Uno Drum to UA Volt 4 audio interface (MIDI)

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Uno Drum to UA Volt 4 audio interface (MIDI)

Postby DaffyJustDaffy » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:22 pm

Hopefully this is the right place for asking this.

I've recently bought a Uno Drum and now trying to connect to Universal Audio Volt 4 audio interface. I'm using the Uno Drum supplied 2.5mm jack to 5 pin DIN. Also using a straight through male to male 5 pin DIN, 0.5M long to connect as both UNO Drum and Volt 4 have female 5 pin DINs.

The Volt 4 is connected to my PC and I'm using headphones on the Vault 4. Guitar, mic and Synth all work fine through the Volt 4, although not putting any of those through the Volt 4 MIDI connectors.

I've read the Uno Drum instruction manual for "MIDI implementation" but can't get it to work. Any help or tips would be really appreciated as this is driving me nuts!

P.S.I searched the forums for Volt" to see if there was already anything . . . . there isn't.

Thanks in anticipation :D
DaffyJustDaffy

Re: Uno Drum to UA Volt 4 audio interface (MIDI)

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:21 pm

Where are you running the UNO Drum audio outputs? You need to route those to your audio interface since MIDI data does not pass any audio, only MIDI messages.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby DaffyJustDaffy » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:23 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Where are you running the UNO Drum audio outputs? You need to route those to your audio interface since MIDI data does not pass any audio, only MIDI messages.

Hi Peter
I'm trying to run from the Uno MIDI sockets (2.5mm jack sockets) on the UNO rear panel, routed into the MIDI sockets on the Volt4. But those aren't working.

You did make me think though and just tried running from the audio out on the Uno to one of the Volt4 audio sockets, and that worked OK.

But would still like to get the UNO MIDI to Volt4 MIDI working.

Thanks
DaffyJustDaffy

Postby DaffyJustDaffy » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:51 pm

Peter_IK wrote:MIDI data does not pass any audio

Just realised what I was doing wrong. And now all sorted. Think I need to read up more on MIDI.

:oops:
DaffyJustDaffy

Postby DaffyJustDaffy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:49 am

Peter_IK wrote:MIDI data does not pass any audio, only MIDI messages

Forgot to say thanks Peter. That one line, the penny dropped, I had completely misunderstood what MIDI does. Now read up more than I had on what MIDI is and does.

Thanks again.
DaffyJustDaffy

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth