Big difference in preset sounds between software & hardware

Forum for ToneNET - AmpliTube TONEX and AmpliTube 5’s preset sharing community.
Together we rock nonstop

Big difference in preset sounds between software & hardware

Postby michaelapk » Thu May 18, 2023 4:58 pm

Just received my Tonex pedal and still on the steep part of the learning curve. The problem I am trying to sort out is a big difference between sounds from software presets using the ToneX app vs the sound using same preset on the pedal. The difference is dissappointing.

I've been exploring some of the ToneNet presets using the ToneX application in Windows. Lots of good sounds to explore/use.

Signal chain is HSS strat into a DI box with the thru going to the Tonex pedal and the XLR going to my MOTU M4 interface (channel 2 mic input) which is the input into the Tonex software.

Output of the Tonex pedal goes to the line in on the M4 through a Behringer mixer.

I can audition presets in the software and then upload them to the pedal. After that, I can compare the sound of the hardware with the sound of the software ToneX app using the exact same presets. The sound from the pedal is much more lifeless and isn't even close to what I hear on the PC.

I've taken time to adjust/balance gains, eliminate any EQ or compression from signal paths. I'm at a loss for what might be going on. I've verified that the DI box isn't coloring things because I get similar sounds if I compare the XLR and through outputs from the DI as inputs into my mixer. I can't tell if the MOTU M4 is somehow coloring things but I don't think it is.

The problem is even worse when I put the pedal in the effects loop for a boss GT-10 multi-fx pedal but I won't even get started with that given the additional range of unknowns.

Anyone have a solution?
michaelapk

Re: Big difference in preset sounds between software & hardw

Postby torryc » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:31 am

Take the Behringer mixer out of the equation. Go directly into the Motu. Is there any improvement? Are you going mono in, or stereo from the ToneX? (Could be that you are hearing stereo in the audition files, and if running mono, it's sounding flat in comparision.)

What about with a good set of headphones into the ToneX? Any better?

What are you monitoring through? I don't quite understand where the mixer is in the chain. After the M4 or before?

My guess is the Behringer mixer is degrading the sound.
torryc

Return to ToneNET preset sharing community