Key to Recording With Tonex Hardware

Forum for ToneNET - AmpliTube TONEX and AmpliTube 5’s preset sharing community.
Together we rock nonstop

Key to Recording With Tonex Hardware

Postby rickisabelle » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:36 pm

Allow me to explain my situation and then present my question.

I'm a guitarist who is lucky enough to I own some extraordinary tube guitar amps and some high-end recording equipment. Up to this point, when I record my guitar. I place microphones in front of one of my tube amps. These microphones are then routed to Neve preamps, which are then routed to my Lynx Hilo A/D converters, which is then sent on to my DAW.

I think it's safe to say that most professional recording engineers in the world... would agree that, in the above recording chain, the Neve Preamps, or any high-end, transformer based preamps, really do make a significant difference in the sound of a recorded guitar. It's also safe to say that 99 percent of all iconic guitar recordings from Jimi Hendrix, to Yngwie Malmsteen to Duane Allman, to etc. were recorded through similar high-end preamps.

Yes... you can absolutely record a brilliant guitar parts with inexpensive preamps. Mackie Preamps a famous for being inexpensive and extraordinarily clean and rich Preamps.

Here's my question and why I'm confused. In all the Tonex Pedal literature and all the YouTube videos describing how to record... using the Hardware Tonex Pedal... nothing is ever mentioned about routing the outputs of the Tonex pedal directly into a users favorite "hardware" recording preamp. Many, if not most, lush recording preamps, like the Neve and Neve clones like the Vintech x73i, have low impedance input options... which would allow you to go directly from the Tonex Pedal outputs to the Neve Preamps and then onto your A/D converters of choice.

This would also allow you to record effects pedals placed "after" the Tonex Pedal not to mention it would allow a person to use hardware, analog Eq's, compressors, etc as part of the recording chain.

Is there a reason why this routing option isn't mentioned anywhere? Is this a viable routing option?
rickisabelle

Return to ToneNET preset sharing community