Hardware sequencer for Uno Synth?

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Hardware sequencer for Uno Synth?

Postby Gadgetguy » Wed May 29, 2019 3:10 pm

Hello all,

I am interested in finding out what hardware (so not PC) sequencer you would recommend to work with the Uno Synth?

I would obviously need more than the 16 steps offered by the Uno - but other than that, nothing else. And of course: the lowest price is always the best :)

Thank you for any suggestions
Gadgetguy

Re: Hardware sequencer for Uno Synth?

Postby raffivegas » Wed May 29, 2019 6:45 pm

I think the Arturia Keystep or Beatstep is your cheapest option.

https://www.arturia.com/products/keystep/details

From the page above:

In Sequencer mode you can record, play and transpose a polyphonic sequence with up to 64 steps and 8 simultaneous notes per step. Sequencer mode also allows you to rewrite in real-time your sequence and even to play and sequence simultaneously on two different MIDI channels.

I think this is pretty much the only reasonable option under $300. Unless of course by some divine intervention IK releases new firmware for the UNO which adds a 64 step sequencer. One can hope.
raffivegas

Postby Gadgetguy » Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Thank you raffivegas.

I like your suggestion!

Is it fair to assume that any sounds tweaks (control knobs etc.) would also be stored by the Arturia sequencer? So if I replay, not just the notes but all other settings would be replayed?

Sorry if this is a stupid question: I am quite a newbie when it comes to MIDI and Synths...

PS: It is a shame that I need a third party product for something that could be (probably) easily part of the Uno Synth...
Gadgetguy

Postby raffivegas » Wed May 29, 2019 9:54 pm

Is it fair to assume that any sounds tweaks (control knobs etc.) would also be stored by the Arturia sequencer? So if I replay, not just the notes but all other settings would be replayed?

I don't think the Arturia sequencer stores or sequences automation data. I think what you'd have to do is say you have a sequencer sending midi note data to the UNO, you'd also hit PLAY on the UNO sequencer (with a blank sequence on the UNO), then as the UNO sequencer is running, you can hit record on the UNO and record knob automation, but it would loop every 16 steps (the automation).

In other words, if you have the Keystep sending a 64 note sequence to the UNO, you'd hit PLAY and RECORD on the UNO and twiddle the cutoff, the cutoff twiddle will loop every 16 steps. I think this is what would happen, I can confirm tonight.
raffivegas

Postby Gadgetguy » Wed May 29, 2019 11:18 pm

Thank you for checking!

In general - do outside sequencers capture automation or not? Automation data is also midi data, so they should do that, no?

Sorry - I am bit lost here as you can see
Gadgetguy

Postby raffivegas » Thu May 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Gadgetguy wrote:In general - do outside sequencers capture automation or not? Automation data is also midi data, so they should do that, no?

More expensive ones do. For example, the Sequentix Cirklon does, but the price is somewhat unobtanium level ;) Pioneer is releasing a new standalone sequencer that does what you want, but its $600. Seems like that's the price point to get the features you want out of a standalone sequencer.

you can see automation recording on the Pioneer SQUID at the 2:44 mark in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WeesYFe4uk

There are other standalone sequencers which do alot, like the Social Entropy Engine - $700 ish and the Squarp Pyramid (not really my style, but high-endy boutique sequencer none the less).

I've heard old MPC's, like the MPC1000, can be used to sequence all this stuff too.
raffivegas

Postby Gadgetguy » Thu May 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Thank you for explaining.

I am considering now also the Arturia Beatstep Pro - that one still would not allow for automation sequencing, correct?
Gadgetguy

Postby raffivegas » Thu May 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Gadgetguy wrote:Thank you for explaining.

I am considering now also the Arturia Beatstep Pro - that one still would not allow for automation sequencing, correct?

seems like you're doing your research :)

Beatstep pro is a good middle-ground option. Won't break the bank, and does quite a bit, but you are correct in that it still doesn't sequence any extra parameters other than the following additional data:

Note, velocity and gate time settings per step
Note tie

The upshot of the Beatstep Pro is you get 64 steps per sequence 16 sequences, 2 tracks to control synths and a track to control drums. Keep in mind the two synth tracks are mono, meaning you can't hook it up to a polyphonic synth and sequence chords like you can on the Keystep, which is a single-track polyphonic sequencer (has aftertouch too I think).

You're on the right track though (no pun intended) :)
raffivegas

Postby Gadgetguy » Thu May 30, 2019 8:28 pm

So much to learn (and to save up money for :) )

Thank you for the explanations!
Gadgetguy

Postby raffivegas » Thu May 30, 2019 10:15 pm

I'd like to offer some unsolicited advice as you go about your journey. Don't get fixated on the stuff that's super expensive or deluxe if it isn't realistic for you. Get something affordable/within budget, and even if it has limitations, learn to use it and get used to using it. Once you get an initial set of gear, you'll have a baseline of what you really want vs what you think you want.

Also, this forum has been invaluable to me, specifically the electronic music production sub-forum:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/

If you haven't already, register and get familiar with the search function there, should have you covered ;)
raffivegas

Postby Gadgetguy » Fri May 31, 2019 1:43 pm

Thank you - will do a lot of reading and of course experimenting with the Uno before any new purchase.

And in the meantime maybe there is a firmware update, giving us 64 steps for the sequencer

Now I just need to figure out how to do a factory reset as I tend to mess up the presets and I like to have them in default :)
Gadgetguy

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth