Question about midi

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Question about midi

Postby mikante » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi,
I'm Andrea and I'm new to this forum.
i come from Italy.
I'm really looking forward to buy a Uno drum unit, but I need some information first.
I would use it to gig and I'm a guitarist.
I'd like to know if it is possible to assign commands to a midi device to control some of the features of this machine, more precisely, changing patterns with my foot, like those beatbox do.
Is it possible? do I need a special midi device or any midi controller will work?
I hope you can help,
thank you.
Andrea.
mikante

Re: Question about midi

Postby mungewell » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:31 pm

There is some MIDI implementation information in the manual
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/u ... ?p=manuals

I don't have one either, but it looks like the Program Change message changes the kit that is in use, NOT the pattern (ie sequence of notes/hits). It may be possible to change the pattern via a different MIDI message (possibly SysEx).
7.12 – Program Change
On the drum machine, KITs are recalled by MIDI Program Change. Program Change 0 will recall KIT 1 (for consistency with UNO Synth).

Re-sending the appropriate messages; this could be achieved with a MorningStar MC6 (or similar) connected via 5pin adapter.

There are also DIY solutions, if you are looking for minimal cost...
mungewell

Postby mikante » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:50 pm

Thank you,
It would be nice to be able to assign commands as "play, pattern, stop," in order to use it live while you Re playing a different instrument.
You could build a song through different patterns and then call them on the fly by using a midi stomp device.
I ll take a look at the manual.
mikante

Postby mungewell » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:11 pm

Sure, lots of things would be nice ;-)

Play/Stop would normally be handled by MIDI MMC (effectively pre-canned SysEx). I don't know if UNO Drum receives MMC, manual mentions that it sends Start/Stop.
UNO will automatically transmit MIDI Beat Clock and sequence start/stop messages from its MIDI Out to allow the synching of two or more UNO units simply by patching the MIDI Out from the master unit to the MIDI in of the slave unit.

I did a lot of poking around with UNO Synth, and it's likely some of it's SysEx would be the same. You could try....
Code: Select all
CMD 0x33: Switch to preset 100 (ie 100 -> 0x64)

$ amidi -p hw:1,0,0 -S 'f0 00 21 1a 02 02 33 64 f7'
mungewell

Postby mikante » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Thank you,
Too complicated for me.
mikante

Postby Fairground » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:46 am

I think this may be simpler than answered above. The UNO has CC commands already Assigned as you can see from the manual page 40 that shows the effect of each program change code. Eg. CC#123 is all notes off.

You just need a controller that you can assign CC #'s to - eg a foot switch that you can change the codes, plug into the UNO Drum and away you go...

M
Fairground

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth