Tones That Will Rock You - Coming Soon

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Tones That Will Rock You - Coming Soon

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:20 pm

IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Re: Tones That Will Rock You - Coming Soon

Postby bart.childers » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:04 pm

[Tried to insert a "Shut Up and take my money!" GIF.]
Didn't work.
Can't wait for this.
bart.childers

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:45 pm

bart.childers wrote:[Tried to insert a "Shut Up and take my money!" GIF.]
Didn't work.
Can't wait for this.

Here you go:

Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:50 am

This should mean that, at long last ...
TREBLE BOOSTER! :ugeek: 8-) :mrgreen:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby crysstalized » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:04 pm

And finally an updated Vox AC-30, which I am very glad for.
crysstalized

Postby dlgebert » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:58 pm

Clearly this is Queen related with the "We Will Rock You" drum beat and the Brian May guitar tone...

Finally, they must be modeling the Roland Cube... :D

I seriously hope they got a branding deal with Voxx, like they do with Fender and Orange.

I would really love a branding deal with Marshall. I have the Slash Marshall collection, but a Marshall collection like they have with Fender would be great! :D

Dave
dlgebert

Postby felipecouto75 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:21 pm

Cool, but i am waiting a Marshall Plexi for a long time.

I don´t understand why this amp was not modeled yet. Every amp sim in the market have one or two versions.
felipecouto75

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:53 pm

felipecouto75 wrote:Cool, but i am waiting a Marshall Plexi for a long time.

I don´t understand why this amp was not modeled yet. Every amp sim in the market have one or two versions.

Try the JH Gold and British Lead S100 amps in the Jimi Hendrix Anniversary Collection (which also happens to be in the Pick & Mix Group Buy :) ). I think you'll be impressed.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:15 pm

Peter_IK wrote:

Try the JH Gold and British Lead S100 amps in the Jimi Hendrix Anniversary Collection (which also happens to be in the Pick & Mix Group Buy :) ). I think you'll be impressed.

The JH Gold has been one of my favourites since it came out; I use it all the time. I changed my "Default" preset to use it so it's right there when I open Amplitube. And technically (I think! :geek: ) the JTM 45/100s are "plexis" in the sense of having had, well, plexiglass front panels.

Of course, the JH Gold models a Hendrix amp with (I believe) KT66 power tubes and various other tweaks to the circuit. So not exactly a "normal" late '60s "plexi". The British Lead S100 is rather more like (if not exactly like) a "plexi" and it is still good (and more customisable than the JH Gold in various ways), though admittedly ageing a bit. I, too, would not weep if there were a new "Brit 1959" model as an upgrade from the good ol' British Lead S100. Somewhat heretically, I would actually kind of prefer a very early '70s "metal panel"-type model :shock: because that would have a tone a bit more distinct from the current JH Gold. But, hey, the truth is that if Amplitube put out a whole raft of '60s and '70s Marshall-based or other "British"-type amp models, I would probably snap them all up. :mrgreen:

Now, of course, what I'm really looking forward to is hitting all the existing models of those types with a new treble booster model from a Queen/Brian May collection. :mrgreen:

And I'm actually pleased to think we'd get a new AC30-based model or two in a Queen/Brian May collection. For the first time in a long time, I was trying out the old (AT2-era?) "based on AC30" models when I was going through all the 12" guitar speakers a few weeks ago, and I had forgotten how good a cranked AC30 sounds -- even when it's an older digital model! 8-) A new digital model or two should be pretty cool.

Though I would still buy more Marshall-based (and Laney-based!) models as well. (Hey, aren't May and Iommi pretty good friends? If May has collaborated on a Queen collection, then maybe he could convince Tony to work with IKM on something as well. :mrgreen: )
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:53 pm

carlaz wrote:...And I'm actually pleased to think we'd get a new AC30-based model or two in a Queen/Brian May collection...

If it were a Brian May collection, technically that would be three AC30s, no?
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby felipecouto75 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:32 pm

I expect better rack delays also.

An upgraded marshall super lead with El34 would be great.

