how to connect my Uno synth to my MacBook?

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

how to connect my Uno synth to my MacBook?

Postby BillyAkinbredal32 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:33 pm

Hi
My 6 year old kid is obsessed with sound and music. Like, he’s home from school today and staying occupied by listening to various alarm tones on YouTube. Lol.

I bought him the uno synth and got it hooked up to play thru our home speakers last year. I now have a MacBook and want to hook it up so he can record the sounds he makes! I can’t figure it out though and don’t even know who to ask. I’m thinking I should be able to hook it up to use with garage band, right?

I tried using the usb cable, but garage band doesn’t recognize a midi device. The midi cables that came with it don’t connect to the laptop and I’m not sure what connectors I need.

Can someone here give me some tips or point me in the right direction? Thank you!!
BillyAkinbredal32

Re: how to connect my Uno synth to my MacBook?

Postby DarkStar » Wed May 25, 2022 1:52 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I would have thought that GarageBand should detect the synth, connected using the supplied Micro USB to USB-A cable. But, you would be seeing it as an audio device, so you can record the audio from the UNO synth.

As this is primarily a user to user forum, not official Technical Support, other users may chip in.

Meanwhile, the best thing to do is Search the FAQs first, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a red button link to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help. Response time aims to be within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the problem. Please do not quote directly any correspondence from Support, as that may apply only to your particular circumstances and may lead others down the wrong track.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Peter_IK » Wed May 25, 2022 4:24 pm

UNO Synth's outputs would need to be connected to an audio interface in order to hear and record its sounds in GarageBand as it is an analog synth.

UNO Synth does not generate sound transmitted over USB.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby DarkStar » Wed May 25, 2022 5:09 pm

:oops:, my mistake. Sorry

So the USB connection is for power and MIDI from the computer?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Peter_IK » Wed May 25, 2022 5:29 pm

DarkStar wrote::oops:, my mistake. Sorry

So the USB connection is for power and MIDI from the computer?

No problem, it is a common thing and great to clear it up. Since our products span a lot of different areas of music and audio tools, it isn't surprising that one might think UNO Synth was also a "soft synth" in some way too. The Editor helps bridge the gap between computer and analog synth but UNO Synth remains at its core a great little analog synth :)
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth