim the same on the pedal and matched it on the software. It's very difficult because the software clips way sooner than the pedal does. I had to raise the input level on the software a much as humanly possible without it clipping then redial in all my tones that way. It's still not an exact match but it's much closer. I also learned I needed to level all of my presets using the output on the software rather than the volume since adjusting the volume can sometimes drastically change the way it sounds.
sshaheen041
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:11 pm

Re: Tonex Pedal Help

Postby sshaheen041 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:34 pm

michaelapk wrote:I've had this issue as have a number of others posting here and on FB.

First, you need to make sure that you switch the pedal back and forth between interface and live modes. In live mode, the pedal ends up mixing the signals coming back from the software with the signal coming through the pedal - so you hear both. When playing the software, you want it in interface mode. When auditioning the pedal, out it in live mode. This toggling is something you ought to be able to do from software which would improve workflow a lot.

Second, I've never been able to get what audibly sounds like a perfect match. You can get lose but there is always some difference that needs to be dialed out on the pedal itself. Trying to match things using the input trim on the pedal and the input trim/gain on the software gets you a lot closer. Similarly, matching the output levels can make a difference too. Different gains going in will make the tone models perform differently. Different loudnesses coming out will also make the tones sound different even if they are otherwise identical.

If you are hearing big differences, it is most likely the device mode (interface vs live) and next most likely, an issue with different input trims.

It can be an exercise in frustration and my workflow has shifted to doing the adjustments on the pedal once I do a rough audition in the software - a real pain. IK needs to release a real editor similar to what I have with my other pedals. It would make the pedal immensely more practical to use.


This helps, I found the software clips way sooner than the pedal does. It is definitely frustrating to have to adjust a tone on the software, then load it up on the pedal, play it through the pedal to see how it sounds. Then adjust more on the software, load it up again on the pedal to test it. I wish they would set it up so I could just hear how the pedal sounds while I'm adjusting. I can click through the menus and adjust it using the pedal itself but it's much more convenient to just use the software. Hopefully this will be a future update.
sshaheen041
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:11 pm

Re: Tonex Pedal Help

Postby sshaheen041 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:54 pm

Peter_IK wrote:This video and another Jason Sadites video before it may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FaQM5mIHFQ


Thanks! This video helps. It's a pain matching the inputs between the software and pedal. Once they are accurately matched the tones are very similar. I still seem to get better tones from the software over the pedal but I'm able to get them much closer now.
sshaheen041
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:11 pm


Return to ToneNET preset sharing community