Brain May never used one of them kkkkkkk?
felipecouto75

Postby bart.childers » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:55 pm

Red Pig - pretty decent Plexi IMO.
bart.childers

Postby carlaz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
carlaz wrote:...And I'm actually pleased to think we'd get a new AC30-based model or two in a Queen/Brian May collection...

Well, yes. :roll: Well spotted! :mrgreen:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:53 pm

carlaz wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:

Well, yes. :roll: Well spotted! :mrgreen:

Been a fan most of my life, and playing guitar for about 35 years I've been chasing tone and gear of my idols a bit over that time I'd say :)
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:18 pm

bart.childers wrote:Red Pig - pretty decent Plexi IMO.

I kind of recently (re)discovered the Red Pig while exploring all the 12" guitar speakers, and it is pretty great sounding. (I'm still a bit confused as to why the default matching cab uses Brit 80 speakers, though that sounds cool enough, and it's also fun to try different cab/speaker combos with the Red Pig.) And it does sound much more "plexi-ish" than, say, a Fender Twin or a Mesa Dual Rectifier :mrgreen: though technically the Marshall Majors (on which the Red Pig model is based) had a significantly different circuit (and tubes) than the #1959 Super Leads. The Major preamp is very loud and clean; that would seem great for pedals, except that real Majors apparently tend to blow up :shock: when boosted. Not a problem in the digital-model realm, of course! :mrgreen:

IMO, it's very cool to have the JH Gold and the Red Pig -- and all the rest of the actually fairly extensive collection of Marshall-based (or even Marshall approved) amp models -- in Amplitube, though I would like to see a good ol' EL34-based #1959 Super Lead model myself.

Still, Brian May is not a Marshall guy, so no such model should be expected in a Queen/May collection. The old AC30-based models are from the same era as the British Lead S100, and so it will be well worth seeing them updated.

There's actually quite a bit of info online about May's AC30s -- at least how he uses them at present -- though I'm not sure how much real difference there is with his rig in the past since it's so basic: Rangemaster (or similar) into AC30(s).
  • Regarding the treble-booster, May used a (stock?) Rangemaster on earlier Queen records, then a Pete Cornish boost pedal with silicon instead of germanium transistors and greater (and less trebly) "boost", and more recently a Greg Fryer booster that is likewise silicon-based but somewhere between the Rangemaster and Cornish units in terms of amount of boost and trebly-ness. Technically, I think the Fryer boost circuitry is currently encapsulated in a lightweight enclosure clipped to his guitar strap, since May uses wireless units, but the boost apparently doesn't like being behind them.
  • I gather May's touring amps are basically gutted so that just the "Normal" channel of the original amp is active, and the only functional control is the volume knob. (This would be to improve onstage reliability by eliminating unneeded components.) I believe there was at some point a Brian May signature model AC30 that essentially reproduced this kind of configuration, though it's not currently in production. I also understand his current touring amps replace the original GZ34 valve rectifier with a solid-state (transistor) rectifier, though (those who should know) claim the tone is basically unaffected by this alteration. I don't know the antiquity of this change.
  • Then, at present, he seems to have a mix of Celestion Blue (i.e. Brit Alnico B in Amplitube) and G12H Anniversary (i.e. Brit Anniversary 1 or 2 in Amplitube) speakers going on. (Though the G12H Anniversary speakers appeared in 1994, they presumably weren't on "classic" Queen recordings, though of course the original G12H speakers appeared in the 1960s and existed in a few variants during the 1970s as well. I'm not really sure how similar or different the originals and the "anniversary" reissues may sound!).
Since I've long agitated for Amplitube to include at least some kind of treble booster :mrgreen: I'm very keen to see what we get in a May/Queen bundle: whether it is basically his current unit or whether earlier boost options (Rangemaster, Cornish) are somehow there as well. Still, any version of the boost ought to be appropriate for use with a whole range of '60s/'70s Brit-style amp models (JH Gold, Red Pig, HiAmp, OR120, etc.).

Also, I sort of wonder whether Amplitube versions of May's amp(s) will strictly reproduce the "all unessential electronics removed" configuration, etc. of his touring amps (for hyper authenticity), or whether more "standard" AC30 controls/channels will return (for a bit more versatility), or whether this might be switchable, or there are different amp models, etc.

It should be interesting to find out! :ugeek:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling