2.5mm MIDI Interconnections

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

2.5mm MIDI Interconnections

Postby FailedMuso » Tue May 14, 2019 12:52 pm

With the UNO Drum arriving soon, I was wondering if it was possible to hook it up to the UNO Synth directly over MIDI using a 2.5mm to 2.5mm stereo audio cable negating the need to use the 5pin DIN adapters?

Would this be possible?

Regards,

Rob
FailedMuso

Re: 2.5mm MIDI Interconnections

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue May 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Hey Rob!

The UNO Synth and UNO Drum will both use the MIDI Association standard for their 2.5mm ports, so this is certainly possible with the correct cable.

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/trs-s ... d-released

Both these products include MIDI 2.5mm adapters that allow you to connect to 5-pin DIN MIDI cables. Using a 5-pin DIN MIDI cable you can connect these two units with the included adapters.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby FailedMuso » Tue May 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi Ryan,

EDIT

I just saw this...

"Direct connection between two TRS-equipped devices using cables designed for use with audio equipment is not acceptable because the wires are not twisted pair and are typically individually shielded"

So I would need to have a custom cable made, or just stick with the adapters, I guess...
FailedMuso

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue May 14, 2019 5:52 pm

FailedMuso wrote:Hi Ryan,

EDIT

I just saw this...

"Direct connection between two TRS-equipped devices using cables designed for use with audio equipment is not acceptable because the wires are not twisted pair and are typically individually shielded"

So I would need to have a custom cable made, or just stick with the adapters, I guess...

Notice this says "designed for use with audio equipment". As long as a cable is designed for use with MIDI gear, this should technically work. Unfortunately, we do not have any direct suggestions for this at the time, but as this standard becomes more widely used, I'm sure we will see some new cables out there. With a quick look, I'm mainly seeing adapters and breakouts out there.

Essentially, if your two 2.5mm connectors use the MIDI Association standard shown in the article of my last post, this should work flawlessly.

Since we normally use our adapters and cables in office, we have not directly tested a custom cable.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby FailedMuso » Tue May 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Thanks again, Ryan!

My UNO Drum is on its way prior to IMSTA FESTA and I have plenty of adapters and old fashioned cables to play with. I think I might invest in some short run cables as most of mine are "studio length" ;)

If I make any discoveries regarding 2.5mm cables, I'll post my findings here :)

Rob.
FailedMuso

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue May 14, 2019 7:01 pm

We look forward to hearing your findings :D

Have fun at IMSTA fest! IMSTA is always a great show with great people.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth