List of recomended power adapters

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

List of recomended power adapters

Postby lazyman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi,

I have both Uno Synth and Uno Drum. I have noticed these are both sensitive to power supply, Uno Drum even more than synth.

Uno Drum has nasty tendency to stay "stucked" if underpowered even for fraction of the second. Idle power draw is about 700ma, but only adapter that works reliably is my Huawei Phone charger, with 2000ma capacity.
I think would be good to compile list of good and also not noisy PSUs, also if IkMultimedia could create official wall plug this would be Very nice
lazyman

Re: List of recomended power adapters

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:26 pm

Hi, there is no specific PSU recommended since any phone charger should do for the power requirements of UNO Drum (and UNO Synth). Yes, UNO Drum is a bit higher than UNO Synth (at around 750mA at max) but that should be covered by any phone charger.

However, not every computer port will provide the proper power level and computer USB ports are more likely to introduce bus noise. If a phone charger introduces noise, the issue may also be with the mains power into which the charger is plugged and in that case I'd recommend reading the noise section of the UNO Drum (or UNO Synth) Specs page or looking into a hum eliminator like Ebtech and other companies offer.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby albertpauw » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:51 am

Some, cheap, power adapters seem to dip the voltage a bit when drawing more than a few 100 mA of power (i.e. 700+ of the UNO Drum).

When the voltage drops below the 5 V, the device may freeze as it has not enough voltage for all electronic components.

This may also be part of what you see, a power adapter that can deliver more than enough power usually doesn't have this voltage dip when delivering higher power.

Just my two cents,
Albert
albertpauw

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:55 pm

albertpauw wrote:Some, cheap, power adapters seem to dip the voltage a bit when drawing more than a few 100 mA of power (i.e. 700+ of the UNO Drum).

When the voltage drops below the 5 V, the device may freeze as it has not enough voltage for all electronic components.

This may also be part of what you see, a power adapter that can deliver more than enough power usually doesn't have this voltage dip when delivering higher power.

Just my two cents,
Albert

Thank you, I should amend my comment above to make it "any quality phone charger should work" then, I see.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby lazyman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:40 pm

Peter, is it ok to run Uno Synth or Drum on 7V ?
lazyman

Postby rooblesR9 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:15 am

i know this is an old post, but i had a strange experience which i am blaming on a low power supply from an older usb2 port on an imac.
bascially while running the sample updates the first time i did worked fine,
but the next (and consequent attempts) basically bugged out and made all pcm samples on the machine unavailable presenting an 'err'

i swapped to a more modern laptop and everything was fine again.

also i found running it from an inadequate supply (not the imac) caused the button leds to behave very wrong. basically random ones were lit and while the buttons seemed to work, the leds were unresponsive.
rooblesR9

Postby afh100 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:22 pm

Hi guys

Just to get this clear: does anyone have a recommended charger for the Uno drum? Like a favourite one that seems pretty solid doesn't cause any performance issues or lots of additional noise?

I've a few spare iPhone wall chargers - was wondering if those are usable?

Thanks

Alex
afh100

Postby MarcBecch87 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:40 pm

afh100 wrote:Hi guys

Just to get this clear: does anyone have a recommended charger for the Uno drum? Like a favourite one that seems pretty solid doesn't cause any performance issues or lots of additional noise?

I've a few spare iPhone wall chargers - was wondering if those are usable?

Thanks

Alex

The issue with phone chargers is that they aren't really meant to be 'clean' because they don't need to be for their intended use.

If you really want to ensure low noise, a linear PSU meant for hifi might be ideal like this topping P50: https://www.amazon.com/Topping-P50-Linear-110V-240V-Black/dp/B07VRS6PLT/ref=sr_1_3?crid=24V1OVKIZLRPE

I've also seen USB isolator products (like from ifi) but they seem to only support limited current

edit: for a typical and affordable wall wart-type switching supply this seems like a good option https://allo.com/sparky/5v-power-supply.html

edit2: this site has measurements of noise from various usb chargers (albeit, from 10 years ago) http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-u ... le-is.html Apple performs the best in the noise category.
MarcBecch87

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth