Uno Drum Kick decay issue?

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Uno Drum Kick decay issue?

Postby arparp » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:00 pm

Hi,

I just bought a used Uno Drum and wondered if what I'm getting is normal. Running fw 1.0.3.

When either kick is on any sample, shortening the decay introduces noise/distortion at end and creates a kind of flanging effect as I turn the decay down, rising in pitch as it gets shorter.

Seems different on the kicks (get a bit of noise on toms but no flange sound) and not at all on analogue sounds. It is most clearly heard on headphones (plugged in directly or via a mixer). This is all with drive and comp set to zero. Tried different cables and power too.

Is mine broken? Or is this normal?
arparp

Re: Uno Drum Kick decay issue?

Postby Nedreud » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:09 pm

I think we may have been recently discussing this issue over on https://gearspace.com/board/electronic- ... st16844772, but I do get the same behaviour and it isn't only on the kicks, but is more noticeable on lower frequency sounds.

Yes, I get the same artifacts. Suspect this happens on all shortened PCM sounds, but how much you hear it depends on the general character of the sample. Generally, the lower the frequency, the more obvious the artifact. For example, TOM1 on PCM4 with TUNE set to 0, has an obvious "crackle" at the end as soon as DECAY is reduced to 126. The pitch of this "crackle" increases as the DECAY is shortened until around a value of 20 where it starts to become part of the overall (and very short) sound.

I suspect this is some 12-bit aliasing as the sample playback is shortened, maybe because a rapid decay is applied at the end rather than an instant cut-off as that could lead to a nasty "click" if the final few bits were non-zero. My thinking here is that the DELAY shortening of a sample is digitally-calculated during playback rather than analog-controlled in the amplifier.
Nedreud

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth