Sampletank 4 Editor - Honest opinion

The SampleTank Editor is provided without direct support. However this IK user forum is available for users to share questions and solutions.

Sampletank 4 Editor - Honest opinion

Postby saukar23 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:52 pm

Personally, I don't think there is much interest in this as of yet because of the basics of the program. This is not a bug report or a bitchfest, but some honest critiques.

1. ST4 Editor in it's VST form crashes a lot, even the new 4.01 version. It's reminiscent of the 1st incarnation of ST4 which was filled with fixes that need to be made, about 9 versions to be approximate. If most users can't open it, what is the use of putting in a user request based on past experiences? People need a sample editor to work or they just leave it by the wayside.

2. Resizing the GUI is a pain. f you own a larger newer screen it's fine, but if you work with smaller older screens, it will take up the entire screen with no ability to shrink it down.

3. No drag and drop really makes this no fun. We're in a day of age where most samplers have drag and drop ability as well as sample editors. Having specific folders for samples to be imported from is an archaic way of thinking.

4. Maybe the idea of making this program a VST is maybe most of the problem. If this was just a standalone app, I could understand the limitations. Possibly working from just on the standalone and getting that better may be more advantageous than working on VSTs. Some ppl may disagree with this, but it's just my personal opinion.
saukar23

Re: Sampletank 4 Editor - Honest opinion

Postby ugpfpv » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Drag and drop ... YES .
To be honest I've always just used it as stand alone (actually didn't even know there was a vst version) but yeah I figure if your really working on making your own instruments bringing samples in why would you want other stuff open that could possibly crash when there's no need for them to be open...
I've got a process down using sound forge and then running the samples though a utility I programed so that all the samples will be named correctly for input into the editor, it's extra step which we really shouldn't have to go through, but it works takes all the tedious renaming of samples out...
Setting loop points is one of the biggest pains
ugpfpv

Re: Sampletank 4 Editor - Honest opinion

Postby DavidR1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:10 pm

ugpfpv wrote:I didn’t actually know there was a vst version

Interestingly when I set up version 4.0.1 the software asks you to place the VST2 and 3 files in their appropriate place. I did this.

On opening Cubase I was able to import the two vstis through ARA.

The problem is all 8 get is the white screen of death. Basically I can’t do anything with the plugins.

Which makes me wonder why is it there in the first place.

(I shortened and amended the tense of your quote)
David

HP Envy
16 gb Ram
HD 2tb
i7 quad core 4770u cpu 3.4 ghz (cores disabled as per Cubase management system)
64 bit windows 8.1
external soundcard UR44 (Steinberg) Yamaha drive Asio 2 compliant
DVD R/RW
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660
DavidR1

Return to SampleTank 4 Editor