Recording Uno Drum Stutter Output

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Recording Uno Drum Stutter Output

Postby Raimondsgr01 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:31 pm

Dear All,

I have read all the documentation and watched all the videos online, but need additional assistance from somebody who has an actual unit. I have discovered that the stutter midi effect cannot be recorded with the internal sequencer. But since it is still a midi effect, can its output be captured with external midi sequencer? I would like to record entire performance including the stutter variations as midi data in my DAW, afterwards being able to make detailed edits, if necessary. I would also like to use Uno Drum's generated midi data for sequencing external gear.

Best regards,
Ray
Raimondsgr01

Re: Recording Uno Drum Stutter Output

Postby mungewell » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:27 am

Totally a non-official answer, but in my reverse engineering of the UNO Drum I discovered that the patch format includes the ability to have a drum trigger multiple time within on step.
https://github.com/mungewell/uno-drum-u ... -772237395

Code: Select all
00 or 01 - no repeat
02 or 03 - double repeat, fast
04 - no repeat
05 - double repeat, slower
06 - no repeat
07 or 08 - double repeat, much slower
09 - no repeat
0a - triple repeat, fast
0b - quad repeat, uneven
0c - triple repeat
0d, 0e or 0f - no repeat

A few of the factory patches use this, but I don't know how/why they do. I can't give a easy way to record this feature into the pattern using the device or with official app.

What you could do is download the pattern via SysEx, hand edit the pattern and re-upload via SysEx.
Simon.
mungewell

Re: Recording Uno Drum Stutter Output

Postby Raimondsgr01 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:13 pm

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your reply and for the job you do for the Uno community. I have visited your blog, and I think IK Multimedia should probably hire you.

Speaking about your post, I think you describe the roll effect, which can actually be recoded with the internal sequencer. I guess key difference is that roll effect concerns only selected element, while stutter changes multiple elements, involving more complex patterns and variable amount.

Importing patterns via SysEx would be beyond my needs. It would be good enough, if stutter output is transmitted through midi out. I can press the stutter button in real time to sequence external gear or record to external sequencer. This question is not trivial for me, because I would like to use Uno Drum as random MIDI pattern generator for fills etc. If you have the unit at hand, would it be possible for you to test how it works?

Best regards,
Ray
Raimondsgr01

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth