Uno syn pro noise oscillator wont turn down

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Uno syn pro noise oscillator wont turn down

Postby thebarrysnyder » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:04 am

So if you turn the noise oscillator all the way up on a patch, then there’s a high pitch noise sound that is a white noise type of sound but it isn’t controlled by the filter or the main volume knob. Meaning if I have the isolator for noise turned all the way up and I turn the master volume down I’ll still get a high pitch noise but if I turn the master volume to maybe 80% it will reducing volume to almost nothing. So I’m not sure what’s going on at all because like I said if I turn the filter down all the way to zero so no sound passes through I’ll still get the high pitch white noise sound from the noise oscillator being turned up to the maximum. I’m not sure if this is a firmware thing that can be fixed or what or if I just need to deal with it I can make patches that work with the noise mixTurned all the way to 100% and then just use the master volume at 80 and that seems to do the trick but not ideal especially when bouncing through patches and stuff. Anyways let me know if this is something anybody else runs into her give it a shot it seems to work on any factory patch or ones that I’ve made myself. Thanks
thebarrysnyder

Re: Uno syn pro noise oscillator wont turn down

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:34 pm

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. I'm not sure what would cause this but the IK Support team would be happy to provide direct and official technical support to help resolve your issue. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Bergfotron » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:57 pm

Have you tried powering the Uno from a separate power adapter? For me, this solved problems like the one you mention.
Bergfotron

Postby thebarrysnyder » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:27 pm

No i havent. I will try it on the battery pack that came with and see if that does it. Good idea though kinda a bummer if thats what has to happen.
thebarrysnyder

Postby thebarrysnyder » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:40 pm

No change for the battery or the power adapter.
thebarrysnyder

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:42 pm

There were also reports of folks who weren't using balanced cables getting odd noise issues which disappeared when they switched to balanced cables on the balanced outs.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Bergfotron » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:56 pm

Make sure the power adapter can deliver the required current (minimum 1.5 ampère).
Bergfotron

Postby Bergfotron » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:00 pm

Peter_IK wrote:There were also reports of folks who weren't using balanced cables getting odd noise issues which disappeared when they switched to balanced cables on the balanced outs.

I don't use balanced cables but have no noise or sound quality issues.
However, I use DIN MIDI. If you use USB MIDI, try unplugging the USB cable and check if the noise goes away.
Bergfotron

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:13 pm

Bergfotron wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:There were also reports of folks who weren't using balanced cables getting odd noise issues which disappeared when they switched to balanced cables on the balanced outs.

I don't use balanced cables but have no noise or sound quality issues.
However, I use DIN MIDI. If you use USB MIDI, try unplugging the USB cable and check if the noise goes away.

While I recommend balanced cables when you have balanced out (or in), your suggestion is definitely good. Especially because noise when using bus power via USB is a big issue/bane in all audio for sure! One should always avoid connecting to your computer via USB for power whenever possible.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby thebarrysnyder » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:16 pm

Using balanced cables. This only happens with the noise ociator mix cranked to 100% so its not like its always noisy or anything. I was using the supplied power so I assume thay provides the proper power. And i was not using midi i was just using uno synth by itself without a daw. Just doin sound design.

Try this on your uno synth pro - go to a empty patch. Turn down the mix on oscillator one, then put the mix of the noise ocillator up to 100 then slowly move the master volume from zero to 100. For me the noise is there and changes a bit then dies out at 85 then comes slowly back as i go to volume 100
thebarrysnyder

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:38 pm

Sounds like this is a matter for official IK Support to handle at this point, I'm sure they can help you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Bergfotron » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:59 pm

thebarrysnyder wrote:Try this on your uno synth pro - go to a empty patch. Turn down the mix on oscillator one, then put the mix of the noise ocillator up to 100 then slowly move the master volume from zero to 100. For me the noise is there and changes a bit then dies out at 85 then comes slowly back as i go to volume 100

I tried exactly the above and I can hear no noise, whatsoever, even if I crank up the level on the mixer to insane levels.
Does it make a difference if you perform a Calibrate and then try again?
Bergfotron

Postby thebarrysnyder » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:19 pm

I tried support havent heard back yet, it does the calibration every time i start it so im not sure if that will work but ill give it a shot
thebarrysnyder

Postby thebarrysnyder » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:36 pm

Just tried the calibration didnt it. Side note. I keep calling it a noise oscillator but is that the correct term for a noise component of a synth?
thebarrysnyder

Postby Bergfotron » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:41 pm

thebarrysnyder wrote:Just tried the calibration didnt it. Side note. I keep calling it a noise oscillator but is that the correct term for a noise component of a synth?

You can call it that and we will understand, but I suppose the correct term is "noise source".
It does seem like there is something wrong with your unit. Support will hopefully have you sorted.
Bergfotron

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth