MIDI from stage piano causes UNO Synth Pro to reboot!?

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

MIDI from stage piano causes UNO Synth Pro to reboot!?

Postby j4mminit » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:33 pm

Howdy, having a really weird problem with my new Uno Synth Pro, when connected to my (also new) Casio PX 560 stage piano as a controller. (Piano MIDI out to Uno MIDI in.)

Things seem to work as expected, unless I click one of the "registration" buttons on the piano... which switches to not just another voice, but a full preset (all four voices, any splits/layering, effects settings, and so on).

I would expect the Uno to pretty much ignore all of that, and that would be fine. The problem is that pressing any of them causes the Uno to immediately REBOOT (which of course means going through the whole calibration routine, too.)

That was definitely *not* expected. Doesn't happen when just changing voices, or starting/stopping rhythms, changing tempos, working mod/pitch wheels, turning assignable knobs, or anything else I can think of. And of course it doesn't happen if I'm doing the opposite... going from the MIDI out of the Uno to the MIDI in of the piano, to run a sequence on it or whatever. (Didn't expect it would, just being thorough.)

I haven't yet tried to capture what the piano is sending out with those button pushes that is putting the Uno in such a tizzy, but in the meantime has anybody run into or dealt with such a thing? The Uno Synth Pro responding to an incoming MIDI message with a full reboot cycle?

Thanks!
j4mminit

Re: MIDI from stage piano causes UNO Synth Pro to reboot!?

Postby j4mminit » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:06 am

Looked through the MIDI implementation manual... anything remotely resembling "start over" or control of the machine... such as "reset"... it says it doesn't recognize or respond to.

FWIW, I've updated the firmware to the latest available on both... still does it.
j4mminit

Postby DarkStar » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:28 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I am sorry to hear about the problems you are running into.

As this is primarily a user to user forum, not official Technical Support, other users may chip in. But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.

Meanwhile, the best thing to do is Search the FAQs first, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a red button link to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help. Response time aims to be within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the problem. Please do not quote directly any correspondence from Support, as that may apply only to your particular circumstances and may lead others down the wrong track.
----------------------
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby j4mminit » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:05 pm

Thank you!

I had tried to search the FAQs already (finding it somewhat annoying that if your search finds no results, it forces you to re-select your categories all over again), didn't find anything there. Was/am planning to contact support, but wanted to capture the actual MIDI messages coming from the piano first, thought I'd ask in here in the meantime. (In case it were perhaps a "known thing" others had experienced before, with an easy solution.)

I posted much the same thing in the Casio forum for the PX 560 as well, slightly tweaked for the audience. (They know what the 560 is, might not know the Uno Pro. And vice versa here.) Same idea behind it... will of course contact their support after I've gathered more data, just tapping the community knowledge base in the meantime.

To get those messages I need to haul the thing from another room and hook it up to my main studio workstation... which I'm finally going to have an opportunity to do in a few minutes here.

Thanks again. 8-)

Oh... and speaking of FAQ, the entry for "Can I power my UNO Synth or UNO Drum via a powerbrick or mobile device charger?" could use updating... no mention of UNO Synth Pro, which I'm pretty sure requires more than 550mA. (The background squeal at 700, 850 and 1000mA is pretty awful. Everything I've tried higher than that... 1.5A and up... seems fine for the desktop version.)
j4mminit

Postby j4mminit » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:51 pm

I've done that capture from the Casio... playing notes, changing voices, operating pitch/mod wheels, and turning knobs all look completely normal.

While pressing a "registration" (preset) button results in 77 control change messages. 8 on one channel, and 23 of them for each of 3 more channels.

Pressing the special one for "grand piano" is a flood. 16 on one channel, 6 on each of 8 more channels, and 23 on each of 4 more channels. That's... 156 control change messages? Wow.

I have all of them condensed down into a table, will have that ready for support when I talk to them. (Both parties!)
j4mminit

Postby Huddy_IK » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:26 pm

Your issue was reported to our Support team. I understand a ticket was located and some suggestions have been made to resolve these concerns.

Please refer to your Support ticket and let us know when you are sorted!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Huddy_IK

Postby j4mminit » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:31 pm

It was, and I did get a suggestion about two hours ago, thank you!

Just now got a chance to try it out, and send a reply. I'll repeat a summary of the important bits here:

Yes, the suggestion worked, no more unexpected reboot! Some settings for the current patch do get changed, but that is to be expected given the messages it is receiving, and easy enough to work around. (Change to another patch, then change back.)

FWIW to anyone reading, the suggestion was to turn off MIDI Soft Thru. And it worked for my particular scenario.

Thanks again!
j4mminit

Postby Huddy_IK » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:47 pm

Great, thanks for the update and good news! :D

We hope you enjoy the UNO Synth Pro!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Huddy_IK

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth