Logic X MIDI + UNO Drum

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Logic X MIDI + UNO Drum

Postby nodeps » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:02 pm

I have a few questions about using UNO Drum and Logic X.
Here's a little background info of my DAW/Interface Setup:

Physical Connections
UNO Drum -> Apollo via TRS
UNO Drum -> USB/Logic X

Logic X Configuration
UNO Drum Instrument Track
UNO Drum Audio Track (via TRS into Apollo)

Situation
After recording to MIDI and audio tracks has been completed, during playback of the song UNO Drum will always play the MIDI notes back through Apollo.This results in a audible doubling of the MIDI notes+audio track until I press the play button on UNO Drum to stop playback while logic plays my audio track.

Questions:
1. Is it possible to tell UNO Drum [as a default setting] NOT to play back MIDI when I press [re]play in Logic? Ideally I only need it to play during recording/tracking . Note: with a similar configuration (audio + MIDI tracks) in Ableton Live I have the same experience.

2. Off-Topic question; why does IK recommend only using the supplied USB cable? It's quite short. Is there a reason for this? Do you recommend any other longer cables that are especially compatible with UNO Drum?

Thank you in advance.
nodeps

Re: Logic X MIDI + UNO Drum

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:18 pm

nodeps wrote:Questions:
1. Is it possible to tell UNO Drum [as a default setting] NOT to play back MIDI when I press [re]play in Logic? Ideally I only need it to play during recording/tracking . Note: with a similar configuration (audio + MIDI tracks) in Ableton Live I have the same experience.

There are a couple of options. The ALT -> SYNC menu can be used to change the UNO Drum Clock Source to INT. This would stop Logic from controlling your unit via it's transport controls. Also, maybe I'm missing something, but If you've recorded your audio, you could just turn the volume down on your UNO Drum.
nodeps wrote:2. Off-Topic question; why does IK recommend only using the supplied USB cable? It's quite short. Is there a reason for this? Do you recommend any other longer cables that are especially compatible with UNO Drum?

Thank you in advance.

We suggest using the supplied cable as we are certain this works. Third party cables will work, the cable being used just needs to support DATA and power transfer. For a Micro USB cable this should not be too hard to find.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby nodeps » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks Ryan, I've been turning the volume down but the UNO is located far enough away from my workstation and plugged into an interface that it was just something that could have been nice to set by default.

New Question(s):
I notice that when I slave the UNO Drum via USB and play a song in Song Mode MIDI will start to slow down. This occurs in Logic, Live and Pro Tools. In Logic and Live UNO Drum will gradually increase the tempo (possibly to infinity and beyond!). In Pro Tools I have the option to send beat clock to UNO Drum or UNO Drum Editor. If I don't send beat clock it seems to be ok but that's only in Pro Tools. In Logic and Live there's no way around this issue (again, in SONG mode).

One caveat - I can get UNO Drum to record in a pretty stable state but if I use the Roll or Stutter features it will throw the sync off (again, when playing a sequence entered in UNO Drum Editor with the plugin (and therefore UNO Drum) operating in SONG mode, slaved off of USB. Is there any way around this speed increase/decrease?
nodeps

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:44 pm

nodeps wrote:Thanks Ryan, I've been turning the volume down but the UNO is located far enough away from my workstation and plugged into an interface that it was just something that could have been nice to set by default.

New Question(s):
I notice that when I slave the UNO Drum via USB and play a song in Song Mode MIDI will start to slow down. This occurs in Logic, Live and Pro Tools. In Logic and Live UNO Drum will gradually increase the tempo (possibly to infinity and beyond!). In Pro Tools I have the option to send beat clock to UNO Drum or UNO Drum Editor. If I don't send beat clock it seems to be ok but that's only in Pro Tools. In Logic and Live there's no way around this issue (again, in SONG mode).

One caveat - I can get UNO Drum to record in a pretty stable state but if I use the Roll or Stutter features it will throw the sync off (again, when playing a sequence entered in UNO Drum Editor with the plugin (and therefore UNO Drum) operating in SONG mode, slaved off of USB. Is there any way around this speed increase/decrease?

The UNO Drum Editor Settings can adjust the Clock Source. Go to settings and adjust the MIDI Sync. This might be another option for you to stop playback without reaching for the unit.

As for your new question, check your Tempo knob. When synced to a tempo you will see that you can select between 1/1, 1/2, and 1/4. Tap ALT -> Tap Tempo to lock your tempo. The Division of a Pattern can also affect tempo so make sure to check for this setting as well.

If these suggested settings adjustments don't help, please try updating your firmware and if issues persist, contact support. Tempo should not be changed unless you've changed it on the unit

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/firmware/
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby nodeps » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:09 am

Thank you I took your advice and am a few steps closer towards my goal. However I am noticing an inconsistency which I hope you can help with. When I program a song into Song Mode, as long as I remain in the session in Ableton I can reply to my hearts content making tempo adjustments etc. Saving this setting, quitting Live and restarting seems to load pre-load the song data from the previous session which is nice. However, when I play back In song mode the song played is different. It's an amalgamation of the first patter (in this case 11) and then pattern 12 which generates somewhat of a four on the floor feeling for pattern 12. Mind you this is the same song data from the previous set. Nothing has changed. How can I return to what was previously played? Loading the previous Kit does not resolve the issue.
nodeps

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:55 pm

nodeps wrote:Thank you I took your advice and am a few steps closer towards my goal. However I am noticing an inconsistency which I hope you can help with. When I program a song into Song Mode, as long as I remain in the session in Ableton I can reply to my hearts content making tempo adjustments etc. Saving this setting, quitting Live and restarting seems to load pre-load the song data from the previous session which is nice. However, when I play back In song mode the song played is different. It's an amalgamation of the first patter (in this case 11) and then pattern 12 which generates somewhat of a four on the floor feeling for pattern 12. Mind you this is the same song data from the previous set. Nothing has changed. How can I return to what was previously played? Loading the previous Kit does not resolve the issue.

I would suggest the firmware updater and if this doesn't help going to support for help here as I can't say I've experienced this. If possible, shoot me a video in a PM and I can take a closer look before you open the ticket. If you do end up opening a ticket, you can always PM me the ticket number and I can flag your case down.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth