No sound from Uno Synth Pro desktop

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

No sound from Uno Synth Pro desktop

Postby nickrog1@sky.com » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:47 am

Hi All. I'm a newbie to synths, so please forgive any stupid questions. I have no sound from my Uno Synth Pro and it's driving me nuts. I have a MacBook Pro with just USB-C inputs (4). I'm using GarageBand as my DAW. Can any kind person give me a clear understanding of the connection I will need between the Uno Synth Pro (desktop) and the MacBook Pro? At the moment, I have power via USB connection and have purchased a Otraki Midi cable interface which terminates with two midi connectors and USB-C on the computer end.
No sound at all. Blurb says it's plug and play!
HELP!!!!
nickrog1@sky.com

Re: No sound from Uno Synth Pro desktop

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:09 pm

UNO Synth Pro is an analog synth so you need to connect its audio outputs to your audio interface to get the signal into your computer. As with typical analog synths it does not transmit audio over USB.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby nickrog1@sky.com » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. I see many users with midi connections from the Uno Synth Pro. What type of interface do I need to get MIDI signals into the MacBook Pro?
nickrog1@sky.com

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:05 pm

Many audio interfaces also have MIDI connectivity or you could get a dedicated MIDI interface for your computer. However, I just want to make 100% sure that you know that would not send any audio into your computer as MIDI is not audio data.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby nickrog1@sky.com » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:44 pm

Thanks Peter. I really appreciate your help and you can tell I don’t have a lot of knowledge yet in this area. No, I didn’t know that midi wasn’t for sending sound, but that helps me to understand my problem. I have sound via Irig 2 HD and a guitar lead but that didn’t seem a very elegant solution. I’ll explore interfaces again. Can you recommend a suitable solution via an IK interface as I’d like to keep things IK if possible. Many thanks.
nickrog1@sky.com

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:53 am

Glad to help! Yes, I could tell and I hope I can keep pointing you in the right direction. I have been lucky to have been brought up through the completely analog through the transition to digital happening basically during my music school days and having cut my teeth through the fun days where it all kind of blended together.

Anyway, now we're here in this more digital age and keeping the analog spirit alive while blending it all together and reaping the benefits of not having to use razor blades to make edits etc (unless we want to!), etc. So you do have to get the analog gear's signal into your computer. It's not hard to grasp or to do once you get through some of the roadblocks.

For interfaces, IK's multi-channel interfaces would work best. I know we have the iRig Pro Duo I/O which will work with your computer even though it is also a great mobile interface, but I prefer our AXE I/O. It may have guitar-centric features but it is also a great 2 in / 5 out interface for general recording. And if you plan on doing any guitar work, I wouldn't recommend anything else (except the AXE I/O Solo which has fewer outputs but still should suit your needs, with a lower price tag).

I have two AXE I/O interfaces and love them even though I also have 3 Steinberg interfaces daisychained for 24 channels of analog input/output in the main home studio. It's that good.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby nickrog1@sky.com » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:59 am

That’s so helpful Peter. I appreciate your time. I’m going to have a look at the axe I/o as my main forte is guitar. I’ve just got to get it past my wife! All the best. Nick R
nickrog1@sky.com

Postby DarkStar » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:28 pm

DIsclaimer: I think that I have got this right ;)

This may help with getting the wiring sorted out:

AUDIO:
-- audio from the UNO Synth line outputs goes to the AXE I/O main inputs (red lines)
-- if you set Direct Monitoring on the AXE I/O then that audio will be routed out to your monitors (orange lines),
-- in the AXE I/O it will also be routed via the USB port to the MacBook USB_C (and thence GarageBand) (blue line)
-- you will need, I think, to get the appropriate cable separately,
-- audio from GarageBand arrives on the USB port and is routed to the monitors.

MIDI:
-- MIDI from the UNO Synth goes via the USB2-micro port to the MacBook USB-C (and thence GarageBand) (blue line)
-- you will need, I think, to get the appropriate cable separately,
-- MIDI from GarageBand arrives on the UNO Synth Pro's USB2-micro port and is routed to the synth.

Note that this will use two of the USB-C ports on the MacBook: one for MIDI and one for audio.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby nickrog1@sky.com » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:56 pm

Superb. Just what I needed. Thanks Peter and Darkstar. All the best.
nickrog1@sky.com

Postby nickrog1@sky.com » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:20 pm

Just purchased the axe I/O and looking forward to trying it out.
nickrog1@sky.com

Postby Renansur1 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:22 pm

Thanks for the answers, it helped me a lot
Renansur1

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth